Author Topic: Cup size  (Read 5398 times)

salger

I've been lurking here for a while and haven't seen this question come up. If you do wear a support garment, at what cup size did you find it necessary. I'm considering it, with a 46" "under bust" and a 54" upper.  This could be a "d" cup in some cases, I think.  Primarily for nipple chafing and "bounce".   What other problems do people have when they don't wear a bra?

hammer

As for cup size it goes by the inch differance between the size of under the breast and then around the breast with a good support bra on.

Example, say your 50" under and 55" across the breast that would be plus 5" or a DD cup so you would want a 50DD Bra. That is common in many bras, but you will find that there are differences in one brand to the next. Myself I'm a little bigger then DD but I wear the DD as it flattens them out some "as if that really makes much of a differance anyway"!

As far as what do I get when I don't wear one? Sore neck and shoulders, rash or cut like under the breast in the fold as well as the chafing.

Wearing the bra is far more conforting to the breast, but after some time I also need a break from it as well!

Welcome to the forum!

Bob

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I guess what the problems are depends upon what you are doing. Years ago I used a bra when backpacking. The shoulder straps on the packframe  were a great annoyance and the bra was a great help. I still do a bit of day hiking, but no need for a bra. as my little day pack does not bother in the same way and I have not done any serious backpacking since my late 50's.

The other issue is the crease under the breast. As I put on more weightand the breasts sag due to age there is a tendency to develop a sweat-rash in that fold. A garment that could wick away the perspiration is a great help.

Straps can sometimes still be an issue, but not the backpack straps. The diagonal safety belt in my Pickup does not bother, but the one in my wife's car is a real pain.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Cisco

• Bronze Member
Since most guys with gyno who decide to wear a bra do so for the purpose of comfort I'm not sure whether there is a "minimum" band and cup size before resorting to wearing a bra.  And based upon pasting posting guys mention a range of sizes.  For me a bra eliminates the bounce and jiggle when walking and the "weight" of my breasts when sitting.  Bottomline I feel more comfortable when wearing a bra.

Offline walt

• Gold Member
hi guys as for me I usually wear a medium impact sports bra in a 2x but sometimes get T shirt style sports bras in a 46 or a style I found on QVC called Breezees in a 1x with an A/B shirred cup that works really well and  fits my breast shape  and not noticeable under an oversized t shirt.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I agree with Walt.

At my age I'm not so much involved in the kinds of activities where I need support these days but an athletic bra would be my choice if support was needed.

Offline Anon E Mouse

• Bronze Member
We're all built differently and what is comfortable for me might drive you nuts, and the other way around. I've found that what is often the most comfortable to wear does the least to hide me, and what is often the least comfortable to wear does the most to hide me. You may or may not find the same thing. No one here (or anywhere else), can tell you when (at what size) you should consider a bra. Only you can determine that, if at all. For me, it was when I became so uncomfortable without one that wearing one was more of a relief than a problem. I have little doubt that should you reach that point you'll know it.

Anon

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Going back to the original question.

Athletic bras do not have sized cups. They are a type of compression garment and are all elastic. They tend to flatten the breast and can be rather uncomfortable as a result.

Bras with shaped cups really need to be fitted. Some shops will provide men with professional fittings but an understanding wife or sweetheart might also help.

hammer

My doctor just recommend at my last appointment to have my wife (Debbie) setup a bra fitting for me. As you know I've been wearing one for a long time off and one but I can only stand it for so long! My doctor said that I should try to get some that are more comfortable so I can wear them more to reduce the strain from the weight of the breast.

aboywithgirls

Athletic Bras now come in cup and band sizes in the higher end brands such as freya and Panache.  I have one of each in the 38 DD size. I love these for jogging. I don't think I could do any sports without it on. Both of these bras are firm but they don't smushed the girls.  I was fitted for both of these and very happy with the results.

aboywithgirls

Every guy will have a different level of comfort when it comes to when he starts to wear a bra. It's usually when he's more comfortable wearing a bra rather than care what other people think. I started at a 36 B just out of high school and 20 years later I'm still more comfortable wearing a 38 DD.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024