Author Topic: The lonely road to surgery  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Xavier

• Bronze Member
After suffering of severe gyno for almost a decade, I finally have all the guts and money to pursue complete recovery of my condition. I had to lose a substantial amount of weight to be even allowed to have surgery. The weight loss itself was a lonely road, but the road to surgery is definitely lonelier as I haven't told anyone about this. I've had to struggle and beg for the money needed for surgery without revealing any of my plans.

The thought of going under the knife without anyone knowing is quite disturbing to say the least. Especially how I live by myself and my relatives live quite far from me.

My final consult will be planned soon where I will write down every single thing I have to do before and after surgery. I'm sure there are a lot of things I will have to do since I will not be having anyone in the house to help me.

Offline xelnaga13

Have you considered joining a weight loss class/group/forum?

Offline Xavier

• Bronze Member
Nope, my weight loss is going well.

Right now the primary concern is removing the breast tissue.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Any burden that is shared is easier to carry.

Hopefully you have one special friend or family member that you can share this with.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, the road can be lonely, but keep your eye on the prize.

Losing weight prior to surgery is your wisest move -- but be aware that several conditions may then be possible: 1) your skin may have lost elasticity resulting in lax skin which would have to be removed at the same time that the excess breast tissue is removed, 2) the nipple may have to be re-positioned on your chest if it is too low, and 3) there may be extra fat and/or loose skin on the side of your chest which would have to be addressed as well.

If you plan to go for a consultation, make sure you have read the "rules" of this forum:

1. Make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon who has demonstrated interest and expertise in gyne surgery and who can show you a full book of before and after photos
2. Go to several surgeons, if possible, for various opinions  -- then choose the one in whom you have the most confidence and comfort.

My best personal advice:  don't let the fee be the ultimate decision maker -- if you get a good result it will be with you a long time, and long after the fee is forgotten.

And finally, heed Paa_Paw's advice if at all possible.  Surgery is made much easier for you if you have at least one caring person on your side.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024