Author Topic: Forum Old Timers  (Read 2604 times)

Offline speedracer22

• Posting Member
Can any of the old timers on the forum (or anyone 1 1/2 years post operation) drop some wisdom on me regarding long term satisfaction with this surgery?

I realize a good bit is Surgeon-specific but is there medical literature that addresses this?

What about regrowth in older males? Is it more common than having the surgery in your 20's?

Is getting a blood workup and consultation with an endocrinologist a must?

Finally, are there real chemistry-based solutions to this or does having it since adolescence indicate surgery is the only option.

Great to get advice on the list, but it would be greater from the gents that have had time to settle in after surgery.

Much Thanks.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Can any of the old timers on the forum (or anyone 1 1/2 years post operation) drop some wisdom on me regarding long term satisfaction with this surgery?

I'm 43 and almost 3 years post-op. Very satisfied so far!  ;)

What about regrowth in older males? Is it more common than having the surgery in your 20's?

Regrowth, from what I understand, is very uncommon...  at any age....

Is getting a blood workup and consultation with an endocrinologist a must?

No, but it could be beneficial.....

Finally, are there real chemistry-based solutions to this or does having it since adolescence indicate surgery is the only option.

All those 'Magic Potions' do not work...  Surgery is the only option, at any age....  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I think that Bambu answered quite well so there is little more to say.

I was born in 1937 and have had Gynecomastia since age 12 in 1949. I think that allows me to claim the title of old timer.

When I was  young, surgical methods were comparatively crude and liposuction did not even exist.

Modern surgical techniques have only been around for about 20 years. This was a bit late for me and as I've said before, If I had the funds to pay for surgery I'd probably use it for a down payment on a sailboat instead. Truly, my concerns and priorities have changed over time.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline Robin_G

• Bronze Member
Hi Mate

I'm a 35 year old guy who had the op in Jan last year......not been on here in ages

I did it with a guy called Levick in Birmingham

I was 'fairly' satisfied with the results but what it meant was that whilst it wasn't perfect, it went far enough to enable me to be able to take over from there and sort the rest out down the gym, and to be honest I've gone from spending half my life avoiding exposing my chest under any circumstances to people going out of their way saying that I'm looking really fit now

Just being able to wear normal clothes without feeling paranoid and self conscious would have done for me so all the rest is just a great bonus. It seemed pointless even going to the gym before as when the rest of you looks fit and toned, the moobs just look even dafter

I spent a long time looking at alternatives to this as I didn't fancy the pain (there isn't really any anyway as I found out) or cost of an op, but looking back I wish I'd just bitten the bullet and had it done when I first heard about

I don't think regrowth is a major problem either regardless of age, although I suppose the older you are the harder it is to keep weight off, but thats a different issue really

The bottom line is, I recall using this board religiously at the time of and just before the op, and everyone who went in for the op was happy to greater or lesser extents, but over time all agreed that the difference made the whole process worthwhile, even if one or two went for revisions or like me had to put a bit of hard work in afterwards to completely finish the job

Just go for it......

Good luck all

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024