Author Topic: Anesthesia  (Read 6208 times)

Offline MSJ108

What type of anesthesia did you guys have? I will be completely out. Little nervous about it.

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
General.

I was also anxious about it, but it was a piece of cake man. They give you alot of stuff before they knock ya out  ;). Mine was done through IV.

Offline MSJ108

gotcha. they put a breathing tube in your throat as well?

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
Hmm, not on me. Atleast not while I was awake.

I was laying down on this, err, what do you call it, operationboard(?). Had my arms spread out, like a cross (just like Jesus  ;D). They tested my bloodpressure on one arm, while they put IV in the other arm. I asked the nurse what kind of meds she was giving me, and she said that it'd help me relax. I don't remember anything after that. I was just laying there, waiting for it to kick in.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
The great thing about general anesthesia is, you're not aware of anything going on.  Ryan, you probably had a tube slipped down your windpipe to support your respiration, or possibly a "laryngeal mask" that sits in the back of your throat.  That allows the anesthetist to help you breathe during the operation.  You can be partially or completely controlled (respiration) by the anesthetist, and the beauty of this is, you never know a tube was slipped in or removed.  Now some docs do this procedure under local anesthesia (usually gland removal, but lipo CAN be done under local as well, with a little IV sedative on board).  I prefer a general anesthetic, though, because the patient feels no pain, including the pain associated with injection of the local.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=14140.msg98660#msg98660 date=1210964552]
The great thing about general anesthesia is, you're not aware of anything going on.  Ryan, you probably had a tube slipped down your windpipe to support your respiration, or possibly a "laryngeal mask" that sits in the back of your throat.  That allows the anesthetist to help you breathe during the operation.  You can be partially or completely controlled (respiration) by the anesthetist, and the beauty of this is, you never know a tube was slipped in or removed.  Now some docs do this procedure under local anesthesia (usually gland removal, but lipo CAN be done under local as well, with a little IV sedative on board).  I prefer a general anesthetic, though, because the patient feels no pain, including the pain associated with injection of the local.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Yea, it's great =)

Pope, do you mind me asking; is local anesthesia much cheaper than general anesthesia? (in terms of cost for the surgeon).

Thanks!

• Supporting Doctors
That depends on the surgeon and what he/she is comfortable with.  You can perform surgery under straight local, with no sedation (not typically done with gynecomastia).  In cases like that, there's no anesthetist present, so no anesthesia cost.  However, if the surgeon wants the patient sedated to make him more comfortable, there are two options:  1) the surgeon can be responsible for the patient's level of sedation, ususally with a staff nurse monitoring vital signs, OR 2) the anesthetist can manage the sedation and monitor the patient's respiration, blood pressure, etc.  In that case, the anesthesia charges apply.  You usually pay for the anesthesia service, regardless of the level of anesthesia provided.  Make sense?  (BTW, I prefer to have the anesthetist manage the sedation).

Dr. Pope, M.D.

Offline RyanMace

• Gold Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=14140.msg98667#msg98667 date=1210967398]
That depends on the surgeon and what he/she is comfortable with.  You can perform surgery under straight local, with no sedation (not typically done with gynecomastia).  In cases like that, there's no anesthetist present, so no anesthesia cost.  However, if the surgeon wants the patient sedated to make him more comfortable, there are two options:  1) the surgeon can be responsible for the patient's level of sedation, ususally with a staff nurse monitoring vital signs, OR 2) the anesthetist can manage the sedation and monitor the patient's respiration, blood pressure, etc.  In that case, the anesthesia charges apply.  You usually pay for the anesthesia service, regardless of the level of anesthesia provided.  Make sense?  (BTW, I prefer to have the anesthetist manage the sedation).

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Makes sense. Thanks alot doc for your quick response.

Kind regards.

Offline MSJ108

Thanks Doc!!

I heard local was cheaper. I guess I heard wrong.

• Supporting Doctors
That depends on the surgeon and what he/she is comfortable with.  You can perform surgery under straight local, with no sedation (not typically done with gynecomastia).  In cases like that, there's no anesthetist present, so no anesthesia cost.

Offline MSJ108

[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=14140.msg98697#msg98697 date=1210992027]
That depends on the surgeon and what he/she is comfortable with.  You can perform surgery under straight local, with no sedation (not typically done with gynecomastia).  In cases like that, there's no anesthetist present, so no anesthesia cost.
[/quote]

gotcha!

Offline jtd993

• Posting Member
I had general anesthesia by a nurse anesthetist and couldn't be happier.  Laid down on the table and it felt like a 5 minute power nap and I heard my name- it was over and I felt fine.  The surgery took an hour.

Offline reymysterio

• Bronze Member
I had local plus IV sedation and I'd say I've been quite comfortable and relaxed.
You can find the success before sweating only on your dictionary.

Offline jackson318

• Posting Member
I had general as well - the first time I was ever under general.  Other surgeries were either local or just twilight.  Since I've never had a reaction (sickness, naseua) from those previous surgeries, I didn't bother to fill the Rx for anti-nausea medication, but really wished I had - I was COMPLETELY nauseated for the rest of the day after the surgery.

So, even if you tend to take drugs well, I'd ask about something in case you get nauseated.  Outside of that, it's easy - nothing to be worried about.  Like the previous poster said, the last thing you'll remember is them putting something in your IV, yadda yadda, you're in the recovery room.

Offline gyne23

• Posting Member
I had surgery little over a month ago and I was nervous about the Anesthesia as well...

I don't drink or do any type of drugs, so when people kept telling me I was going to feel either drunk or high, I had no idea what to associate that with since I'm just not into those things..

However, it went like this...

I got the IV.. (Painless, absolutely zero pain)

I went into the operating room and was put on the table, one of the nurses put a nose breathing tube in my nose.. (You know the little clear thing that older people with oxygen tanks put in their nose to help them breathe ?)

At any rate, I can remember vividly starring up at the ceiling, listening to the docs, and thinking to myself: "This stuff can't put me to sleep, I feel fine, I'm completely coherent"

BAM !!!!!

Next thing I know I'm up and the doc asks me how was my nap and how do I feel ??

I got up and felt (what I assume is really groggy-- Things were spinning).. I couldn't wait to put my clothes and shoes on.. But I needed some time because my head was all over the place..

Now here's the weird the part..  I remember waking up, and trying to put my clothes and shoes on.. But, I don't remember being wheeled to the car, stopping at a local soup shop or getting back to my hotel..

I remember being in the hotel that night, and how the night progressed.. (being sore, what I watched on TV, ate, drank etc..) But for some reason that middle part I can't remember.. And it was that way the very next day...Which I guess is what a lot of drunk people go through the next day as well... I just find it funny that I remember waking up, but can't remember what happened for a portion of time after that...

But I guess that's the anesthesia...

Don't worry about it... It's a piece of cake, and you don't feel a thing... You're literally up, out, and back up again, and you don't even notice it..

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024