Author Topic: vain  (Read 4093 times)

Offline bennj51189

• Bronze Member
I have had gynecomastia pretty much as long as I can remember and I am now 19, I have been thinking about surgery a lot lately but almost feel so vain for wanting it. Yes, the gyno gets me down alot but im trying my best to live with it and just loose weight in general and look good otherwise and ignore the fact that I have moobs, a huge reason why I am questioning if its vain is probably because my brother has gyno and could care less about it and lives life normally and also my parents call me vain for wanting the surgery and do not support getting it at all. I am not even talking about spending so much money on my looks (roughly 8000, that I dont have yet) which could be spent alot better. Should I feel vain for wanting the surgery, yes I get really down because of them from time to time and it keeps me back from doing certain things ( which makes me think its not vain for wanting the surgery, because I should be able to anything in life, right?) but  after all its just the way I look, and maybe I should be confident with the way god made me and not let my moobs inhibit me from doing things? But at the same time its extremely difficult to do that, and I would just feel so much better about myself afterwards and kinda make it my rebirth, but then at the same time its just looks.

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
Everyones different mentally and physically, what's fine for one person is horrible to another... some people can live with it some people can't... If it affects your life in any bad way then you are NOT vain for wanting to fix it. Don't worry about it, save your money up, it's yours to spend on what you like and I'm sure your parents would understand why you need to get surgery.

Offline moobzSUck

• Posting Member
If it bother's you then just go through with the surgery, don't listen to other people you know yourself more than anyone else.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
A lot of men simply live with it while many others have surgery.

If it troubles you, take steps to get rid of it. If it causes you no grief, Don't try to fix what isn't broken.

The choice is entirely a personal one.

You'd get no flack from me either way.
Grandpa Dan

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I don't think vanity comes into it.  breasts on men is an abomination and I only got the operation to "normalise" my appearance, not to cosmetically enhance it like breast implants on a woman.

But if it doesn't bother you then thats great...you get to save thousands of $...
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline bennj51189

• Bronze Member
no it for sure bothers me, I just feel vain for letting it bother me as it is an aesthetic issue.
 And on top of it my family whom I deeply look up to, think it is vain, and I cant say they dont know what its like to live with it, because my brother has it and does, so this makes it much worse.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:45:47 AM by bennj51189 »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
And on top of it my family whom I deeply look up to, think it is vain, and I cant say they dont know what its like to live with it, because my brother has it and does, so this makes it much worse.

Vain: having or showing undue or excessive pride in one's appearance or achievements.

Dude... this is not a case of Excessive Pride. This is a case of wanting to be relieved from the day-to-day stress/anxiety that is related to Gynecomastia. For most, it's a terrible burden to live with. Especially in the teen years. Feeling the need to be liberated from mans worst nightmare is not vanity my friend, it's a case of wanting not to look like a female... Plain and simple!

As for your brother, well.... you are not him. You have your own feelings/thoughts my man. People should respect this fact...  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline MSJ108

good post grandpa

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
 ;)

GB

Offline NH

• Posting Member
My brother and I both have gyne. My brother could care less; however, my gyne is larger than his and he's a more slender person, thus is less prone to bulking up and having more obvious gyne. My brother doesn't want surgery; I do. Everyone has a different case and different reasons. I'm sorry to hear that your parents don't support you in the surgery, but they should realize that just like you and your brother don't wear the same clothes, you don't feel the same inside of them; you're separate minds and neither of you should be expected to think like the other.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I do not feel this is an instance of vanity.

Ditto what GB said.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024