Author Topic: Remote Consultation or In Office Visit ?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline mizuno

• Gold Member
Just wondering how many of you guys have had the consultation via remotely or in person ?
I think I would prefer to do it in person so as their would be no surprises.

And if any of the doctors are reading this what are the percentages ?

Thanks,

Mizuno

DrBermant

Just wondering how many of you guys have had the consultation via remotely or in person ?
I think I would prefer to do it in person so as their would be no surprises.

And if any of the doctors are reading this what are the percentages ?

Thanks,

Mizuno

I evolved my Preliminary Remote Discussion over the years to help patients minimize travel.  However, this discussion does not replace the in office evaluation and examination.  Any plans based on forms and pictures are best only tentative and refined in person.  With pictures specific for normal gynecomastia, revision gynecomastia, weight loss and sagging male chest, I am able to have a very high percentage to predict what I will find in person.  The extended information we work with during the remote can lead to recommendations for other consultations like an Endocrinologist or clearances like someone with significant medical problems.

Some of my patients prefer the in office without starting with the remote.  I have had patients travel from Asia, Africa, Europe, and Australia just to meet with me without the remote knowing that they would need to travel back for surgery.  With some patients, I need the in office evaluation before I can offer surgery.  These tend to be much more complex messes and scars that I need to better understand the problem before offering surgery.  This last situation is quite rare.

For local patients, the in office consult is much better and less expensive.  For those traveling great distances, the preliminary discussion helps minimize travel but still needs the in office confirmatory examination.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have many patients come for surgery from around the world.  Oftentimes, they prefer to do this on a one time basis, rather than come for a consultation and then return for the surgery.

For many patients, an email consultation is very helpful for a preliminary assessment of the patient.  This consists of a medical history and specific photographs.  A young, healthy male with minimal to moderate gyne is ideal for this type of evaluation.  Older men, patients who have lost significant amounts of weight or who have large gyne generally need careful assessment and discussion about the best courses of treatment -- and therefore an in-office consultation prior to scheduling surgery is ideal. 

I always insist on meeting at least one or several days prior to surgery in order to confirm the examination, explain everything to the patient and most important, make sure we are comfortable with one another.  And of course, all needed medical tests and evaluations (medical clearance, endo evaluations, etc) must be satisfactorily completed and the results received in my office prior to any scheduled surgery.

I usually offer this preliminary email consultation for free.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024