Author Topic: Found out I have low testosterone  (Read 9029 times)

Offline D24

• Bronze Member
Hi, some of you may have read my posts in the past some may not. For those who have not; I had lipo only last year which left gland behind and then went private (uk) to have the glandular tissue removed. I'd never had any blood tests but after being told I didn't need one by two sepeart surgeons I decided i would demand one for my peace of mind. Turns out i've got low testosterone and have to see an endocrinologist. Has anyone else been thru this and any advice/info anyone can give me?
Thanks in advance

DrBermant

Hi, some of you may have read my posts in the past some may not. For those who have not; I had lipo only last year which left gland behind and then went private (uk) to have the glandular tissue removed. I'd never had any blood tests but after being told I didn't need one by two sepeart surgeons I decided i would demand one for my peace of mind. Turns out i've got low testosterone and have to see an endocrinologist. Has anyone else been thru this and any advice/info anyone can give me?
Thanks in advance

Testing is normally not normally necessary for gynecomastia patients without symptorms. Low Testosterone normally is found with symptoms. When my patients have Gynecomastia Symptoms of Growth or Stimulation, they get an endocrinology evaluation before I operate. That is the best way I know how to minimize recurrence after gynecomastia surgery.

Testing alone is not adequate. Someone with such symptoms should be evaluated by an endocrinologist. Actually low testosterone levels can occur in normal people. It depends what time of day the test was drawn and not all labs have the same quality. A good Endocrinologist will evaluate a patient before ordering tests. Many of my referring endocrinologists have told me that they sometimes do not trust certain labs for testing. Early morning testosterone testing is best.  Late in the day testing can be low in a normal individual without symptoms of having low testosterone.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Plarkin

• Bronze Member
Thanks in advance

How low?

Offline Sharky

• Posting Member
When I took the plunge and opted for surgery I has the good fortune of a brilliant doctor. She really gave it a lot of thought and I have ended up (following a blood test) going to see a hematologist for low white blood platelets and the endocrinologist for low testosterone. A simple blood test with him (get used to donating the red stuff) and I shall be receiving jabs to bring the level up to normal. I was offered a cream and fortnightly injection, but have settled for a three monthly jab which will be a literal pain in the arse. They are also looking for Kleinfelters syndrome (small testicles, erectile dysfunction, not much body hair are a few of the symptoms) and it is perhaps a shame that this was not diagnosed before now (aged 51). It believe my sperm count has been affected so badly that I have never been able to have children. Early diagnosis the the key to prevent problems in later life.

DrBermant

When I took the plunge and opted for surgery I has the good fortune of a brilliant doctor. She really gave it a lot of thought and I have ended up (following a blood test) going to see a hematologist for low white blood platelets and the endocrinologist for low testosterone. A simple blood test with him (get used to donating the red stuff) and I shall be receiving jabs to bring the level up to normal. I was offered a cream and fortnightly injection, but have settled for a three monthly jab which will be a literal pain in the arse. They are also looking for Kleinfelters syndrome (small testicles, erectile dysfunction, not much body hair are a few of the symptoms) and it is perhaps a shame that this was not diagnosed before now (aged 51). It believe my sperm count has been affected so badly that I have never been able to have children. Early diagnosis the the key to prevent problems in later life.

If this is the final diagnosis, that is sad. A simple testicle exam often quickly reveals this condition as most Klinefelter patients have very small volume testicles. Unfortunately not all Klinefelter's Syndrome Patients are diagnosed early. Listen to the video about the emotion of that patient's very late in life diagnosis of his XXY condition.

Klinefelter's Syndrome is best stabilized first before considering male chest contouring. Each has their own preferences for the Testosterone replacement. Infrequent injections tend to lead to significant peaks and valleys of testosterone levels. More frequent medication more closely resembles the daily variations seen in normal male bodies.

Here are some of the Klinefelter's Syndrome XXY resources on the Internet my patients have found valuable.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Sharky

• Posting Member
More tests today - have low white blood cells, was tested for heart problems, have been put on steroids for the blood disorder, testosterone injections on Tuesday. Need to lose weight for the surgery but the steroids stop that happening. I fear a hot summer. I only want to be normal.... :'(

DrBermant

More tests today - have low white blood cells, was tested for heart problems, have been put on steroids for the blood disorder, testosterone injections on Tuesday. Need to lose weight for the surgery but the steroids stop that happening. I fear a hot summer. I only want to be normal.... :'(

Being patient can evolve into a stable problem.

Starting Testosterone can be an amazing process if the brain was deprived of that essential hormone. Many have described the experience as "wiring getting connected," "a light switch turning on," "an awakening." Losing weight before surgery can make a real difference when fat is a significant factor.

Body Shaping Compression Garments are a major contour improvement that can offer a temporizing solution while issues are being stabilized.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Sharky

• Posting Member
Many thanks for that - jabs are on Tuesday, will post what happens....

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
Hello,

I myself have told everyone my story here on this site. I can tell you personally that I went ahead and saw an endocrinologist. They diagnosed me with low testesterone development. This essentially solidified that these low levels may have been what caused my severe gynecomastia (can be seen on the link below.) Before going into surgery, I had the tests sent to Dr. Elliot Jacobs and he determined that surgery was the best option.

Seeing an endocrinologist is always the #1 priority before going into surgery!

-Oleska-
Surgery Date: 6/06/06
Surgeon: Dr. Elliot Jacobs M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., P.C.
Procedure: Liposuction and incision under the nipple.
Cost: $6,500
Discovery Health: Plastic Surgery Before and After I was featured in: http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/teen_dhc_video1.html

Offline Sharky

• Posting Member
Had the jab 9 hours ago - seem to have a bit more energy but maybe need to sleep on it tonight.

DrBermant

Had the jab 9 hours ago - seem to have a bit more energy but maybe need to sleep on it tonight.

Testosterone injections are typically oil based. They take some time for the level to rise unlike patches or topical delivery systems which act within minutes. The levels then rise to what some consider too high. Before the next injection, the levels then fall to what some consider to be way too low. That is why most endocrinologists I have discussed the issue with say they have moved away from injections for low testosterone to something that can be dosed daily. There are a few advantages to injections, they cost less, it can be administered by someone else making it a better system for treating irresponsible individuals, and extremely high levels of testosterone can be achieved (some chemical body shaping individuals seem to prefer such high non-physiologic levels).

Good luck on your treatments. Some of the questions I asked during my interviews of Klinefelter Syndrome testosterone use included: what was it like before and after testosterone therapy: watching a movie, reading a book, listening to music, being in a crowd of people, tasting food, smelling flowers, and purchasing something in a store. The answers were fascinating.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Sharky

• Posting Member

Testosterone injections are typically oil based. They take some time for the level to rise unlike patches or topical delivery systems which act within minutes. The levels then rise to what some consider too high. Before the next injection, the levels then fall to what some consider to be way too low. That is why most endocrinologists I have discussed the issue with say they have moved away from injections for low testosterone to something that can be dosed daily. There are a few advantages to injections, they cost less, it can be administered by someone else making it a better system for treating irresponsible individuals, and extremely high levels of testosterone can be achieved (some chemical body shaping individuals seem to prefer such high non-physiologic levels).

Good luck on your treatments. Some of the questions I asked during my interviews of Klinefelter Syndrome testosterone use included: what was it like before and after testosterone therapy: watching a movie, reading a book, listening to music, being in a crowd of people, tasting food, smelling flowers, and purchasing something in a store. The answers were fascinating.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

I think I may have been expecting too much too soon. Two days in and I don't feel very different, the next dose is set for three weeks time. I wonder if the steroids I am on for a Low White Blood Count have an affect (Prednisolone) on the other drugs. I am back for another blood test in 8 days so I suppose I might have a better idea then.  A poor sleep pattern does not help at the mo'. Need a weekend off work, really.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Some of the questions I asked during my interviews of Klinefelter Syndrome testosterone use included: what was it like before and after testosterone therapy: watching a movie, reading a book, listening to music, being in a crowd of people, tasting food, smelling flowers, and purchasing something in a store. The answers were fascinating.

What were some of the answers doc?

Sounds interesting...

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

DrBermant

Some of the questions I asked during my interviews of Klinefelter Syndrome testosterone use included: what was it like before and after testosterone therapy: watching a movie, reading a book, listening to music, being in a crowd of people, tasting food, smelling flowers, and purchasing something in a store. The answers were fascinating.

What were some of the answers doc?

Sounds interesting...

GB...

That project involved many hours of taped video interviews. You can see 2 tiny sample clips here:

Emotions of Living with Klinefelter's Syndrome.

Common issues were that there was increased awareness, thinking ability, clarity, connection to thoughts, less foggy, and better senses. Each had their own variations, not all experienced the same issues.

Yes, it was interesting. Perhaps one day I will take the time to process some more of that video for public education.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
Very interesting stuff.

I know this is a condition many speak of on this site. It's nice to finally see what it's all about.

Thanks,
Eric

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024