Author Topic: excision vs lipo opinions!!!!!!  (Read 3574 times)

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
Hey guys, just interested in seeing your opinions on this.

Say there is a person with gynecomastia suffering mainly from big puffed out nipples, and maybe a little bit of fat around the chest but not much. Would you say the most critical aspect of this person's operation would be the excision of the glands, or the liposuction?
Or maybe you think both are equally important?  Tell me what you think!! I personally think excision is the most important aspect as it gets rid of the glands which are the primary problems causing the enlargement or puffiness.

Also, do you think its possible for excision to be enough, without liposuction? Or is it simply impossible to be satisfied with having excision only?

Offline Bradley07

• Silver Member
well, like most things in life..it depends. in terms of the puffiness of nipples, you are correct that excision would be the most important aspect in my opinion, as it's usually more successful in removing the gland that makes the nipples puff out. if you need lipo or not depends on how much fat you have...best to let the ps decide that, i think.

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
Thanks for your input. Anyone else?? :D

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I would agree with Juice and Bradley.  Since there's no way for a P.S. to really know the fat/gland ratio until surgery, it would be difficult to say for sure which would be most important as a blanket statement.  Do a site search for Dr. Bermant's posts and you'll find a wealth of information on this subject.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Hypo-is-here

I have never heard of anyone being satisfied with lipo only surgery.  I am sure there are some people out there but I have never heard from them.

What I do know is that it is often impossible to tell the difference between fat and gland, at least according to a top surgeon who posts on this site.  He says that fat is usually soft but can be hard and that gland is usually hard but can be soft.  He says that the only way to tell what is what for sure is removing it and seeing it when it is in his hand.

If this is the case and you choose lipo only because your surgeon tells you it is fat only and he turns out to be wrong you have a problem.

I have known of lots and lots of people who have had lipo only (people who have said as much on this site) who have been very unhappy with the results.  It often seems to reveal the glandular tissue that is there even more!

I think lipo only is a very bad idea on the basis of the above and would never consider it as an option- that is just my feeling/opinion.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 02:20:27 AM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline Jol

Allrite, i was thinking of getting rid of my gynaecomestia, and i have seen a doc and he tells me , he will do a lipposuction . reason being is i have stage one gynae and so he just will remove it with the lippo. No wim worried if thats enuff . He says it is but im not sure after reading your posts !!

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
Liposuction only gets rid of fat, not glandular tissue. It is primarily the glandular tissue that causes the gynecomastia.

So its possible to be satisfied with the results of an excision only, but to be satisfied with lipo only the chances for that are slim, correct?

Offline Jol

Maybe thats true , but the doc says since i have stage 1 gynae, its only necessary to get rid of teh fat cells . No hard tissue or stuff  , so lippo should be enuff. that was the opinion of two docs . They say nowadays lippo is teh normal thing to be done and there wont be reoccurence of gynae . Now im worried silly . When they told me that i was really interested in going ahead with it , but a family friend whos also a doc says the same thing as u guys , that maybe just a lippo isnt such a good idea. So damn confused !!!!

Offline MRD

• Gold Member
Well, gland tissue can be soft....so it may seem like it is only fat under there.

Offline rocketrob

• Silver Member
  • GYNO IS A BIATCH!
I am scheduled for my second revision because the PS thought I just needed lipo.... he did lipo 2 times because he felt no glandular material under my nipple....

He now agrees he must do an excision...  this will be my 3rd visit in 10 months... Hope its my last

I had no hard glandular feel... but I had puffy nips after both visits

Bottom line... lipo and excision are prob best.... even if the excision is just for a peek... 3 visits is wayyyyyyyyyy to many  LOL

Offline nargle

• Posting Member
I agree, I've had lipo only and the results are that I STILL have puffy areolas.  Go for a doc who at least offers excision in my opinion.

Offline Hypo-is-here

I see as a fairly common problem if these boards over two years are anything to go by;

Some plastic surgeons do not fully appreciate the difficulty in differentiating fat from glandular mass on examination and perform liposuction only.

If they end up wrong in their assesment, something where chance is involved given the issues, the patient is the one who suffers.

rocketrob and nargle know more about how this happens in practice so take it from those who know.

Offline turbojoe

• Posting Member
Almost all  the people that had liposuction alone seem to be very unhappy with their results.

Offline harmon570

• Posting Member
i decided for excision and lipo..the lipo evens out the area after the tissue has been removed. 3 days post op today. got my first view and so far very happy. good luck

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
I can't stress enough the importance of both excision and lipo.

I'd even go so far to say have your PS cut around the areola to see if there's any excess in gland there.

Afterall, you really can't tell until you get in there and if the PS is quality, you won't even see the scar.

Fear of scarring is way more attention than it deserves.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024