Author Topic: Vest post-op  (Read 3656 times)

Offline gee24

• Posting Member
Hi, I am now 3-weeks post-op and I am wondering how much longer must I wear a vest? My doctor advised me to wear it for the full month after the op and I plan to do so, but would I have to continue using a compression vest thereafter? I meet with my doctor at the one month post-op checkup, but as of now, I'm quite curious. Any constructive feed back will be greatly appreciated. Also, what type of vest do you recommend (each stage, i.e, weekly, monthly, etc,) at each stage level?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every doctor has his own routine for what works best in his hands.

I generally recommend wearing the compression garment for at least a month -- or longer if you can take it -- it can only help, it will not hurt.

After the one month, I usually recommend continuing with a very snug latex-type garment, such as an Under Armour.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hi, I am now 3-weeks post-op and I am wondering how much longer must I wear a vest? My doctor advised me to wear it for the full month after the op and I plan to do so, but would I have to continue using a compression vest thereafter? I meet with my doctor at the one month post-op checkup, but as of now, I'm quite curious. Any constructive feed back will be greatly appreciated. Also, what type of vest do you recommend (each stage, i.e, weekly, monthly, etc,) at each stage level?

There are two stages for wearing Compression Garments After Gynecomastia Surgery. A Stage 1 Compression Garment is for protecting tissues. The adjustable garment better suits this purpose since it is easier to get on and off. Stage 2 Compression Garments can really help with the scars. Scars that evolve under pressure do much better than scars that do not have pressure on them. This double layer garment does a better job of compression but is too dangerous to wear after surgery. Continuing pressure until scars have evolved puts a patient at the best advantage for the best scars.

I prefer to individualize the timing for how long each of my patients needs their compression. That is why asking your own surgeon is the best resource for that doctor's techniques.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline gee24

• Posting Member
Thank you all for your opinion, it is truly appreciated.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024