Author Topic: Curious  (Read 3328 times)

Offline darippa3131

What is the pain factor like? I'm just wondering how long it would be before i could return to work? If possible could you rate the pain from 1-10 or compare it to some other sort of injury.

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
Do you mean after surgery?

You wont be in pain as such (you will be on pain medication), and for a couple of weeks you will feel tender when you move. If you are in lots of pain, something is wrong (you might have an infection) and you should see your doctor. You shouldn't need pain killers for more than a few days. The first few days if you didn't take pain killers, you will feel like you have been lifting weights for a few hours straight, but you won't be stinging (it depends on the technique, how much you get removed, whether you get lipo etc as well), but you won't be able to do much.

Absolutely no heavy lifting for a few weeks either!!

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
also varies from case to case.  some have described it like a really really intense workout.
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline mannyman742

• Silver Member
I've heard about a full week of recover, to return to normal activities and an office related job, two weeks before any moderately strenuous activity, and 3 or more before lifting and strenuous activity.

Offline hyperballad

• Posting Member
The doctors always make it sound like you can go back to work right away, I guess you can if you have a desk job at least.
What these guys said sounds right.
For me there wasn't much pain, I also stopped the pain meds after a few days cause it wasn't really needed. It wasn't strong pain it was just like bruised feeling at times or moving certain ways. I was surprised by how little it hurt afterwards.
Hmm I was typing the night of the surgery and after (hard to stay off the computer) but lifting things and moving normally takes a few weeks.

Offline Dr Kapoor

• Bronze Member
    • Dr. Kapoor, Beverly Hills Cosmetic Surgeon
What is the pain factor like? I'm just wondering how long it would be before i could return to work? If possible could you rate the pain from 1-10 or compare it to some other sort of injury.

Pain is very subjective for most individuals. While there is definitely some discomfort, most men explain that it is like a severe muscle pain after working out, and may need some narcotic pain medication for 1-2 days at most. I have generally had men go back to work at about 4 days after surgery. They are still sore but by no means in severe pain - most need just tylenol or advil at this point. At about 2-3 weeks, you usually feel much better.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Dr Kapoor.  Everyone has a different threshold for pain. The worst discomfort is usually the first two days.  It feels like Muhammed Ali tattooed your chest!  But pain is very subjective -- some of my patients have said it was the worst they had ever felt -- and others never took even a Tylenol.  In fact, some of my out-of-town patients even went out to a Broadway show on the night after surgery -- something I would not have recommended (PS they told me the next day!).  No matter how severe, however, it usually disappears rather quickly.

I usually recommend back to sedentary work within about 3-4 days and a return to strenuous exercise within 3-4 weeks.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline darippa3131

Thanks alot for the information. I currently work at boeing so i would be doing things above my head all day in an airplane...which probably isn't recommended. So i can request light duty for a while.

Still on strike at the moment so when we get back to work i'll look up a doctor.

Thanks again for the helpful information.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024