Author Topic: Just saw my endo to go over bloodwork/MRI and was prescribed Cabergoline  (Read 3943 times)

Offline charlie1821

• Posting Member
My testosterone was 164, pretty low, and my prolactin is 37, about twice the max norm.

Oddly (thankfully) there was no tumor.

She put me on .5mg of Cabergoline twice a week. Anybody on this? Any success? I read all the side effects and am a bit nervous about taking it, but I don't have much choice, my gyne is severe. (Lactation for gods sakes).

I'm going to take it for a few months-year and see if that gets rid of my glands etc, if not then I'll have surgery.

DrBermant

My testosterone was 164, pretty low, and my prolactin is 37, about twice the max norm.

Oddly (thankfully) there was no tumor.

She put me on .5mg of Cabergoline twice a week. Anybody on this? Any success? I read all the side effects and am a bit nervous about taking it, but I don't have much choice, my gyne is severe. (Lactation for gods sakes).

I'm going to take it for a few months-year and see if that gets rid of my glands etc, if not then I'll have surgery.

Cabergoline is a medication that can be used to treat prolactinomas (tumors of the pituitary gland).  When effective, glandular growth is sometimes stabilized, and sometimes regresses.  A Prolactinoma tumor makes too much Prolactin a hormone that causes breast growth to make milk for pregnancy.  Prolactinoma in men can be large enough to press on the optic nerves restricting vision.  It is one cause of gynecomastia that is best discussed by your endocrinologist.  Gynecomastia surgery is better deferred until such problems are stabilized.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

DrBermant

My patients awaiting stabilization for such issues as an endocrinology problem as a prolactinoma have expressed how helpful No Surgery Body Shaping Garments have been to temporize a natural chest contour.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Dr. Bermant,

Thank you for two very enlightening responses. I think that each of these deserves to be a topic in itself.

The compression/shaping garments of today are great and actually bear only slight resemblance to the uncomfortable garments of years past. I think they need, and merit, better exposure within these pages.
Grandpa Dan

Offline charlie1821

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies Dr. Bermant.

I do not have a tumor/growth but still have high prolactin/low testosterone.

I'm worried what some possible side effects may be.

I'm also already using compression vests.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
you may get headaches and/or 'stuffiness' in your nose/sinuses from the cabergoline. i wouldn't worry too much about any other sides at that dose and especially with your prolactin that high. you should see improvement in your gyne as this counters the prolactin.

Offline charlie1821

• Posting Member
you may get headaches and/or 'stuffiness' in your nose/sinuses from the cabergoline. i wouldn't worry too much about any other sides at that dose and especially with your prolactin that high. you should see improvement in your gyne as this counters the prolactin.

Thanks!   ;D

Offline charlie1821

• Posting Member
No they didn't really, other than my body IS producing absurdly high levels of prolactin which is suppressing my testosterone. Bad genes.

I'm going to start taking it tonight anyways.

It's nice to have others that I can empathize with.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024