Author Topic: 4.5 weeks post-op. Scar tissue? Please help!  (Read 4481 times)

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
So I'm 4 and a half weeks post-op. My surgeon instructed me to remove my surgical compression vest after 3 weeks, and return to unrestrained exercise after 3 weeks. I haven't started exercising yet, but I'm continued to wear my surgical compression vest when I sleep, and an underworks compression vest during the day.

However, yesterday, I didn't wear either all day. When I undressed before bed, I noticed both nipples were puffed out, and almost felt like they were filled with fluid. Is this what scar tissue is? It's unfortunate. I was quite happy with my healing progress each day when I looked in the mirror, but last night it just looked like puffy nipples. Drag.

I'm going to continue wearing compression vests every day now. I didn't think this would be an issue almost 5 weeks post-op. Why is it that compression vests minimize scar tissue? None of this makes any sense to me!

Can someone explain massaging to me?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Offline BB26

• Posting Member
I dont think the compression vest eliminates scar tissue, but it does minimise fluid retention. I think it's to do with the constant pressure on the chest/nipples.

As far as scar tissue goes i think the only way to get rid of this is massaging your nipples/chest, over time. Are you massaging, and how often?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If your nipples were flat -- and then they puffed out during one day that you were not wearing a garment, then you are describing simple swelling and not scar tissue.  That is why I usually recommend continuing to wear some type of compression garment for up to two months after surgery -- and sometimes longer in certain cases.

If you do go without a compression garment when you exercise, then put a garment back on for a few hours after the exercise is completed -- it can help.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
As far as scar tissue goes i think the only way to get rid of this is massaging your nipples/chest, over time. Are you massaging, and how often?

I'm not massaging. How should I go about doing this? Any directions? Using fingers? Palms? Lots of pressure? Little pressure?

Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
For massage, I recommend that you raise one arm above your head.  Using the opposite hand's three middle fingers, gently press around the chest, feeling areas that are soft and areas that are firm.  Apply some skin cream to serve as a lubricant (it needn't be expensive cream).  Then gently press down with the three middle fingers on the firm parts of the chest and move the fingers in a circular motion.  Increase the pressure but not to the point of pain.

Do this for about five minutes on each side, twice a day.

Be patient -- the results of massage are slow to emerge.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024