Author Topic: Puffy nipples question post op  (Read 4551 times)

Offline semaj

• Posting Member
I had gynecomastia surgery 9 days ago.  I am in good shape; however, I had a problem with puffy nipples (since puberty, I am 33 now).  My surgeon didn't feel that I needed any lipo, so he used the incision only to remove the gland on both sides.  He removed quite a bit of fiborous gland tissue (especially on the left side).  I am a bit concerned so far because much of the initial swelling has gone down, and I still have quite a bit of puffiness in both nipples.  I can feel the scar tissue (he cut under each areola to remove the gland) and each nipple is still slightly tender (no real pain).  He also didn't think that I needed a compression vest, so I haven't purchased one yet (although I think I will anyway).  My quesiton is is it normal to still have some puffiness after have gland removed 9 days post op?  Is this due to swelling and will it decrease as it heals?  I know that it is only 9 days post op; however, I don't see that much of an improvement.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
Be patient.  What you're seeing at 9 days is most likely swelling.

You could buy a compression t-shirt.  It wouldn't hurt.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Give it time dude...  2-3 months...  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline semaj

• Posting Member
It's been 11 days post-op and all of the swelling has gone down (still some very slight bruising under the breast area), and I still have puffy nipples.  I also still feel like there is either more gland, fat (or a small combination of both) on the left side.  Maybe there is still some fat in there pushing the nipples out making them appear puffy on both sides.  I am fairly lean (around 12 percent body fat).  Maybe the scar tissue is causing the nipples to still be puffy.  There is some improvement, just not what I thought after the initial discussion with the surgeon, who expected very good results in my case.  I have a follow-up with my surgeon tommorrow, so we see how that goes.  To me it looks like he should have done some contour lipo, along with removing the gland.  I know that it is still very early; however, now it looks like I will have to go back fro either more gland or some contour lipo.

Offline BigLouJr

• Silver Member
Show some pre and post surgery photos. Anyways, if it continues to show puffy nipples, sorry to tell you that it will continue. Within 14 days the nipples should look normal if there is no swelling. Trust me, I've gone over 4 surgeries for the same reason. Finally, they are not puffy any longer.

Offline semaj

• Posting Member
That is what I am concernend about BigLou.  What did the surgeon finally do for you to prevent the puffy nipples?  Currently (as before the surgery) if I pinched my nipples, or if I was slightly cold, my nipples would look normal (as far as overall size and flatness) and tight.  However, if I am warm then everything loosens, and my nipples are puffy (even after surgery with no swelling, 11 days post-op).  ALso, how long between sugeries did you wait?

Offline BigLouJr

• Silver Member

If I can conform you in some way, here are the items that must be remove if you want to see real good results. The pictures below are the glands that must be remove from your chest. As you can see, they are not muscle nor fat and just create the boobs. Women have plenty of them, hence the reason that they have breasts. We are not design to have them so big. We need small glands because our body does create small amounts of estrogen compare to larger amounts of testosterone. But when they get bigger because of more estrogen, we tend to dislike it. Conclusion, the glands must be remove.

Offline semaj

• Posting Member
I did have gland removed (the surgeon actaully showed me the glands from both sides); however, it just feels like there is either more gland or fatty tissue still in there causing the nipples to still be puffy.  My nippples aren't as puffy as before the surgery (there is some improvement); however, I was thinking that I would have no more puffiness, and there would be more tightness.  I have a post-op appointment for tomorrow, so we will see.

Offline BigLouJr

• Silver Member
The key word is 95% of the gland must be remove.

Offline semaj

• Posting Member
The surgeon still thinks that there is some swelling within the nipple area causing the fair amount of puffiness on each side.  He wants to give the healing a solid month or so before we look at a possible revision.  The problem that I have when I go to get checked is when I take my shirt off and a slight cool wind hits my chest, my nipples will tighten up making everything look good; however, I told the surgeon that if I am in a extremely warm environment, or I have a shirt on, the puffiness will protrude (not as much as before the surgery; however, it is still there more than I would like).  I am going to give the healing about a month or so and then take it from there.  some of the puffiness feels like it could possibly be scar tissue, I really don't think so, but I will give it some time and see.  There is definately some improvement; however, I would like more improvement, and I think my expectations are very realistic.  I am currently 12 days post-op, so it is still failry early to make a judgement.

Offline semaj

• Posting Member
semaj im just curios who ur surgeon was, im gona have my op done in december and i am very nervous

I went to a local PS in my area by the name of Dr. Haas. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024