Author Topic: Surgery with Karidis (London, UK)  (Read 1592 times)

Offline throwaway1

• Posting Member
Hi all,

I'm starting this thread as I am finally tackling the gyno issue once and for all this weekend.
My story is pretty standard. I started having gyno around 12 y.o., family doctor said it was normal at this age and would go away on its own. Alas, it didn't and I've now been lugging this for 15 years. I'm actually quite lean and have what most would consider a mild case, but it's enough to affect confidence.
A couple of months ago I decided to consult with Karidis and Nurein to get their thoughts. Post consultation, there was no doubt that I wanted to get the surgery and so I booked a slot with Karidis. I felt he was more professional, experienced, detail oriented and is a board certified plastic surgeon. Thankfully, funding hasn't been an issue as I have a decent amount saved up.
I will be going under the knife this week and will aim to post updates on how the surgery went as well as recovery process.

Offline throwaway1

• Posting Member
Surgery tomorrow morning! It's been hard focusing on work this week as it's pretty much all I can think about right now but I'm not too stressed. I guess this may change in the morning. I had a last look in the mirror at the "current" me and I'm convinced I want to get this done.

Offline throwaway1

• Posting Member
So as an update I’m writing this from my room at the hospital. I was first in the am I believe for surgery and it’s gone really well for now.
I checked in at 7, was brought to my room etc and they gave me the gown, compression socks etc. I changed and chilled on the bed for an hour. Various nurses were coming in and out to make me fill some paperwork, take my blood pressure/temp and weigh me.
The anaesthesiologist came to see if I had any questions. She was extremely nice and reassuring. Then Karidis came in, took some pictures and marked me up.
At about 8:30 they told me everything was ready and we went down to the theatre.

Due to covid, I did not go to the anaesthesia room and they put me to sleep in the actual theatre, which was nice to see. There was a proper team there - I think at least 4 beside Karidis. They were super nice and we joked around a bit. I could tell they were trying to make me comfortable. They had me lie down and it went pretty fast from there on. One nurse was talking and distracting me from the anaesthesia While the anaesthesiologist was looking for a vein in my hand and put the needle in. It didn’t hurt. Pretty much exactly like getting blood drawn but in the hand. They put the oxygen mask on my face and I was focusing on taking slow, deep breaths. I remember thinking it was taking a while to kick in and then next thing you know I was out.

I woke up to a nurse telling me I was in the recovery room and that the op was done. Pain at this point was maybe a 0/10-1-10. Really not much. I’m now in my room just killing time. I had a good lunch (club sandwich is amazing) and there is a nurse taking my blood pressure, heart rate and temperature regularly. I also have some sort of ice pack machine on my chest. Pain is still non-existent though I’m sure it will come when I leave the clinic. It was a bit annoying to get up to pee as I was trying not to activate my chest but was fine in the end. You can call a nurse to help you with anything.

I’m expecting Karidis to come up in the next hour to chat through post op and then will be on my way home.

Offline AbCanoe

How're you getting on now mate?  

I've got surgery booked with Dr. Karidis at the end of September. Similar to yourself - similar age, fairly mild case, already pretty lean. 

I'm currently working on prep for the surgery. Getting leaner (at a BMI of 22, not much wiggle room), moisturising three times a day and hitting chest hard in the gym.  

Is there anything prep wise you wish you'd done?

Offline throwaway1

• Posting Member
It sounds like you've got it all covered, to be honest I didn't do anything out of the ordinary prior to the surgery. I did actually stop going to the gym 2 weeks prior as there is a mandatory covid test 3 days before and I was concerned about what would happen to my cash if I turned out positive, so I took precautions.

With regards to recovery, I got my stitches out on Sunday morning with the surgical nurse, which frankly was a breeze - no pain. She removed the dressings, cleaned the area, put fresh ones on and told me I could now take a shower. I also got a second compression vest. I took a shower that evening without much trouble, though I obviously can't reach my back, etc so drying was annoying.

I haven't really had any pain post op to be honest. The first day while still in the hospital, I think the ice and remaining pain killers from the anaesthesia numb it all down. That night I felt some light pain at one of the incisions but not enough to keep me from sleeping. It was gone in the morning. I haven't taken any of the pain tablets. Right now it's been 3 days and I don't have any pain at all, just some soreness like after a big chest day and I'm obviously trying not to activate my chest, which makes some tasks complicated. The biggest "pain" is just wearing the vest which isn't all that bad to be honest. The wounds should apparently be sealed up by tomorrow or so so I'm excited to take the plasters off and take a proper look. Shape looks good and I have very minimal bruising/swelling (not sure if it just hasn't started yet).

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024