Author Topic: has anyone had a donut mastopexy (skin removal around nipple) ?  (Read 9201 times)

Offline sufferingtolong

• Posting Member
Doc has said he will perform such a procedure on me , i do have droopy moobs .

Was just wandering about scaring , wrinkling  etc ,

please post back surgery is soon

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In cases of droopy gyne, I would strongly recommend you consult with several experienced gyne surgeons before embarking on a donut mastopexy.  These are tough cases -- for any surgeon!

In my experience, the scars resulting from a donut mastopexy are unacceptable, and in essence trade one problem (droopy boobs) for another (wide scars).  In either case, you may be reluctant to take your shirt off at the beach or pool.

There are other, more technical reasons why I shy away from the donut mastopexy, including the fact that some breast tissue beneath the nipple must be preserved in order to provide blood supply to the nipple -- and this limits how flat and contoured one can make the chest.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline sufferingtolong

• Posting Member

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There are a number of alternatives, but they all involve scars in various places on the chest.  The sad fact is that once the skin has been stretched out, and the breasts have become droopy, the only way to tighten the skin significantly is to cut out the lax skin -- and that will leave scars.

Unfortunately, the only way to adequately discuss all the various alternatives is in person, where the patient can provide the surgeon with his input as to what is important to him and what is not.  Also, a hands-on physical exam by the surgeon can help to guide the patient as to the best course of treatment.

That is why I recommended you consult with an experienced gyne surgeon.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

Doc has said he will perform such a procedure on me , i do have droopy moobs .

Was just wandering about scaring , wrinkling  etc ,

please post back surgery is soon

Low Nipples Look Weird on a Male Chest and often are a symptom of loose skin component.

After Massive Weight Loss loose skin can also be a factor as well as remaining gland and fat.  I have evolved a set of Standard Pictures to Evaluate Loose Skin and Drooping for Male Chest Ptosis that better demonstrate possible Excess Skin on the Male Chest.

Areola Reduction Surgery such as a Donut Masopexy is a significant compromise that I rarely recommend unless there is a great deal of excess skin (such as After Massive Weight Loss or in large breast Transgender Female to Male Chest Contouring.) There are many techniques to tighten the skin and remove areola, each has their own compromises.  However, flat nipples hanging well below the pectoral muscles look much worse than scars from reduction.  For major amounts of excess skin, a Skin Reduction Chest Lift may be an option.  Depending on sutures to hold areola tissues at a smaller size is a real risk as seen in the example below where I revised a mess from Australia surgeon's use of dissolvable sutures.  Permanent sutures can break, stretch, and get infected.  Such risks are better explored during a consultation after an evaluation.

Warning Graphing During Gynecomastia Areola Reduction Surgery Pictures

You can see actual pictures during a  Revision Donut Mastopexy Areola Reduction Surgery here

Photographs during surgery to reduce big areola continue here. and there are more Pictures during surgery to reduce male areola here.

The compromises of a Skin Tightening Male Chest Lift Surgery that best explored during a consultation with a surgeon with special expertise in this specific surgical sculpture in men.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Sagging Tissues

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Post a few pics dude...  a front shot, RHS and LHS...

This will help us diagnose your situation better...  ;)

Do you wear multiple shirts or big baggy button-up shirts to hide your G?

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline kingboob

If you are genuinely in a situation where you NEED skin removed to fix the drooping breasts & loose skin then you are going to have to accept that you are trading one problem for another (scars).   There is no magical way around this whatever technique or surgeon is used, the only question is how to best minimize the scarring and get maximum results.

There are other, more technical reasons why I shy away from the donut mastopexy, including the fact that some breast tissue beneath the nipple must be preserved in order to provide blood supply to the nipple -- and this limits how flat and contoured one can make the chest.

Dr Jacobs

^^ That would be an absolute disaster in my opinion.... having the scars AND having to live with puffy nipples because of the tissue which has to be left in place!   

Pick your surgeon carefully would be my suggestion; try and see some before and after pictures of similar cases they may have done.

Offline john_loren

• Bronze Member
This guy had IMO pretty disastrous results with the donut procedure.  His areolas in the after shots are immense (and he still doesn't have a flat chest)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojqq5WfBnPk

Offline kingboob

This guy had IMO pretty disastrous results with the donut procedure.  His areolas in the after shots are immense (and he still doesn't have a flat chest)....

yeah, now those results are not what I would expect, I mean I know they say there is still swelling but that boob shape still remains....... swelling looks different from the original problem, and his areolas actually look WORSE after the operation.   

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
as the dr's have said, it's hard to say without seeing your case, some are more extreme than others.  you might still need it, but it's possible for the areola to shrink some with time after an op.  if you can't post a pic, at least measure a diameter. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

DrBermant

Large areola do not look good on the male chest.  Large Areola Complication from Donut Mastopexy can be of poor surgical design or a result of not understanding the tissue forces at play after surgery. Making an areola smaller by cutting out a ring of skin does not stop the pull of the remaining skin making the areola large again. Unfortunately, areola can end up bigger than they started.  Avoiding the skin reduction when not needed or using a superficial permanent sliding suture to counter the expanding forces are better options.  Unfortunately, I have seen too many of this problem from other doctor's operations.  Although Revision Donut Mastopexy can repair this deformity, picking a surgeon who demonstrates skill in this specific sculpture of Male Mastopexy Chest Lift should prevent the problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline KAG

• Posting Member

Yeah and look how the doctor at the end tries to talk the guy into thinking he looks good....HE LOOKS TERRIBLE!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024