Author Topic: Spots of lighter pigmentation?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline hypo123

• Posting Member
Is anyone else having this issue?  I am nearly 3 weeks post op and on one areola in particular I have a rather thick spot of hypo-pigmentation (lighter color) right above the incision site.

The incision itself looks fine, this is extending above it onto my areola.  One small patch of it seems to extend almost up to my nipple.

I know that at 3 weeks the scar tissue and swelling is stretching my skin a little bit and making this problem look exaggerated but it is definitely there and a huge concern of mine.

Everything I have read lead me to expect the opposite problem: hyperpigmentation, where the scar area is darker then the areola.  I haven't really seen any posts or pictures of people with the issue of light pink/whitish patches.

Offline fnnewguy

• Silver Member
Did you have any noticeable scabbing? I have a smilar issue but my entire areola above the incision scabbed u, and is now a light pink/white color. Sometimes during surgery there is restricted blood flow to the areola.

Offline hypo123

• Posting Member
Yes I seem to have the exact same problem!  I had a decent sized scab above the incision.  I don't know if it was all a "true" scab or if some of it was dried blood that had leaked from the incision site and dried up on my areola. 

Once it came off it left a pretty large spot of pink/whitish color.  It is still there and I don't know if it will re-pigment or not.  I go in next week for my 1 month post op visit and I will ask my surgeon and let you know what he says.

Offline fnnewguy

• Silver Member
I have been using neosporin and band aids the pigment see a to be coming back slowly ...just like any other scab I suppose

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
On occasion, a portion of the areola close to the incision may have temporarily diminished blood supply, which can lead to a scab.  Best NOT to pick off the scab but to let things heal underneath.  My patients are told to use antibiotic ointment twice daily to keep the scab moist -- rather than dry.  The scab formation is similar to skin that has had a bad sunburn.

Once the scab lifts off, there can be lighter pigmentation of the skin because some of the pigment cells have been lost.  I have found that the application of cocoa butter does help to encourage re-pigmentation, but it is a slow process (many months).  Ultimately, the pigment usually returns in most cases.

Cocoa butter is available OTC.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024