Author Topic: Shirts that have a gap between the boobs.  (Read 4551 times)

Offline expedient-traveller

• Silver Member
I just came to notice something the other day, my shirts have a definite "scoop", gap or as I have discovered its proper name...gape. This is that opening in your button down shirt that gets a gap between your breasts and opens your bra to view. I looked into shirts that are made for large breasted folk (women and men) but there does not seem to be anything available that does not require custom fitting and cost for men. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take care of this distressment?

Lister

There's tape for this explicit purpose-
This or a double-stick fashion tape, you get the idea.

Braza Flash Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054M28W2/

Offline Busty

Or you could try some women's tops, like say a boyfriend shirt or polo.  Not obviously feminine, but cut to fit people with busts.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Double stick tape helps.  Sewing in mini snaps between the buttons can help.  Simply buying the shirt one size larger can help.  Sometimes you may need to combine the suggestions above.
The same thing applies to other garments especially those based on chest measurements like jackets and suit coats.  I typically get a suit coat made for a 50 inch chest then have it altered to fit me.  I actually have a 46 inch chest.  Knowing a good tailor is a great help. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline chestyoldman

• Silver Member
Thanks for the ideas, guys! I had never thought of those. I guess ither my bust is small enough or my shirt size is already large enough in order to accommodate my belly, but I usually don't "gape" unless I throw my elbows way back to stretch. If they do start gaping in the future I now know what to do about it!

• Silver Member
I ordered some of the tape and will try that. I do wear some shirts in extra-large to disguise my "assets" but I need to look professional and sometimes xl shirts do not fit the bill. I have looked into women's shirts but the cost for my chest size is too much...yikes! One hundred dollars for a shirt is not justifiable as an expense. I will look into the shirts you advise, Busty. That could be what I need. People here at work know I have "ample assets" and are accustomed to me having them since they grew while everyone has been here over the years. However, our clients are not accustomed to "ample assets" and could be uncomfortable which could cost us business.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Shirts made for women will have the buttons on the wrong side,  it is a give away.   Having shirts custom made or altered to fit can take advantage of a couple of tricks used to make women's clothing fit better.  One is a dart in the shirt front vertically above the nipple line where the front meets the yoke.  Another is a horizontal dart also in the front of the shirt, where the shirt front is sewn to the back.  Just below where the sleeve is sewn into the shirt.  The first requires that the sleeve be refitted at the shoulder and the second means taking out the side seam and sewing it back after the  dart is in place.  A tailor or seamstress should have no problem with either.   

• Silver Member
PawPaw, I never considered having a seamstress take a look at a shirt. That is a great idea! I am not sure what you mean by the "dart" stuff but I know a good friend of mine will. Thanks for the idea since it will eliminate the "tent" look but still help me to disguise my "assets" but still look sharp for the clients.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I sew, in fact I make dresses for my wife.  I'm sorry that the term "dart" threw you, but anyone who does much sewing will know what I mean.   The use of darts will not hide anything,  but they will make the garment lie flat and possibly eliminate the gap. 

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
I sew, in fact I make dresses for my wife.  I'm sorry that the term "dart" threw you, but anyone who does much sewing will know what I mean.   The use of darts will not hide anything,  but they will make the garment lie flat and possibly eliminate the gap.

Ninja'd on response :)
I sew as well - including for my wife. A dart in a garment is like taking a circle of paper, cutting out a wedge, and then putting the cut edges together so it forms a cone. It's a way to get the fabric to 'bulge' out without affecting other seams (underarms, button placket, shoulders, etc.)  Some darts will be quite obvious - it depends on where they're placed and how big they need to be.  In a man's jacket, the front parts are actually made from two parts that are sewn together.  In this , it's trivial to hide a dart. In a shirt, however, the front parts are a single piece of fabric, so any seam - especially on a patterned fabric like a print or stripes or plaid - will be more visible. If you wear it under a jacket, no-one need ever see the dart. If you had shirts custom made, the best place to locate a dart would be toward the underarm; it won't be as visible in the front.  If you have shirts modified, you'll be much more limited - and probably have to run the dart to the hem, which could leave a visible seam line under the bust.

Most people wouldn't recognize a dart if it bit them in the rear, but anyone who has sewn women's garments will.  That's mostly women.  Older women.  The kinds who would have an understanding smile at the fact you have gynecomastia and have to have shirts darted.  The older types who would understand if you had to wear a bra for support. Younger crowd - hell, they wouldn't know a seam from a reptile.

• Silver Member
That is a good one Dr. Moe. I will drop a shirt off to my friend and let her have at it. I have noticed when I have an extra-large shirt on to disguise the "assets" that it makes me look like I have more than I actually do. It hides the "assets" but I bulge in the chest area, I guess it would be a ballooning type of effect. Having the shirts "darted" and such should eliminate the ballooning and still look sharp for the customers even if I may look like I am breasted. We shall see. Thank you my brothers!

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
That is a good one Dr. Moe. I will drop a shirt off to my friend and let her have at it. I have noticed when I have an extra-large shirt on to disguise the "assets" that it makes me look like I have more than I actually do. It hides the "assets" but I bulge in the chest area, I guess it would be a ballooning type of effect. Having the shirts "darted" and such should eliminate the ballooning and still look sharp for the customers even if I may look like I am breasted. We shall see. Thank you my brothers!

You'll want to let her fit it to you to figure out how big a dart is needed.  Too much wouldn't fit, and too little won't get the effect you're after.  Unlike with mass-produced shirts, darts should be custom-fitted.  If she tapers off the 'point' of the dart, it rounds over, which is what you want. If she doesn't, it could look pointy like a bullet bra - which is probably not what you want.

• Silver Member
Good stuff Doc. Thanks again.

aboywithgirls

I have found that I can get a shirt that fits. I just have to go on the other side of the store or a different store.
A ladies button down just plain fits better. I have enough room up top without having a bunched up mess around my waist. It does take a little getting used to the buttons on the opposite side but muscle memory is pretty quick to adapt.

• Silver Member
I thought about ladies shirts but getting one in the correct size is difficult. Most places that sell ladies shirts do not go up to my size chest (46). But I will keep looking. Thanks for the post.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024