Author Topic: Consultation - What questions to ask?  (Read 3025 times)

Offline fedex

• Posting Member
Hi,
I'm going to start scheduling consultations and wanted to get some feedback from your experiences. So far, I have narrowed down a few surgeons on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons listed in my area, researched best of the best local awards, and have looked over their websites that were available; some of the Docs work at the main hospitals and don't have personal websites (should this matter?) while others have offices elsewhere. I scheduled a consult with one doc, but may cancel because their site promotes breast augmentation with a small photo gallery of gyno, but nothing else; Also, was quoted a range over the phone of 6-7k (Hawaii)

So, how many consultations did you have before deciding and what questions should i be asking?

Thanks in advance.

Offline looseSHIRT

• Silver Member
I only consulted one doctor.. Ive read so much about him in this forum.. He did surgery for most of the guys that posted. When did my consultation I was really comfortable with him, He explained everything very well, what I should expect, etc. Choosing a surgeon is very tricky, you should do your research very well and choose wisely. Sometimes its better to go with a higher priced-experienced surgeon, and save-up for a while, rather than hurrying it up with an lower priced-inexperienced one. Ask for their past patients, check pre-op and post-op pictures. Good Plastic surgeons keep pictures. Goodluck mate!

Offline fedex

• Posting Member
thanks for the suggestions - yes, i will ask for pictures and take my time to think it over. I canceled my consultation where i was quoted a 6-k range and called another doc that is $3,500 includes everything; his resume looks pretty good too and the surgery is done at their facility opposed to renting the facility.

Offline jojo82

• Silver Member
Ask if your surgeon offers free revision surgery (within reason) 6-12 months post-surgery. If your surgeon truly stands behind his result, then he will offer free slight revisions. If not, keep looking.

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
I have a growing list of questions for surgeons. I probably won't ask all of them until I've found one I think I'll use. I have about 32 questions as of now. Some are easy answers others are asking for explanations etc.
I'm interested in hearing feedback on this too as I will hopefully soon be consulting with surgeons.
What are some questions other than the obvious? Questions many people may forget to ask.

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
Bump- what are the important questions most people won't think of to ask?
I may be getting in for my first consult next week and need to cover all bases. This is for the good of everyone.  :)

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
Here is my list of questions. I have a few more specific to me that I've taken out, but this may help.
Anyone and everyone else- please chime in with more if you have some.

1.   Why do you feel that I am or am not a good candidate for gynecomastia corrective surgery?
   2.   Do you feel 100% comfortable and confident in operating on me to ensure I get the results I'm seeking? All due respect- would you advise me in consulting with another doctor- perhaps one with more experience (if applicable) in gynecomastia?
   3.   What is your typical method for removing gland / fat in the chest? (Tell me about the procedure)
   4.   Do you typically use excision and liposuction?
   5.   What are your thoughts on these liposuction-only surgeries using a sharp cannula to break apart the glandular tissue- I hear mixed feedback.
   6.   How much of the gland and fat do you remove? All?
   7.   What are the chances of regrowth? (fat and gland)
   8.   What is the cost? Have you ever successfully collected from an insurance provider on a gynecomastia surgery? Even partial.
   9.   How often do you get an unhappy patient- and what is the most common reason?
   10.   Do you do complimentary or reduced price revisions if reasonable expectations are not met?
   11.   Who is your anesthesiologist?
   12.   What are his/her credentials?
   13.   Will this be general anesthesia or local with sedation?
   14.   What can I do to minimize risks with anesthesia?
   15.   What can I do to make the healing process go more smoothly and quicker?
   16.   What type of scar treatment will I be given to ensure the scarring is minimal?
   17.   Will I be given drains? If so, how long would I wear them, and are they relatively easy to hide if I went into work?
   18.   Will I be wearing a compression vest? If so, how long approximately?
   19.   What are the risks involved in the surgery?
   20.   What are some of the risks with anesthesia?
   21.   Do you think MY skin will tighten back up okay?
   22.   Is there anything I can do to help the skin tighten back up- any types of vitamins, creams or lotions, etc?
   23.   How many days will I be out of work?
   24.   Is there anything I can do to minimize any risk of re-growth? (avoid certain medications, or if the gland is gone can it not come back?)
   25.   I've heard and read that when liposuction is performed to remove fat- that fat cannot grow back- is this true? To what extent?
   26.   How long in the healing process before I know what my scar will look like? At what point, if needed, do scar treatments begin?
   27.   Do you have any other information to share with me that I should know that I didn't already ask?

Offline larry22

• Posting Member
this list is great, I'm having my consultation tomorrow too, hope i can remember all the questions, though i think it'll come naturally during the conversation. hmmm, come to think of it, now I'm seriously considering bringing a notepad.   ;D

Offline hatemymoobs

• Silver Member
Bring a notepad...
I plan to bring the whole list just so I can ask the ones that makes sense for initial consultation.
Also, since I am seeing at least 3 different surgeons to consult with I'll need to take notes on each ones.
Don't think that's a silly thing to do. You'll be investing a lot of money, and putting your body at some risk- you need to be as thorough as possible, at least in my opinion.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024