Author Topic: 19 years old started to develop gyno 5 months ago  (Read 1873 times)

Offline arrow7

Hello everyone,

I have always had an athletic build on the skinny side. However I noticed around the start of september last year i bumped my right nipple and it hurt. There was quite a large jelly'like disc under the nipple. My left nipple was fine. About a month later however my left nipple started to develop as well. Now they are pretty much the same, puffy with the discs under them. I think the discs may have shrunk a little bit and they no longer hurt. I have never taken steriods or anything like that. I am a bit of a late developer, (i still struggle to grow facial hair.) i am just confused if i will need surgery or not. as most people say pubertal gyno generally goes away, but i have hear people say that if you have the discs under your nipples then you need surgery. note i am not fat at all, very lean ( abs showing) Thank you

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
If you try to second guess what is happening you'll go nuts. while you'll find lots of clues to look for, many can be very misleading even to the Doctors.

If you're in early puberty at the age of 19, that puts you outside of the averages, but hardly so far out as to be abnormal. Some people would differ on this of course. There are things an Endocrinologist is trained to look for and lab tests that they are trained to interpret. A consultation with an Endocrinologist might be able to answer all your questions very well.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Paa_paw.  If indeed you have only had the problem for five months, then a period of watchful waiting would be in order.  And probably a visit to an endocrinologist as well.  Do not rush into surgery -- it is possible it may disappear spontaneously.  Give it at least two years or more before even considering surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline arrow7

yeah well i have developed in other areas of puberty at a normal rate just facial hair. i had a blood test done recently and the doctor told me my testosterone levels were normal, but she did not mention my estrogen levels.
i will organise to see an endocrinologist soon.

thanks for the advice Dr. Elliot

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024