Author Topic: penny size scar tissue cortisone shot?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Westsyder

• Posting Member
Hello I had Gyno surgery last April so it has almost been a year now. He removed fiburous masses mainly. It was giving me puffy nipple.I had horrible scar tissue throughout but it went down after dedication. I still have scar tissue that pushes my areolas out a bit, but enough to give it a cone none flat puffy shape, especially my right side is thick and  pretty bad. I checked up on my PS this month and he tells me to keep massaging twice a day, it seems it just wont get better from here I know my body. I asked about cortisone injections, he said its not necessary because my scar tissue is not keloid, but I don't think it matters, stubborn scar tissue, or keloid its still there and not going away. and I have heard very good things about cortisone injections.

My question is should I wait six more months and continue massaging and waste the summer worrying? Is it possible that it can keep reducing with massage and patience? or should I go see Dr. Julio Garcia another PS in Las Vegas who has done many cortisone injections even some 3 months after his patients operation. I feel like I am going behind my PS back on this though.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In general, if you still have scar tissue one year after surgery, no amount of massage or further observation will make it get significantly better.  You then have a choice of returning to your surgeon or moving on to another surgeon for another opinion and possible treatment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Westsyder

• Posting Member
In general, if you still have scar tissue one year after surgery, no amount of massage or further observation will make it get significantly better.  You then have a choice of returning to your surgeon or moving on to another surgeon for another opinion and possible treatment.

Dr Jacobs

Thank you Dr. Jacobs for the quick response so before revision do you think cortisone treatment, laser,or revision is the best way to go, of course I will let the PS decide whats best by looking at it but what is usually the first step?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The appropriate course of treatment will be determined by your surgeon.  Laser offers no answers.  The choice is really cortisone injections (perhaps more than one) or revision surgery.

The advantage of cortisone injections (assuming they are administered properly) is that they do eventually result in improvement with virtually no downtime.  If there is a huge amount of scar tissue, though, this may not be feasible.

Revision surgery is still surgery -- with all its attendant uncertainties, including the very real possibility of developing more scar tissue during the healing phase.  And, revision surgery is always more difficult and less predictable than the original surgery itself.

The choice of treatment should be discussed with your surgeon, including all the pros and cons of each choice.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Westsyder

• Posting Member
Ok thank you for your response I will wait until may 1st so it will be 1 year than get a hold of my PS to twll him I am not satisfied, and what to do from there.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024