Author Topic: endocrinologists  (Read 1929 times)

Offline gray

• Posting Member
considering surgery, my question is should an endocrinologist be seen before hand? i am in my early 40's, and know my testosterone level is dropping. kind of concerned that if i have the surgery, then wind up on hormone therapy, they will come back. also still looking for an experienced doctor in the birmingham alabama area.
thanks

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If your gyne has been stable for a long time and your libido is satisfactory, then usually a workup by an endocrinologist is not needed.  If, however, there are signs that something is going on with your hormones, or if you have had an increase in the size of your gyne, tingling in the breasts, etc, then certainly you should consult an endocrinologist.

As for T replacement, most guys have a natural and inexorable lowering of T as they age.  But not all men need to go on T replacement.  If that is your concern, then you should check it out prior to any contemplated surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline xelnaga13

considering surgery, my question is should an endocrinologist be seen before hand? i am in my early 40's, and know my testosterone level is dropping. kind of concerned that if i have the surgery, then wind up on hormone therapy, they will come back. also still looking for an experienced doctor in the birmingham alabama area.
thanks

If you get put on hormone therapy you will most likely be prescribed anti-aromatase drugs to cut down on estrogen and prevent gyno return. I strongly suggest you join an online forum that deals with TRT- theres a ton of knowledge and experience out there; just like this board!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024