Author Topic: Drains?  (Read 5565 times)

Offline gladididit

• Posting Member
I had the surgery on Tuesday the July 17th.  Things have gone well.  The Dr. has scheduled to take the drains out on Monday the 23rd.  I am so ready.  Has anyone else out there had to have the drains in that long?  Six days?  I really wanted to have the drains out sooner...just curious.

Offline gizoto316

• Posting Member
I just had surgery monday the 16th and the doctor removed the drains the next day as I had very little fluid coming out.

Offline FREE@LAST

• Posting Member
I had my surgery July 16(Mon) amd i dont get my drains out until Monday the 23rd of July. i cant wait. Im on my second surgery, the first was lipo and was pointless.......no change at all. But this time im pretty sattisfied so...still early tho!
I FEEL UR PAIN DOG!

Offline gladididit

• Posting Member
Well I think I was just being a little up tight.  I couldn't leave the house with drains so I was going a little stir crazy.  The drains came out and I am doing well.

Thanks for the support.  I am happy so far.  :)

Offline LMC1307

• Bronze Member
I didn't even get drains. Go figure.
Went under the knife on 7/27/07 - Revision 5/22/08 - Great results this far.
Surgery performed by Dr. Placik M.D. F.A.C.S. in Chicago, IL

Offline LMC1307

• Bronze Member

Offline LMC1307

• Bronze Member
I'm not completely sure (luckily I don't have them) but it's like a tube that connects from the incision to a container to drain fluid after surgery... sounds kinda gross.

Offline gizoto316

• Posting Member

Offline normexcept

• Bronze Member
The drain is connected to a bulb that is squeezed closed.  The bulb tries to inflate itself and therefore causes a little bit of vacuum that draws the bleeding and fluid buildup out of the surgery site.  Inside the end of the drain hose has several small openings or slits to allow fluid in.  The drain is to pull the fluids out of the surgery site sot that it does not pool up and cause big hard spots.  The surrounding tissue is able to mend together without so much swelling and lumps that would take a long time for the body to absorb otherwise.

Offline gladididit

• Posting Member
normexcept's  description is exactly right .  They are really no big deal.  Like I said I was just bummed because the Dr. wouldn't let me leave the house while they were in...too big of an infection risk.  Standard precaution.  I did take a few car rides to avoid total "cabin fever".  But, the drains did their job.  The Dr. had me monitor how much drainage there was every day.  You just empty the little bulb into some gauze-squeeze the bulb and put the stopper back in (while the bulb is collapsed) and you are set... 

The drain were removed w/o a hitch, and I am fine.

Offline omega

• Silver Member
i never got drains=/ how come??

DrBermant

I had the surgery on Tuesday the July 17th.  Things have gone well.  The Dr. has scheduled to take the drains out on Monday the 23rd.  I am so ready.  Has anyone else out there had to have the drains in that long?  Six days?  I really wanted to have the drains out sooner...just curious.

The need for drains or how much comes out depends on the problem to be treated, skill of the surgeon, method(s) of surgery, and other factors.  I prefer techniques that minimize the need for drains or draining fluid with needles.  Not needing drains is one of the many factors that permits my patients the comfort after gynecomastia surgery that seems to need only Tylenol for most of my patients. Some take a few stronger pain medications, but optimizing comfort, minimizing swelling and bruising and not needing drains are among the factors that can influence results. 

Even the best techniques for removing a drain is not as comfortable as not needing a drain in the first place.  My use of drains or needing to drain fluid is less than 1% with my Gynecomastia Male Chest Sculpture Dynamic Technique.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline hope2recover

• Silver Member
dude the drain is depending on the surgeron skills
i will remove it after 7 days after the surgery so the doctor schedule it according the quantity of the fluid comming out
dnt worry

Offline conz

• Posting Member
I didnt have any drains either, but I only had gland excision. Should I expect fluid to be drained with needles in my follow up meeting with my surgeon. I had surgery 4 days ago and I see my surgeon in 2 days.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024