Author Topic: Surgery with Dr Jacobs - 9/28/09  (Read 5576 times)

Offline ron1978

I suffer from gynecomastia for 7 years or so. I think it is somehow connected to Propecia which I have been taking for 7-8 years.
As a 30 year old who is quite slim and about 5'10" this was bothering me and my girlfriend. I ended up reading about it on gynecomastia.org and other sites.

I started to research doctors in my area (we live in Queens) and decided to meet with Dr. Elliot Jacobs. I was impressed by his knowledge. The office staff was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. There were other guys in the waiting room and my problem did not look as unique as I thought about it before. Dr. Jacobs examined me and said I had a moderate case and that he can remove almost all of the breast tissue.

I told the patient coordinator I want to schedule a surgery asap. After signing forms and making a payment, I received a package with a lot of information about what needs to be done before surgery. They recommend to buy Arnica which helps to reduce swelling and needs to be taken 3 times a day starting couple of days before surgery, as well as antibiotics as a safety measure and pain killers. I was also requested to buy a tight underarmour shirt and bring it with me on surgery day.

The last time I had any kind of surgery was 12 years ago, and it was not a nice experience. I was hospitalized for the night after surgery and the whole experience was unpleasant. I did not really know what to expect, but the office looked nice, everyone was friendly and I wanted to do it badly. Surgery day arrived - I went in yesterday morning. Dr. Jacobs examined me again, drew on my chest circles and lines to indicate what he's going to do and explained the course of the surgery and the stages of recovery. He took photos of my chest so I can see the difference later. I met with the anesthesiologist who was calm and radiated experience. He asked me to take 2 pills to prevent nausea, and explained about the anesthesia.

The surgery room is bright and modern, with the same kind of equipment you would find in a hospital. I laid on the surgical bed and felt good as the crew was talking, being casual and not intimidating. I could see that they have done this many times before. They put an IV needle in my left arm, and the next thing I remember is waking up, still dizzy. They said the surgery went well and they managed to remove the breast tissue. Dr. Jacobs told me he had to make an incision under my left nipple to remove some hard tissue that was "stuck" there. He warned me in advance that he may need to do it, so there was no surprise here. I went to pee and then went to a recovery room where I tried to sleep and waited for my girlfriend to take me home. Dr. Jacobs put on me a compression garment around the chest and explained how to do it right. I told him I was surprised with how easy the whole process was. Had I known, I would have done it months ago.

My torso felt numb when I came back home. I slept for a while and around 6pm the doctor called to check how I'm doing. He said I can take either the pain killer he prescribed me or 2 Tylenols every 4 hours. I preferred the Tylenol. At night I woke up because I felt some pain in the chest, I took Tylenol and went back to sleep. I stayed at home today and did not take Tylenol till an hour ago. It feels strange to look at the mirror and see that my chest is very flat, I'm wondering how it would look like. My range of motion is still limited due to the compression garment, and I was asked by the doctor to sleep on my back (I'm used to sleeping on my tummy so this is hard). Will keep you posted.

Offline trojan213

• Bronze Member
Thanks dude. Please keep us posted and share pics!

Offline DR87

• Posting Member
thanks for posting! i'm going into dr. jacobs office today to get my surgery done. I'm pretty nervous. I'm also 5'10 and pretty slim. I'll be posting before and after pictures.

Offline ron1978

Thank you for the replies. i will post pics soon.
Here is an update - I was excited to remove all the bandages etc 48 hours after surgery and shower. IT LOOKS GOOD!!
The chest looks good, though bruised and with all kind of colors on it. I did not care, I was too happy with the result.
Showering was an experience. All the nerves start to wake up, and every drop of water that hits the chest feels awesome. I never thought I had so many nerves...

I'm still sore, I stopped taking medicine 2 days after surgery. Walking around with the compression garment is strange, but I get used to it. People who look at you see a flat chest, but range of motion is limited because of the garment, plus it is starting to itch. I spoke about it with Dr. Jacobs and he warned me the skin is going to be very itchy and it is part of the healing process. I still get from time to time during the day sharp pain in left or right side of the chest, Dr. Jacobs said it's normal.

I'm more comfortable with sleeping on my back, it's not ideal but with the right pillow(s) it's not as inconvenient. Since I stopped taking the medicines I feel stronger, still have less appetite than usual, but perhaps it's because the compression garment is pressing on the top part of the tummy.

Don't be afraid of doing it - this is money well spent.

Offline ron1978

Update - it's now a bit over 2 weeks after surgery. Most bruises are gone. There is still some swelling. I'm less itchy and got used to the compression garment. The chest's shape looks really nice, though I think it's still a bit swelled. It feels very hard, as if it is made of rock. I still need to sleep on my back / on the side, but don't have back pain and overall I got used to it. I have a follow up with Dr. Jacobs soon, I will tell you what did he say.

Offline sufferingtolong

• Posting Member
Great news Ron , I'm 5 days post surgery , my left side is alot more swollen and numb than the right , the itching and back pain have just begun!

The first few days were quite sore the itching and the increased mobility is a welcome sin of healing , glad your doing well.

How long were you quoted for the swelling ? Im banking on meing swollen for upto 2-3 months.

I purchased a pressure vest to hide my gyno , it has a little less compression then te vest but is alot more comfortable . After six weeks I'm going to wear the vest for another 8 weeks for maximum results

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
I'm glad everything went well! :)

Dr. Jacobs is awesome.

-Eric
Surgery Date: 6/06/06
Surgeon: Dr. Elliot Jacobs M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., P.C.
Procedure: Liposuction and incision under the nipple.
Cost: $6,500
Discovery Health: Plastic Surgery Before and After I was featured in: http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/teen_dhc_video1.html

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024