Author Topic: scar tissue  (Read 1772 times)

Offline fnnewguy

• Silver Member
So I had excision only in early May, Chest was flat when i looked for the first time. COuld this been because of compression? I now have some large scar tissue that has begun to make kind of a crunching sound. Doctor says he wants to inject a steroid to help. If not he wants to cut out the scar tissue...which doesnt really make sense to me. WOuld lipo be of any use removing the scar tissue and helping shape the chest, whats the recovery like for lipo?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If your chest was originally flat and acceptable to you, then any subsequent growth (particularly in the first 4-12 weeks post op) is usually scar tissue. 

In my practice, I never go back to the operating room to excise scar tissue -- for fear that it would heal with even more scar tissue.  Rather, I injection a cortisone type of medication (usually Kenalog) which will melt scar tissue.  Often only one or two injections are needed -- 6-8 weeks apart.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with Dr. Jacobs. On rare occasion, additional excision is required after initial correction of gynecomastia, but in most cases, the swelling of the glandular remnant subsides over time, leaving a flatter profile.  If there is still puffiness after 4 - 6 months, I'll try a Kenalog injection, and I will repeat it if needed.  I am hesitant to do any sort of revision for at least 9 months to a year, to allow for scarring to settle.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery