Author Topic: I need your advice doctor ?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline hs9771

First of all, I'm 17 years old, and I have gynecomastia since 12. I have spoken with my surgeon 3 weeks ago and he said, that his advice for me is to wait at least 1-2 years more. :( I'm so embarassed about this and I know that there is just no way that this is going dissapear. (My father also has gynecomastia from since he was a child). I'd really like to do the surgery, but I'm scared of bad results (you know, swelling, maybe too visible scars on my nipples). I've done hormonal test 6 months ago, and 1 month ago too. Endocrinologist said that my hormones are absolutely fine. Now I need your opinion about my case.

Is my gyno really bad?
All I'm asking you is to try put yourself in my position. What would you do ?

I'll post some pictures..

Thank you doctor :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Mild gyne with puffy nipples.

Your hormones are fine and you have had the condition for at least five years.  It is highly doubtful that your situation will miraculously get better in 1-2 two years.  Many doctors say this just to buy time and because they follow the (unproven) medical dogma that one shouldn't operate on young men until they are at least 18.

I disagree entirely.  My best recommendation is to secure another opinion about your chest, preferably from an experienced gyne surgeon in your area.  If there is no one near you, then consider traveling or asking for an email evaluation.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with Dr. Jacobs.  The "occasional" gynecomastia surgeon (which is most plastic surgeons) is often not as comfortable with the procedure, particularly in a mild case, and they may err on the side of not operating for fear that a premature operation might be unnecessary, and to avoid potential complications in a mild case that isn't all that bad to begin with.  But like Dr. Jacobs, I will operate if the condition has not resolved after 3 years, no matter the age of the patient--unless there are other factors that need to be dealt with first. 

Get another opinion.  Or two.  And ideally from at least one "frequent" gynecomastia surgeon.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery