Author Topic: Lump under Gynecomastia incision.-1 month post op  (Read 3832 times)

Offline gyno12345

It has been one month since my surgery,and since the healing process started a very hard mass has been growing under  the area of my right nipple where the incision was made.,currently pushing out my right nipple and tissue around it .

I am led to believe its scar tissue and not excess gland since it was not present before and has increased in size.

I have contacted my surgeon today and it has been anything but helpful.
She kept assuring me not to worry and that it will heal,with being so general about it that its making me very uneasy.

She didn't provide any timeline in which I can direct my expectations to,what my expectations should be and what routes of treatment there are if those expectations are not met.

I asked about it maybe being scar tissue,extra gland ,sutures or even a cyst,she did not provide any concrete answer continuing to assure me to give it time.

-So any if any doctor here could tell me,if a hard lump appears after surgery can I expect it to FULLY(or at least significantly) disappear,and how long would it take?

-How long after surgery should I wait to consider cortisone injections as a means to alleviate the lump and if that course or treatment advisable(If not ,why not)

I sincerely appreciate all the answers in advance/

I would provide a picture but not much can be seen from it
The tissue is definitely there,hard to the touch and is around the incision,both in and out of the regions of the areola

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
In my experience sometimes some scar tissue can form beneath the nipple complex. it usually responds extremely well and quickly to steroid injections. 
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline gyno12345

Thank you for the responce!
Would you recommend I do it immediately or wait further down the line in the healing process|

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree that it might be scar tissue and that appropriate cortisone injections could be helpful.  Be sure to speak with our surgeon about this.  Alternatively, consider traveling to seek a gyne expert for another opinion.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I read your post,could you please clarify some issues for me. I understand that you are one month out from surgery but you mention "since the healing process started a hard mass" has been under your nipple. Was this mass there immediately after surgery ,has the mass increased in size or is it stable and is there significant bruising on the same side?
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline gyno12345

I read your post,could you please clarify some issues for me. I understand that you are one month out from surgery but you mention "since the healing process started a hard mass" has been under your nipple. Was this mass there immediately after surgery ,has the mass increased in size or is it stable and is there significant bruising on the same side?
Hello,thank you for taking the time to reply.
I dont think there was anything there immediately post operation,but I can never be too sure due to swelling.
But it definitely grew in size and I think is still growing.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Your post illustrates why it is often very difficult to comment on post operative events without actually examining the patient. A common problem would be a small hematoma that occurred shortly after surgery which will often resolve. Another problem I commonly see is a secondary case where not enough tissue was removed at the initial surgery. The initial diagnosis is made difficult due to the swelling which inevitably occurs after surgery.In cases with inadequate initial resection the treatment is adequate resection so an additional surgery is necessary.Scar formation is common after surgery but a scar that is progressively increasing in size at a rapid rate is very very unusual.
Your options are pretty straightforward
1) See what your surgeon has to say
2)See an expert who treats gynecomastia.
3) Wait a bit then either go with 1 or 2.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:20:24 PM by DrPensler »

Offline gyno12345

Gynecomastia experts are non existent in my country,and my doctor is convinced that its scar tissue.
Is an ultrasound to see what tissue it is or is there some other recommended procedure?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
You either need to stick with your doctor or visit an expert on gynecomastia.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
You do not need an ultrasound but rather a surgeon that is comfortable in treating you. If unsure, all your surgeon needs to do is to try to aspirate it with a needle. This will identify whether it is fluid filled (seroma/cyst/old hematoma) or solid (scar tissue). The sooner the better.

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
This could be a hematoma, scar tissue or residual tissue that wasn't removed during surgery. Keep an open line of communication w/ your surgeon. If you do not feel comfortable w/ his/her response regarding this issue, seek out someone else who has experience with male breast reduction surgery and have your chest evaluated. 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024