Author Topic: 7 month scar tissue question  (Read 870 times)

Offline Fisher

• Posting Member
I am 7 months post op for gland excision only. I had very thick scar tissue and after 2 rounds of diluted steroid shots, the scar tissue has went down to a little smaller than a dime. At 7 months post op, will this remaining scar tissue continue to evolve and soften or is this the final result? I found a dermatologist who is willing to evaluate for a 3rd possible injection, but am wondering if I should wait a year and then re-evaluate. My surgeon said he only does 2 rounds at most. Also, does massage still help at this late stage? 

Thanks in advance

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is important that you understand that scar tissue is the natural and normal way in which the body heals from any surgery, including gynecomastia surgery.  It is not cancer and does not have to be treated simply because it is there.

The only time treatment may be considered is if the scar tissue is excessive and causing protrusion of the areolas.  IF the areolas are flat and flush with the surrounding tissues, there may not be any need for treatment.  Many guys freak out because they can feel something under the nipples.  But if there is no contour problem, there really is no need to treat.  And often with time, the scar tissue will soften by itself.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Steroid injections can be donerepeatedly to acheive the desired result which for the most part is improvement in the appearance. If you can only feel an area smaller than a dime chances are that you cannot see it unless you are extremely lean and have a body builder physique. Steroid injectins can infact cause some problems with soft tissue atrophy so be careful.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024