Author Topic: Question for doctors/those who've had surgery  (Read 2802 times)

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
I want to get surgery so badly, I was wondering how long afterward you are "immobilized". For instance, how many days would it be before i'd be able to go back to school after having surgery? Thanks in advance!

Offline BMB65

• Posting Member
I went to a retirement party the next day ....i was a lil uncomfortable and on painkillers but it wasnt like i was bed ridden

Offline nick24

• Bronze Member
I felt fine hours after surgery. I could tell I would be in pain without the pills but I had them. I felt like I could of gone to school the next day if I had to.

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
You can safely expect to be out of commission for somewhere around 24 hours after surgery is over. The length of time before you feel completely "normal" again will vary from person to person. But most people are relatively functional again before 48 hours.

DrBermant

I want to get surgery so badly, I was wondering how long afterward you are "immobilized". For instance, how many days would it be before i'd be able to go back to school after having surgery? Thanks in advance!

Recovery after Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem to be treated, surgical techniques, skill of your surgeon, bruising, swelling, comfort, and many other factors.  

I prefer techniques with minimal bruising and swelling for male breast surgery.  Yes, these are typical pictures for my patients.  Check out early results on other doctor's web sites (typically you will not find any), or here in the forums posted by patients.  

My patients are typically up and about the day of surgery.  Activities creating bouncing or needing the chest muscles need to await tissue healing.  I have had patients return to school or light duty the next day after surgery.  Check out my patients' pain / comfort after gynecomastia surgery.  Although we give each patient a prescription for strong pain medication, most find plain Tylenol more than enough to manage their minimal discomfort.  Patients describe their comfort level as if they had a really heavy workout.  Being able to function at school, work, or other activities is best when comfortable and not needing strong pain medications.  Being flexible is important.  Each patient is different and some variation happens.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Most patients feel some degree of soreness for the first 24 - 48 hrs.

My patients are usually dressed and up and around the next day -- taking a brief walk, going to a movie or a restaurant.

I advise rest (but not in bed) for the first two days -- after that, one can usually return to sedentary activities (school, a desk job) in about 2-3 days.

I prescribe some pain killers for those whose pain threshold is low -- most of my patients do quite well with just a few Tylenols.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline superduty

• Posting Member
It is a pain, in my opinion, to do much if you have drains in.  I had my drains for 4 days.  Without the drains, getting around would have been easier.  The drains are kind of hard to hide.  I took a week off from work, (because I could).  If I was under the gun, I would have gone back to work, as soon as the drains were removed.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024