Author Topic: Drain yourself???  (Read 12512 times)

Offline monterojl

• Bronze Member
i went to the doctor on monday and had a little fluid buildup in my right pec, the doctor sucked it out with a syringe and sent me home....The next day i noticed he left some fluids still...very little compared to what i had before, but still makes my nipple puff a little...i can perfectly feel the fluid because i can move it from one side to another by applying a little bit of pressure. My question is...is it ok to try to drain that fluid with a needle the same way the doc did it? Its pretty simple really, theres no science to it. My only concern is that im 2 weeks post op, i dont know if the remaining fluid is already too thick to be sucked out or not....

What do you think?

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
No no no no no.  Don't poke yourself with a needle!!!  Give it more time.  Usually the fluid will go away by itself within a few weeks.  The body can do magical things...just be patient my man.

Offline MSJ108

dude I wouldn't mess around with it if I were you. Let the doc do his/her thing

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I agree with the above posters...  Don't do it yourself...

I had fluid sloshing around after my surgery also. Felt and sounded very weird. However, I didn't freak out. With time, the fluid dissipated on its own...  Be patient my man!  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline monterojl

• Bronze Member
Well i said WTF and did it anyway, lol. Bought an insulin type needle and a bigger one, a 23G needle....and some injectable anesthesia....just like the one the doctor used to drain me.....i cleaned the area with alcohol, put  a little bit of anesthesia in the insulin needle and injected  my chest, next to the nipple, where the fluid acumulation is...then i waited 1 minute for the anesthesia to take effect and stuck the other niddle and started to suck....i removed like 10ml of fluid...my chest quickly got back to normal.....i did this on friday and i think i already acumulated a little bit more.....is this normal? to still release fluids 18 days post op?

Thanks

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I hope that the tools were sterile...

GB

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Offline monterojl

• Bronze Member
I hope that the tools were sterile...

GB

Everything was brand new and sterile......But is it normal for my body to release fluids 18 days post op? Its very minimal, but shouldnt my body me absorbing now instead of releasing fluid???

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You're truly playing with fire.  I wouldn't try that again if I were you.  You may have lucked out, but you could have innoculated that pocket of fluid with any bacteria on your skin, such as Staph or Strep.  Any static pocket of fluid, whether it's a postoperative pocket of blood or serum, static urine in the bladder if someone can't fully empty, fluid around the lung (which shouldn't be there), is susceptible to infection.  If you inadvertently contaminated that little pocket of fluid with bacteria, you could develop an abscess.

Call your surgeon if you're worried about fluid.  That's part of his job.
  Yikes!   :o

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline monterojl

• Bronze Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=14251.msg99865#msg99865 date=1211842565]
You're truly playing with fire.  I wouldn't try that again if I were you.  You may have lucked out, but you could have innoculated that pocket of fluid with any bacteria on your skin, such as Staph or Strep.  Any static pocket of fluid, whether it's a postoperative pocket of blood or serum, static urine in the bladder if someone can't fully empty, fluid around the lung (which shouldn't be there), is susceptible to infection.  If you inadvertently contaminated that little pocket of fluid with bacteria, you could develop an abscess.

Call your surgeon if you're worried about fluid.  That's part of his job.
  Yikes!   :o

Dr. Pope, M.D.
[/quote]

Im pretty sure i did it the right way, i made sure i cleaned the whole are with alcohol like 5 times. So i dont think it should be a problem. But is it normal to still acumulate fluid? im 19 days post op

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I have reread ths post several times and wracked my brain trying to find a diplomatic way to respond.

Finally, I gave up and decided to be absolutely frank.

I am a retired USAF Medic. I have served as the chief Medical Tech in an Emergency Room.  I would not think of doing such a thing as draining a surgical wound on myself or even a family member without the surgeon prescribing such action.

This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever read on the internet.
Grandpa Dan

Offline rashdudes

• Bronze Member
Its your body dude! All here can only give you a sane advice thats all.
If you had to outright do what you intended then why ask for help/advice  ???

Offline Karu

• Posting Member
What the hell? Did I just read this thread right?

Offline MSJ108

I have reread ths post several times and wracked my brain trying to find a diplomatic way to respond.

Finally, I gave up and decided to be absolutely frank.

I am a retired USAF Medic. I have served as the chief Medical Tech in an Emergency Room.  I would not think of doing such a thing as draining a surgical wound on myself or even a family member without the surgeon prescribing such action.

This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever read on the internet.

:D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024