Author Topic: My gynecomastia journey (the beginning!)  (Read 15907 times)

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member
Hi everyone,

firstly... what a relief to find this forum!  I found it yesterday and it's been really interesting to read about other people's successes, troubles and experiences with gynecomastia and the associated surgery.

I have suffered with gynecomastia since puberty.  I am now 26.  I am 5ft 8 and weigh 11st 6 (approx  160 lbs) which is slightly overweight, but really only just on the cusp.  I have put on weight over the last few years as a result of despondency with my body.  Even at my slimmest (around 140 lbs) I still had man boobs.

For the last four months, I have been losing weight (15 lbs so far!) thanks to an outdoor exercise boot camp that really pushes me to my limits.  I'm really enjoying the exercise and the improved fitness, but if anything my chest is getting bigger because of the muscle I am putting on.

I finally decided that enough was enough and went to speak to my GP about it on Tuesday of this week.  She was of the opinion that an operation would be suitable for me, though gave me no diagnosis, and has referred me to a plastic surgeon (I think...) at Charing Cross Hospital, near where I live in London.

I'm waiting to receive a letter with details of this appointment.  I wanted to find out if anyone else here has successfully had surgery on the NHS, particularly in London, and what your experiences were like.  I honestly don't think going private is an option for me, financially.  I'd be more than happy to take out a loan to cover it, but due to previous financial problems years ago, I generally find it quite hard to obtain credit.

I'm a really active, outgoing, sociable person.  I love clubbing, going on holidays etc and I can't even begin to describe how much my chest has held me back in that respect.  I constantly feel inferior to all my friends who mostly are very slim and defined.  I hate taking my top off anywhere and after more than a decade of feeling like this, something really needs to change.

Here are some photos...

I was actually quite cold when I took those photos.  Normally, my nipples are even puffier and pointier than that...

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member
So, I have contacted Clinic Beucare (based in Brussels) for a consultation.  They quote £1550 on their website for this operation and I've managed to find two people on here who had successful surgery with them (after much use of the 'search' function!).

Fingers crossed this consultation goes well... £1550 is affordable for me (just) and Brussels is very easy to get to from London.  I'll also be happier taking a train rather than flying just after surgery which would rule out the surgery in Barcelona that seems to be popular...

Offline phantom51red

• Posting Member
Hi LL, .i just booked a consultation with karidis,now im havin second thoughts since i came acroos youre beucare post !,my flights booked to london but that beucare place is lookin better option cause of price !

cheers

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member
Karidis is such a proven surgeon though... looking round this forum and his 'after' photos are just amazing.  I'd love to go to Karidis if I could afford it, but it would take me years to save and I'm really intent on having the surgery soon.  I just can't live with my moobs much longer.

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member
Consultation booked with Beaucare for 1st September... I can't wait!  It's with Dr Vrambout, and I really look forward to hopefully getting this surgery booked if he inspires confidence in me.

Offline phantom51red

• Posting Member
Hey ll let us know what ye think of your consultation,ive got mine with karidis and beaucare same day,1 week after you,so let us know mate ,cheers.

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member
Today I had my consultation with Dr Vrambout, the director of Beaucare.

The consultation was great.  Brief (at about 15 minutes) but he was more than happy to answer all my questions.  He looked at and felt my chest, squeezing and pressing and confirmed that I have very large gland to be removed and that he was extremely confident that Dr Plovier could achieve a completely flat chest.

I asked how many gynecomastia operations Plovier has performed and was told that he performs at least one every week.  He said that gynecomastia surgery really is seen as the last taboo in cosmetic surgery as so few men were prepared to talk about it, but that they had helped hundreds of men to achieve excellent results.

He inspired a lot of confidence in me, was not at all pushy and confirmed what I have always known to be true; that I will never have a flat chest without surgery regardless of how much I exercise and what I eat.  He advised me to have the surgery at some time, even if it was not now or not with Beaucare.

The only slight issue I had is the price.  He explained that the £1550 quoted on the site is for gland removal.  Liposuction is priced extra.  I had a feeling that the quoted price was too good to be true.

Still, the price is £2250 which is a considerable difference to the London surgeons.

I have made up my mind that I will have the surgery with Beaucare in Brussels.  He told me I'll need to stay in the hotel for 2 nights after surgery so they can remove my drains before I return home and then gave me lots of written information about the surgery and recovery.

Now I just need to get my finances together and complete my loan application and I'll book the surgery.  The waiting list is apparently 4 weeks from booking.

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member
So, a quick update.

I have not yet booked the surgery with Beaucare, as my GP referred me to a plastic surgeon at Charing Cross Hospital, and my appointment is on the 15th October.  I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say and talking to the surgeon.  Having this operation on the NHS really would be such an enormous help financially, though I would only go through with it if I felt very confident in the surgeon.  And all this is presuming funding was even granted for the op in the first place.

Still, good to explore all options before booking surgery I think.

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member
Well, another update.

I had my appointment today at Charing Cross Hospital (Imperial College Healthcare Trust) with the plastic surgery department.  To say I was surprised by the positive outcome would be an understatement!

The doctor asked me a series of questions about lifestyle (smoking, drinking, cannabis, steroids etc) and also a few questions about my testicles and liver.  He examined my testicles, which I wasn't expecting(!) though I gather this is to check that everything is functioning correctly and that normal male sex organs developed etc.  He then examined my liver pushing on my tummy.  Everything was as normal, on both counts!

He then examined my chest in detail both standing and lying down and from afar.  He told me that they do two different sorts of operations; the full breast reduction where skin is cut away (something I immediately said I would not consider) and lipo/gland excision.  We discussed this in detail.  He went through all the risks involved and said that I must have realistic expectations, which I do.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he told me that funding is already approved for gynecomastia treatment in patients where their lifestyle is healthy, which mine is.  I am already now on a waiting list for surgery, most likely with Adam Topping who is the most experienced breast surgeon at the hospital, and has also carried out gyne operations.  Has anyone here had surgery with Topping?  I know he was featured on TV for a female breast reduction, but I understand that's a very different procedure so no guarantee he's great at gyne I guess...

I then had to go to Clinical Photography dept and have photos of my chest taken, as they said they won't operate without them.  And now I just have to wait for a surgery date!  They have waiting list targets of 3 months, so it will be fairly soon.

I'm really excited, though keeping my expectations low.  I know others have been disappointed with NHS surgery but I feel quite confident, and I have said no to the more invasive surgery, so if I am not satisfied with results, it will be because too much is left in which can always be sorted privately at a later date, worst case scenario.

I'm just pleased that this is possible on the NHS... without taking out a crippling loan, I would not have been able to afford private surgery for quite some time.  I'm feeling optimistic.

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member
A question for all those who have been through surgery... the NHS only supply tight bandages post operation.  I am thinking about buying a compression garment - any recommendations?

Offline kingboob

http://www.designveronique.com/

http://www.holisticgarmentsdirect.co.uk/index.asp

Get yourself measured up properly because these garments are supposed to be snug & supportive but not massively tight.   I ordered one from design veronique when I had surgery last year and because of bad measurements/post surgery swelling it was too tight (I could hardly breathe). 

Offline londonlad

• Posting Member

Offline wannabemassive

• Bronze Member
I had my left pec done 10 days ago, on the NHS, will be getting thright one done in under 6weeks, would have loved to go private if i had the money.

Remember you will have to wait for 3-6 months for the final out come and dont just sit around after the first month get back in the gym and work hard.

As for the compresson Garments i would not bother you wont be able to lift your hand above your head for about 4days, wear a loose fitting t-shirt.

You can buy scar reducing plasters from boots for under £5. use them for extra 4days post surgery.

I have flat spots above and below the nipple so training hard for the next 6months is going to be a must. Then if still not happy with colapsed nipple i will HUNT DOWN the best breast surgeon and see what they can do.

Wannabemassive

TRAIN HARD AND LIVE LONG

Offline creative

• Bronze Member
The doctor asked me a series of questions about lifestyle (smoking, drinking, cannabis, steroids etc) and also a few questions about my testicles and liver.  He examined my testicles, which I wasn't expecting(!) though I gather this is to check that everything is functioning correctly and that normal male sex organs developed etc.  He then examined my liver pushing on my tummy.  Everything was as normal, on both counts!

They are checking for Klinefelter's syndrome.

Remember you will have to wait for 3-6 months for the final out come and dont just sit around after the first month get back in the gym and work hard.

Not exactly. Yes, by all means, go back to the gym - i did. But get back into it slowly and don't push yourself too hard. I know, i know, no pain no gain but this time you don't want too much pain! In fact, your body will need a lot of time to heal properly so i'd just suggest doing cardio and perhaps a bit of weights. Cardio mainly for shifting the extra weight you may have put on.

As for the compresson Garments i would not bother you wont be able to lift your hand above your head for about 4days, wear a loose fitting t-shirt.

Hmm, i really don't agree with this. Compression vests provide a lot of support once the bandages come off! Even though movement is limited, the pain is greatly reduced and healing and final result is improved. Just read around here for proof. Remember: the vest is for after the bandages come off.

I have flat spots above and below the nipple so training hard for the next 6months is going to be a must. Then if still not happy with colapsed nipple i will HUNT DOWN the best breast surgeon and see what they can do.

You might be going at it too hard! Seriously, don't over-exert yourself. I notice you are 11 days post op? Are you training already?? You want to heal properly and IMO its not worth slowing down or preventing good results just for a slightly higher bench press.

Please take what i've said positively - in the way it was intended :)

Offline wannabemassive

• Bronze Member
Dear Creative. Please take what i've said positively - in the way it was intended

I read and learned. I was back at the gym 1week after surgery on the bike and training legs and abs.

Day 14 i have already planed to train chest on the endurance side of training, reps to 15 1min rest.

Doc had actually stated that he was suprized how small the gland was and how much of my chest is muscle.
When i first noticed the gyno i instantly spent 6months training extremly hard in the gym then went to my GP, since march i have continued to train extremly hard up to 2days before my surgery.

Your right you dont want to much pain. I just wanted the boys to be motivated to go and shape there new chest. Flexability has been the major thing i have done twice aday once in the morning and once in the evening.

As for the garments i just think that if you want to spend the time and money go for it but if the swelling is to bad then you have just wasted your time. each to there own.

Wannabemassive

TRAIN HARD LIVE LONG

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024