Author Topic: NHS Op soon  (Read 2425 times)

Offline snedd

• Posting Member
I posted on here a while back when I was just starting off the process. About a year later and today I went to see the surgeon at the Oxford royal infirmary to go through the op and make sure I was still okay with it.

My case is quite mild, just the puffy nipples really so she made quite a big deal about the disadvantages especially scarring. She's going to make a semi circular incision around the areola and remove the gland from there.
I was wondering if anyone has experience of scarring from this procedure? At the moment I feel that a little bit of scarring would be better than what I have at the moment. If they were realy bad though, I don't know.

Also, the surgeon said that she wouldn't remove all the gland so that I didn't get inverted nipples, does it grow back?

Thanks for you help guys

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
in my first op i had the cuts made around the nipples, kind of like a half moon. after a while they not noticeable, and only u knw they are there.

its best the surgeon takes out as much gland as possible.  it doesnt matter if it looks slightly concaved, as it always tends to fill back out.  its better than having to much left in i say.
July 04 - Gland removal + liposuction- Adriaan Grobbelaar. Results: Terrible
Feb 05 - Lipo Revision- Alex Karidis.
Nov 05 - Gland + Lipo- Alex Karidis.
Jun 06 - LHS gland + Lipo - Alex Karidis.

Offline snedd

• Posting Member
thanks, anyone else?
think I should suggest the surgeon take out more gland than they have said?

Offline chestrockwell

• Silver Member
Yeah get em to rip the lot out m8, your chest should fill out nicely as mine is doing now, i had a mild case of gyne (hard lumps no fat) and i have had the whole gland removed as i didnt want it reacouring!, my chest looks great at the moment and its healing nicely,im having a good old scrap with the scar tissue at the moment... but i seem to be kicking its @ss ;).

With you having the areola incision your scar tissue should be less of a problem than mine, because i had the incision in the armpit!.. and the scar tissue goes from the armpit down to thhe nipple, so if this isnt broken up by "massage and stretching" it will restrict my overall movent in my arms.

As far as the gland growing back, very rarely happens!.

chris.

Offline snedd

• Posting Member
Update:
Just got back home having had the op yesterday at around 11. I'm not really sure how well it went, neither did the surgeon which was not very encouraging. My nurse was awful, could hardly speak english and could not explain anything to me post op. As she pulled the drains out I saw my chest and it looks almost the same as before at the moment, obviously have to wait and see though.
My compression vest hasn't arrived in the post yet so ive got a tubular bandage type thing on which is pretty tight. When I get the vest, do I just put it straight over my chest? no pads or anything, at the moment I have nothing between the bandage and chest.
Thanks for your help.

Offline chestrockwell

• Silver Member
after a week when the bandages come off i put on a Tshirt and then put my compresion vest over the top!, it stops the vest irritating the skin and keeps you nice and snug, if you have the adjustable "hook an eye" vest like mine you can just slacken it off slightly as the T shirt underneath will make it tighter, i think geg100 has done this also for the same reasons.

chris

Offline snedd

• Posting Member
Thanks I'll give that a try.

Offline radio-boy

• Posting Member
Did you guys get the vests given to you by the hospital?

As i see alot of websites selling them  ???

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello snedd

I'm surprised (and a little concerned) that the hospital did not fully explain the whole procedure to you.  Did the surgeon remove part of all of the gland in the end?  Do you know how often she performs this procedure?

It's not mine or anyone else's place to really advise you on bandages and vests, that really is the job of your surgeon or nurse at the hospital.  However, I can speak from my own experience and all those that went to the Priory for surgery.  Here, we are bandaged up and asked to keep the bandage in place for a whole week.  Following that a compression vest (that we had to buy from a recommended supplier) for three full weeks, wearing it 24 hours a day (I am currently in the middle of week two).  After that, its another two weeks,  during the night only.

I hope that helps, but from a formal point of view, I would suggest you give the hospital a call and follow their protocol.

Hope that helps.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024