Author Topic: What's better.........  (Read 1943 times)

Offline elcubano

• Posting Member
Hi,

What's better - weight loss before surgery or weight loss after surgery?

I'm roughly 30 pounds overweight. Should I lose the 30 pounds before going into surgery or should I have the surgeon remove as much gland and fat from my chest and then lose the 30 pounds?

By the way, I'm still looking for a competent surgeon who has extensive experience in dealing with gynecomastia. However, such a surgeon seems not to exist in my area - south Florida. I am a firm believer in doing things the right way the first time around. Therefore, I believe I will be choosing either Dr. - or Dr. Bermant. Who would you choose? What are your opinions? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:08:50 AM by cleanup »

Offline markashleigh1979

• I've had my final operation :)

Offline Hypo-is-here

Not necessarily.

According to many surgeons, you want to be at your typical body weight at the time of surgery- NOT overweight and not in an unsustainable condition.

If you are too heavy it can make surgery difficult but if you diet too much prior to surgery then it can mean that in presenting an untrue picture of your likely/typical bodyweight the surgeon is more conservative with liposuction and glandular excision.

You don't want to present a thin version of yourself and a bodyweight that is unsustainable and have too little tissue taken away and end up looking great immediately after surgery but ultimately not as good once you reach your typical bodyweight.

DrBermant

Hi,

What's better - weight loss before surgery or weight loss after surgery?

I'm roughly 30 pounds overweight. Should I lose the 30 pounds before going into surgery or should I have the surgeon remove as much gland and fat from my chest and then lose the 30 pounds?

By the way, I'm still looking for a competent surgeon who has extensive experience in dealing with gynecomastia. However, such a surgeon seems not to exist in my area - south Florida. I am a firm believer in doing things the right way the first time around. Therefore, I believe I will be choosing either Dr. - or Dr. Bermant. Who would you choose? What are your opinions? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Weight Loss Before Surgery is typically better than weight loss after surgery.  Losing weight is a coarse tool.  Plastic Surgery is best reserved as a refinement tool.  You cannot pick where the weight comes from, nor goes onto.  Men typically gain weight first on the stomach, love handles, and chest.  We typically take weight off the same areas last.  Major weight loss after surgery may not come from your chest.  If like most men, you do not lose as much from the chest, it may look as if your gynecomastia has recurred.  Some of my patients loose their weight after surgery and get away with it.  However, weight loss after surgery is a gamble.

Getting to a weight you are comfortable with is often best.  Taking weight off, having surgery, and then putting weight back on is a problem.  If as with most men, weight is put on the breasts, it can look like the gynecomastia has come back.

After major weight loss, there may be loose drooping tissues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 09:02:44 AM by DrBermant »

Offline Hypo-is-here

Now that is a good post.

In fact Dr B was the person I was thinking about most in reference to my last post.

Offline Spleen

My doc recommended acheiving a goal weight before surgery if one is overweight.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024