Author Topic: With Age comes perpsective  (Read 2867 times)

Offline lrz2004

It is funny lifes twists.  My sister had breast implants at age 47 and my niece is having it now (age 19).  I offered them mine but it was not quite big enough.  The sad thing is my sister has been in the hospital three times over the years because of problems with the implants yet if she had to do it again, she would.      

I developed this late in life (age 50).  If it was not painfull, I wouldn't be bothered.  Why I have it bothers me but not that I have it.  I am told by the surgeon I went to that my breasts are an A cup.  I joke about it but I can see how if this happened at an age where socialization was important and I was less confident this might be a problem.  

I have read posts from kids and young adults and it bothers me how this is effecting you . I have  14 and 18 year old sons and can't help but think any of you could be them.  

Please speak with you parents.   While no parent wants to see thier kids have surgery, if my kids felt the pain that some of you feel, I would find a way to fund the  surgery.  I am sure I am no different then you parents.   If they make light of your situation, it is the fear of the surgery that is causing this.   If you show then this site and the pain this is not only causing you but many of the people on this site they will come to  understand.  

In the big picture the cost of surgery is small compare to the large impact of selfestem.

Good luck

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
What he says makes a lot of sense.

He points out that his gyne was late coming, after the age of 50. There are a lot of things that may cause the condition at that age. Drugs used for prostate problems are a frequent offender, but there are many other things that could cause Gynecomastia as well.

He is less concerned about the gynecomastia than he is about the reason it has developed. This is a very good perspective at any age.

Yet he is also understanding of the people who are at an age where self image and socialization are major issues.

I think this is an excellent post and should be read by everyone.
Grandpa Dan

Offline moobius

• Gold Member

Please don't be mislead into thinking surgery necessarily cures gyno. A significant number of people are not satisfied with surgery and find they need to have 2 or even 3 surgeries before it is 'acceptable'. Few even wind up looking worse than before. If surgery truly cured gyno, there would be no real issue to it. Boom! One visit to the PS and the problem is solved! No such luck, I'm afraid.

sugery doesnt' cure what caused the gynecomastia, but it is a way to treat the abnormal growth of breast tissue.
a significant number of people ARE satisfied with a single surgury and do not require multiples. like any plastic sugery, there will be people that are not quite happy with the outcome (whether it be the surgeons fault, unrealistic expectations, improperly following post op guidelines, etc) and will go back for additional surgery.

it sounds like you are trying to scare people away from surgery, when it may in fact be the best course of action for some who are deeply troubled by the condition.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member

I'm just providing a balanced view when some people forget to mention the cons. And I could say that it sounds like you are trying to encourage people to get surgery. The gravity of convincing others to get surgery is greater, IMO. Everyone would do themselves good to remember that.

if you read my actual words instead of what you thought i said, i never said anthing to encourage people to get surgery. i simply stated a few basic FACTS.

1) surgery does not cure what caused the condition
2) surgery is a way to treat abnormal growth of breast tissue
3) a significant number of people ARE satisfied with a single surgury
4) like any plastic sugery, there will be people that are not quite happy with the outcome (whether it be the surgeons fault, unrealistic expectations, improperly following post op guidelines, etc) and will go back for additional surgery.
5) surgery may in fact be the best course of action for some who are deeply troubled by their condition
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 06:09:02 AM by moobius »

Offline billybigboobs

• Posting Member
I was offered surgery but after seeing quite a few poor women who have had mastectomys I would rather let my local butcher do the job than some of these guys!
Think Ill just keep my titties thanx, there are are lot worse things can happen to you.

Offline unisys

• Bronze Member

I know. And if you read my original post, I never said anything but facts either.

Why do you spread so much misinformation throughout these forums regarding gynecomastia surgery?  In your original post you say that a significant number of people are unsatisfied with their surgery and need multiple ops.  This is patently false and there are absolutely no statistics that support your claims.  

This is a cosmetic surgery and everyone who gets it done obviously knows and understands that their are risks and that they won't look absolutely normal after surgery.  But people still get it done because they have hope that the surgery will alleviate most of their worries, which it most often does.

Just because you might be afraid of getting the surgery doesn't mean you should blatantly decieve people by suggesting surgery does nothing for a significant number of people.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:37:24 PM by unisys »

Offline unisys

• Bronze Member

I do not spread any misinformation. There are indeed a significant number (not percentage, mind you) of people who are not satisfied with their surgery and who have indeed had two or three surgeries. If we talk about those who are simply not satisfied with no speculation about whether or not they have had another surgery to fix it, the percentage is indeed around 30%. You can check the forums for references of these figures.  

No, you can't assume everyone knows this. In fact, many newcomers to the site have clearly demonstrated they do not realize this. Can you blame them when people like you (I suppose) get off on mentioning how wonderful everything is for you after surgery without any mention of what you think they should know?

Where are your statistics which show that surgery hopefully alleviates most of the worries of people who get it and that this is most often the case?

You're assuming (and maybe accusing) I'm afraid of surgery. Where is your evidence to back this up? Could it be perhaps that you selfishly don't want to lose momentum on your decision to have surgery or have had bad surgery and wouldn't mind seeing others make the same mistake?

What a load of crap.

Please provide us your source for the statistic suggesting 30% of patients need a revision.

Surgery is the only way to cure gynecomastia, and if done properly should work for everyone.  The only way to help sufferers is to point them in the right direction to the cure, by suggesting surgeons that are successful at treating this problem, and to make sure they have realistic expectations.  Nobody who goes for surgery is making a mistake, and very very rarely are people worse off after surgery.  They might be unsatisfied, but almost nobody complains of being worse off.  Almost everyone usually comes out looking much better after surgery.  Just because you have a fear of surgery doesn't mean you should go around suggesting that winning the lotto was easier than coming out of surgery satisfied.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:48:58 PM by unisys »

Offline babble

• Posting Member

I do not spread any misinformation. There are indeed a significant number (not percentage, mind you) of people who are not satisfied with their surgery and who have indeed had two or three surgeries. If we talk about those who are simply not satisfied with no speculation about whether or not they have had another surgery to fix it, the percentage is indeed around 30%. You can check the forums for references of these figures.  

I think it's important to bare in mind that those who are dissatisfied with their surgery are more likely post on a board like this.  Posts of members worrying contour, scarring, etc are much more prevalent than those posting their satisfaction with results.  This board is would be a misleading sample.

I think the original post was great.  It will help young men talk to their parents about something they may be too embarrased to talk about.

Offline Hypo-is-here

To be fair there can be a tendency on this website for people to suggest surgery and put that in the mind of fellow gynecomastia sufferers when perhaps surgery isn't always the best option for that individual- certainly it is never the only option.

Some people do prefer to live/cope with the condition and for them that is the best choice, some do so with a variety of vests that conceal the problem.  Medications are successful and the best option for other men (although this is a small minority in the US due to historical preferences not to medicate the problem).

And of course for some people surgery is the best choice.

My gynecomastia was significantly reduced with Andractim (prescribed), but it did not resolve the problem so I opted for surgery, that was me.

People must be allowed to choose what is right for themselves.

To enable people to do that we must try to provide good quality impartial advice, this can be difficult when we ourselves have a particular preference, but we must do this for the sake of our fellow man.

Graham is entitled to think that surgery is not the best course of action and he is right to have a go at anyone that is suggesting surgery to anyone who has not raised the subject themselves.  He is also right to have a go at anyone who only gives a one-sided evaluation of the available options.

Unfortunately where Graham does himself no favours at all and is entirely wrong is in the fact that in trying to provide balance he only give his one sided view on the matter and in doing so paints a bias one sided picture.

You cannot paint half the picture and say that balance is achieved because other men paint the other half of the picture, because fellow sufferers requiring help then arrive at the website and hear two conflicting opinions and arguments and simply do not know who or what to believe and that helps nobody!

So to give good advice you have to paint the full picture, tell the whole story, offer the one and only truth and allow people to make there own minds up as to what is best for them.  That way and only that way will they have been properly helped by you and the website…..whoever you are and whatever your personal opinion.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:28:01 PM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline unisys

• Bronze Member
I agree with Billyboy, you can quote all you want but everything you're saying is either lies or exaggerations.  Please post a link with these statistics you speak of, and relevant information on all the factors they took into account.  I don't trust hypo or you on this issue, because I know for sure that for rarer plastic surgery procedures such as gynecomastia, these types of statistics are usually absent and the only information out there is from the people who have actually had the surgery.  Most of the journals that quote gynecomastia statistics have miniscule sample sizes (5-10) and no photographs of the patients.  Their statistics correlate only with the group that was selected and it is foolish to extrapolate that data to everyone else.  

The only data I could find on the revision rate in general was from this website:

http://www.phudson.com/tourism/goodops.html
http://www.phudson.com/tourism/goodops_p.html

Here it says the revision rate is <5%.  I don't trust these statistics at all, but I think the true number is closer to this than it is to whatever you say it is.

And I never suggested that I'd pick a surgeon based on gut feeling, you're putting words into my mouth.  We can only suggest surgeons based on feedback from people who have gone to those surgeons.  If you think there's something wrong doing that much, you've got issues.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
This thread seems to have become purely an argument over the pro vs con Re: Surgery.

My own view is base upon my own experience and as the say your mileage may differ.

Like most people, my Gynecomastia presented itsel when I was 12-13 years old. That was 1949-1950. The surgery has been available barely over 20 years, meaning that I was nearing 50 and had no alternative but to deal with it for all those years. By the time the surgery became available, I had different priorities so I never seriously considered it for myself. I have said several times that I may have taken that route if the option had been available when I was younger.

The unfortunate truth is that there are people who have had less than satisfactory results from surgery. I'll leave the discussion of how great the numbers or percentages of these cases there are to others. but there are several reasons why these cases even exist.

In no particular order, several reasons follow which would be examples of why and/or how these surgeries go awry.  

BDD or Body Dysmorphic Disorder is one; Too often these people are in the fast track to surgery (which they do not need and will not likely ever be happy with) when it would be more apropos to refer them to a Psychologist.

Unrealistic expectations is another; Whether the hear Minimal scars and think No scars or think that surgery is going to turn them into Mr Universe matters not, their expectations are unrealistic and they are not satisfied.

Re-growth, It happens! Who would be happy with that outcome?

Lastly, there is the issue of the qualifications of the surgeon. Some of these men are so desperate, that they"ll almost let anyone take a scalpel to them.

My personal belief is that there should be standards that must be met prior to surgery These standards should include a workup by an Endocrinologist qualified to assess the reason for the Gynecomastia and if it was brought on by a hormonal or other problem, treat the condition and present for surgery a patient who is hormonally as normal and stable as possible.  Also to be included would be a Psychologist to ensure that the person does indeed have the condition and that their expectations are realistic.

There are several reasons why a man either cannot or will not seek surgery. They should be able to come to this forum and be helped with whatever coping strategies may be apropiate. For some, it is enough just to know that they are not alone.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:58:59 PM by Paa_Paw »

Offline unisys

• Bronze Member

You know for sure? Just how 'rare' do you think gynecomastia is? I hope you don't make a fool of yourself when you answer.

And yet the journal reviewers seem to have missed that.  

You came to this conclusion just from that website?

If you've already decided on surgery, fine. Just don't go telling everyone who even thinks they have gyno that they need surgery.

I know 17k people got gynecomastia surgery last year.  I don't know how prevalent it is; and what does the prevalence rate have to do with anything I said?

And did I say I came to a conclusion just from that website?  All I said is that you've totally misinterpreted the data you've read in journals.  Defend yourself with facts, not more bs.  Give me links to these journal articles you say you've read.

Offline unisys

• Bronze Member

30% is not a low percentage. Even 10% is significant. Also, if I found just 3 people on these boards who were not satisfied with their surgery, I would not call them 'insignificant'. I'd like to see you tell these guys on their face that they are 'insignificant'.

The 30% is bunk unless you can provide some proof.  And stfu with that pansy bs about calling people 'insignificant.'  Nobody is calling anybody insignificant, stop putting words into everyone's mouth.  Saying that 3 people out of 100 needing revision surgery is an insignificant percentage is very different from actually calling someone insignificant.  

Offline babble

• Posting Member
I agree, things are really being taken out of context here.   grahm ash is really twisting people's words.  Let's just all agree that nobody should either convince anyone on this board TO, or NOT TO have surgery.  It's entirely their decision.  

You should stick to providing information about your experience, not your opinions, and hopefully it will help someone make their decision.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024