Author Topic: anestesia  (Read 4448 times)

Offline braveboy

• Gold Member
  • formerly shyboy
There does't seem to be much information on this site about the concerns and complications caused by anestsia.I personally am more afraid to be put under than the gyn procedure itself.It would be great if the men that have had  anestesia could give us some fedback on their own eperiences.Positive or negitive. ??? ???

Offline mumoft

• Posting Member
Even though there are always unforseen complications with general anesthesia, if you are having it under a board certified anesthesiologist, and you are a healthy individual, then it should not be a problem. My son has severe asthma, and had trouble breathing when he came out of surgery. The doctor told him before the surgery that if this happened he would give him a shot of epinephrine, I think, which helped.  His surgery lasted 3 hours but we were at the hospital for 4-5 hours more just waiting for him to feel better from the anesthesia. He just drifted in and out of sleep. Once he got up to go to the bathroom, and passed out.  Hope this helps.

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Dr. Bermant has some great threads on the topic.

If he sees this thread, you'll see more talk about anesthesia than you can imagine.

DrBermant

There does't seem to be much information on this site about the concerns and complications caused by anestsia.I personally am more afraid to be put under than the gyn procedure itself.It would be great if the men that have had  anestesia could give us some fedback on their own eperiences.Positive or negitive. ??? ???

Risks for anesthesia depends on many factors.  We treat many patients with asthma using our sedation techniques.

Each surgeon has his / her preferences about anesthesia.  I typically use local with heavy sedation.  That is not general anesthesia, but the patient is not awake.  We use medications injected into an IV for this sedation.  That is how we help keep our patients comfortable for most types of gynecomastia chest sculpture.  Sedation itself is an art.  I will use local anesthesia alone when performing actual nipple reduction surgery.

I prefer to perform tumescent anesthesia with sedation over general anesthesia or local anesthesia alone for most types of male chest sculpture. We take the comfort of our patients very seriously. You used to be able to find a number of posts here in this forum where patients describe their anesthesia experiences under this local anesthesia with sedation, however they all have been purged with the recent update.  You can find a number of patients talking about personal experiences with local anesthesia and sedation here.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:04:24 PM by DrBermant »

Offline jc71

Dr. Bermant: What happened to all those anesthesia threads you had saved?

Offline jc71

[quote
They were purged during the fixing of the broken YaBB database here.
[/quote]

That's too bad. There was alot of good info there.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 08:15:15 PM by jc71 »

Offline Hypo-is-here

There are risks with everything in life even in crossing the road or taking a trip via a car, train, plain etc.

I have been put under dozens of times and I do not worry about it in the slightest because like crossing the road or taking a car journey, I know that the odds on anything happening are remote and not worth the worry.

Offline jc71

Dozens of times? Even using US math, that's at least 24.

Having been put under that many times would make anyone confident.  

Offline rocky

• Posting Member
well anaesthesia was also a concern for me .Moreover my parents being doctors i was aware of the odd possibilities of this.Therefore , i got it done through local anaesthesia.This is better and the recovery is also good, however this is a little painful.But hey , dont worry,this pain is absolutely bearable and i mush have done something like 'Ouch!' at the most during the procedure.

Wht they did in my case was , pinged in few injectections around my nipples on either side.This was not painful..just the normal injection.After this they injected my chest with a mixture of water and an anaesthetic chemical called Xylocane.This injection was a bit painful , but absolutely bearable.After this the sensations went numb in my chest and believe me when the lipo + gland was done , throughout the process i was joking and talking with my doctor.

The whole process took about 2 hrs i must say , and it was pretty cool.After this was over , stiches came in and then  the pressure garment.Rested about one hour and then went back to home in the car.Well , i did not have any kind of throwing up sensations or anything , only that i was tired.I went back home and slept for about 3 hours and then it was fine.I was also on antibiotics and painkillers , therefore i have not really felt any kind of pain other than the discomfort of the pressure garments and the oozing of fluid through the drains that they placed in.

I am three weeks down now , things are looking very bright , hopefully it would be even better with time.

My suggesstion to you is , if possible use the local , and you would do good.Just be careful in choosing the doctor , once u do this and then ur expected result is not met , you would feel depressed.The trick here is to really find out the right doctor.

All the Best !! :)

Offline Hypo-is-here

Dozens of times? Even using US math, that's at least 24.

correct.

Having been put under that many times would make anyone confident.  

That is true- but my confidence existed from day one based on the statistical facts.

well anaesthesia was also a concern for me.

Fair enough, always worth checking out the reassuring statistics though, if you have not done so already.  If you have then- fair enough.

Moreover my parents being doctors i was aware of the odd possibilities of this.Therefore , i got it done through local anaesthesia.This is better and the recovery is also good,

True/makes sense.

however this is a little painful.But hey , dont worry,this pain is absolutely bearable and i mush have done something like 'Ouch!' at the most during the procedure.

Pain or the lack of it will be based on many factors, everything from the general- extent and type of procedure, surgeons skills etc to the individual such as natural recovery, any complications, pain thresholds etc.

-My suggesstion to you is , if possible use the local , and you would do good.Just be careful in choosing the doctor , once u do this and then ur expected result is not met , you would feel depressed.The trick here is to really find out the right doctor.

All the Best !! :)

Spot on.

- Just my views /my personal experience nothing more- lots of different post op experiences- no right or wrong here.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
local?  

maybe it's just me, but i don't want the memories of this one.  local is for wisdom teeth and root canals    ;)
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024