Author Topic: Massively Fluctuating Testosterone  (Read 1811 times)

Offline WaldenInSpace

2 Surgeries, Massively Fluctuating Testosterone Levels, Looking for Answers

First of all, I apologize for this being so long, but I’m looking for answers, so I’m laying everything out there. I developed bilateral, glandular gynecomastia when I was about 15. My doctor said it would go away, it didn’t. I had some hormone and genetic tests at that time, which were negative/inconclusive. I had surgery at age 20 with Dr. Isik in Seattle, but the gyne regrew within a few months. I had a second surgery 8 months later with Dr. Isik again (which his office paid for), but the gyne came back a few months later.

I’m now 25 and considering a THIRD surgery, this time with Dr. Delgado (not messing around with anyone else). He recommended some more hormones testing before surgery, and this is where things get weird/frustrating. Here are my tests from this year:

3/7/13   Testosterone   51   ng/dL (normal 300-800) (lab indicated the sample was tested twice)
3/7/13   Estradiol   7.1   pg/mL
3/7/13   Progesterone   0.6   ng/mL
4/11/13   Testosterone   613   ng/dL
4/11/13   SHBG   48   nmol/L
4/11/13   FSH   1   mIU/mL
4/11/13   LH   3   mIU/mL
4/11/13   TSH   2.01   mcIU/mL
4/11/13   Prolactin   10   ng/mL
4/18/13   Estradiol   32   pg/mL
9/5/13   Testosterone   47   ng/dL
9/5/13   Estradiol   <20   pg/mL
9/5/13   FSH   7   mIU/mL
9/11/13   Testosterone   659   ng/dL
9/11/13   Prolactin   16   ng/mL
9/11/13   LH   2   mIU/mL
9/11/13   Estradiol   <20   pg/mL

Both times the testosterone results came back low, my doctor was concerned, and then when the follow up test came back normal, he dismissed the previous result as a lab error.

So my questions are:
Wtf is going on?
What are the chances of getting 2 lab errors that show massively low testosterone?
Is there anything that would cause such fluctuating testosterone levels?
Is the gyne regrowth after surgery more a cause of some underlying condition or the skill of the surgeon?

For reference I am 25 years old, 6’1”, 180lbs. I feel like I have symptoms of low testosterone (gynecomstia, very low sex drive, rarely have morning erections, low body/facial hair, low energy).

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Offline fsugrad

• Posting Member
Your prolactin level seems high to me.  Please list the test ranges with your numbers.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Your questions are clearlyway over the heads of most people here. Hopefully you are now seeing an Endocrinologist.
Grandpa Dan

Offline slack2215

Short of seeing an endocrinologist try reading the article on exrx about hormone disrupters. I can't post the link but a google search will find it easily.

It basically says we are exposing ourselves to powerful synthetic chemicals (namely bpa, pthalates, oxybenzone, parabens etc...) that can significantly alter our hormone production. I'm really looking into this as the source of my gyne regrowth and could be the cause of many people's gyne in general. Good luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024