Author Topic: Intro and a Question  (Read 7389 times)

Offline TigerPaws

Wearing medical grade support hose is something I have done for much longer than I have had to wear a bra.(20-30 is what I have to wear as well)  At least 25years now for the hose.
I will add that the hose I use today is magnitudes better than what I started with.  How can it be comfortable in hot sweaty conditions you ask.   Seems it does wick moisture away from your skin so much easier to wear than it appears. It also stays up now, something that was a problem early on.  Even tried the garters,  what a disaster in the building construction business.
I have no choice, as even after vein surgery ~8 years  ago which was intended to get me away from these, I managed to get blood clots in my legs when not wearing so my surgeon told me to just get over it, wear the hose daily  and I have.  I don't feel dressed without my hose on now, and my legs certainly are much better after wearing the hose daily, and most important, no more blood clots!

I personally cannot see how compression pantyhose can be tolerable (let alone comfortable) when heat indexes are over 100F.

Yesterday the index was 109F and I had a 2 hour drive (1 hour into the sun) in a car without air conditioning. My clothes felt like they just got out of a washing machine by the time I got home - and that's without wearing another heavy layer. I wear steel toe leather work boots and walk a lot, so I need to wear decently thick socks. Adding compression hosiery will make 3 thick layers just on my feet.

My issue is not with the hose, but with the insurance company. Compression hosiery is NOT a cure, it's a bandaid - and an expensive one (over $100 per pair). Surgery is a cure if it works and that's what should be tried first. If surgery fails as it did  in your case, then I would have to figure something out.

As it stands, they are giving me the choice between stasis eczema, leg ulcers, and future DVTs or heat stroke and fungal infections on my feet.

TMB
You can thank the liberals for Obama Care which is the root cause of most of your medical options. And by-the-way those medically approved support socks/hosiery are subject to a medical device tax.

All for your benefit of course.

If you want a cure then vote against the liberal political agenda, save your money and pay to have the medical procedure yourself.

Complaining solves NOTHING!

You have a few choices with your issues:

1. Pay out of your own pocked and deal with your issues as you see fit.
2. Suffer in peace and quiet because no one here or anywhere else is interested in hearing you complain.
3. End yourself because no one outside of your immediate family gives a damn if you live or you die.

hammer

Bummed, as we told you in the pass, you have chioces, you can make. I'm sure insurance will pay 80% of the compression hose cost.

We are having heat index of 107 today and 115 tomorrow here in Minnesota and as we told you,  the hose have moisture wicking properties that make us feel cooler, it works!

If you don't have an air conditioner in your car, maybe you need a new one, if you can't afford one, then you should evaluate your financial situation, as we can't fix that for you!

We have told you how support hose have worked for us, either try them, or let's move on!

hammer

BTW, if I remember correctly, you said something about going to the VA, for your hearing! If so you can get your support hose at no cost to you, at least that's what my cost is!

TooMuchBoob

BTW, if I remember correctly, you said something about going to the VA, for your hearing! If so you can get your support hose at no cost to you, at least that's what my cost is!

I am only qualified to have my disability treated by the VA (tinnitus and hearing loss). My wife and I have too high of an income to qualify for full VA coverage.

TMB

hammer

I am only qualified to have my disability treated by the VA (tinnitus and hearing loss). My wife and I have too high of an income to qualify for full VA coverage.

TMB

I don't know when you last had that checked out, but the rules have changed since Obama care as I was in the same boat as you before the changes.  You may just fall into group 8 with the higher copay, check it out it wouldn't hurt to get some of your other care there if you are in an area with a good VA hospital like we have in Minneapolis.

TooMuchBoob

TMB

I don't know when you last had that checked out, but the rules have changed since Obama care as I was in the same boat as you before the changes.  You may just fall into group 8 with the higher copay, check it out it wouldn't hurt to get some of your other care there if you are in an area with a good VA hospital like we have in Minneapolis.

I'm an 8 something and that level has not been accepted since 2002. If you happen to have a link to the latest information, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, I will try to look it up later tonight.

And yes, the nearest VA hospital is quite good and service has been very fast. The longest I had to wait was when I applied and that was only about 10 minutes.

TMB

hammer

TMB

I'm an 8 something and that level has not been accepted since 2002. If you happen to have a link to the latest information, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, I will try to look it up later tonight.

And yes, the nearest VA hospital is quite good and service has been very fast. The longest I had to wait was when I applied and that was only about 10 minutes.

TMB

I do not have a link, however I do know that one of our fellow members here on the forum just got in at the VA at that level in the pass couple years! I know this because we are friends outside the forum and compared benefits as I'm a level 7, and he is an 8! I will not share who that is but I would recommend you go to the means and ways window at your VA and talk to them.

TooMuchBoob

TMB

TMB

I do not have a link, however I do know that one of our fellow members here on the forum just got in at the VA at that level in the pass couple years! I know this because we are friends outside the forum and compared benefits as I'm a level 7, and he is an 8! I will not share who that is but I would recommend you go to the means and ways window at your VA and talk to them.

Well thanks for the heads up hammer! I called the VA and sure enough, I now qualify with no copays except $8 for prescriptions.

Having a compensable military related disability changes the whole thing - income no longer matters.

TMB

hammer

You're welcome!

I'm sure you will enjoy the savings getting many of your needs met at the VA, I know I do! My wheelchair, walker, support hose, ect all come with zero copay!

I figured that you would qualify with your hearing as I'm going through that myself right now. I know that I posted about me having to change jobs in the Navy due to hearing lose, being that it's in my 201 file I'm hoping that it makes it easier to get the filling done on the hearing disability!

My hearing lose was 40-50db in the mid to low tones and 70db in the high tones! I had no hearing at all in the normal ranges! It sucks that I waited this long to do anything about it. I always said about the tendonitis that I could hear the electricity running in the walls, lol.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:56:32 PM by hammer »

TooMuchBoob

You're welcome!

My hearing lose was 40-50db in the mid to low tones and 70db in the high tones! I had no hearing at all in the normal ranges! It sucks that I waited this long to do anything about it. I always said about the tendonitis that I could hear the electricity running in the walls, lol.

My hearing loss is nearly identical - I couldn't believe I had a loss of 70db! My family has been fed up with having to repeat stuff for years, so yeah, glad I finally pursued it. They told me that with hearing aids, I will hear so much I've been missing that the tinnitus will even become a non-issue.

As for no cost medical equipment, I currently don't need any ( I don't need compression hosiery, I need surgery), but I'm sure something will come up in the future. If I am still healthy when I retire, I will probably be a volunteer at the VA Hospital to help out those vets less fortunate - transportation, etc.

TMB

hammer

You're welcome!

My hearing loss is nearly identical - I couldn't believe I had a loss of 70db! My family has been fed up with having to repeat stuff for years, so yeah, glad I finally pursued it. They told me that with hearing aids, I will hear so much I've been missing that the tinnitus will even become a non-issue.

As for no cost medical equipment, I currently don't need any ( I don't need compression hosiery, I need surgery), but I'm sure something will come up in the future. If I am still healthy when I retire, I will probably be a volunteer at the VA Hospital to help out those vets less fortunate - transportation, etc.

TMB

Maybe you can get that at the VA now!

My support hose are for a different problem so I can't get surgery for that, but I wouldn't want to go without them anymore!

I pickup my hearing aids on the 13th of august and it's hard to believe that I'm looking forward to getting them, but I'm looking forward  to hear what I've been missing!  I'm getting the kind that fit behind the ear and have the tiny tub that goes into the ear. I'll have the lanyard over the neck with the remote control that ties into my phone.

TooMuchBoob

Maybe you can get that at the VA now!

My support hose are for a different problem so I can't get surgery for that, but I wouldn't want to go without them anymore!

I pickup my hearing aids on the 13th of august and it's hard to believe that I'm looking forward to getting them, but I'm looking forward  to hear what I've been missing!  I'm getting the kind that fit behind the ear and have the tiny tub that goes into the ear. I'll have the lanyard over the neck with the remote control that ties into my phone.

Yeah, I hope they'll be more reasonable and attempt a cure instead of handing me a bandaid and shoving me out the door. If surgery fails, I will just have to make major life adjustments....

They are trying to give me the same sort of thing - which is fine except for the lanyard. I can't have it outside my clothing at work, so it's generally going to be soaking wet during warm weather. I also can't stand anything around my neck, so it's going to be an issue x365.

I want the type that BlueTooth directly to the phone - I don't need a middleman lanyard. I've been letting my hair grow out in preparation for the the actual hearing aids though. Can't have someone looking like they're just past 40 obviously wearing "old people" stuff lol

I'm picking mine up (maybe - if they work with my phones without the lanyard) exactly one week before you.

TMB

hammer

Instead of the lanyard they offered me a clip on device, that works the same way, but I went with the lanyard because I already have a medical ID around my neck anyway and the doctor said I can disconnect it to and use it as a remote control as well in my pocket.

I did know that I didn't want those big things in my ears, not because it makes me look older it's because I can't stand things in my ears! I can't use those role up ear plugs either, I use muffs instead, and that was hard to do when I was welding!

TooMuchBoob

Instead of the lanyard they offered me a clip on device, that works the same way, but I went with the lanyard because I already have a medical ID around my neck anyway and the doctor said I can disconnect it to and use it as a remote control as well in my pocket.

I did know that I didn't want those big things in my ears, not because it makes me look older it's because I can't stand things in my ears! I can't use those role up ear plugs either, I use muffs instead, and that was hard to do when I was welding!

I don't want a third piece of any sort. 2 phones and 2 hearing aids are enough to worry about carrying around. Any hearing aid with Bluetooth let's any smartphone be the remote control so that extra piece isn't needed. I guess I'll find out my options in 2 weeks....

I had initially considered the CIC types but they said nobody was happy with them. They felt plugged up and their voice sounded like it was coming from the bottom of a barrel. I did some research on my own and yeah, a lot of issues with any of them in the canal.

I really don't like the behind the ear (RIC) models because they're visible - but that's why I'm letting my hair grow out (it's been military cut for over 30 years).

I ended up at a large craft show the other weekend where the average age seemed to be 65 or so, and I didn't see anyone with a hearing aid (I was looking), so they are definitely not as common as glasses.

TMB

hammer

After I got out of the service I went 7 years without a hair cut, but it really didn't get real long, at least as long as you would think that it would.  During that time I found out that my thyroid was no good which explained the slow growth of my hair!

Now Debbie just uses the 1/4" guide to cut it and trims my beard every now and then and we're both happy! I don't care how old I look, I'll be 59 in January and have 4 grandkids so I really could care less!  However, I don't need glasses except for reading fine print!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024