Author Topic: Consultation on the NHS - Need Help!  (Read 2827 times)

Offline nearlythere

• Posting Member
A few weeks back I had an initial consultation but this was with a registrar and not the PS who would be carrying out this operation. Within this consultation I expressed some of my concerns with the surgery but as she would not be carrying out the operation I asked if I could actually speak to the PS so I had to wait a few weeks and the date is looming.

I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some input to my concerns before the consultation so I can confidently put my views across.

My first concern is the surgeon in question Mr S Thomson (lead clinician) based in the Hertfordshire area. Has anyone heard of or had any experiences with this gentleman?

Whilst talking to the registrar I was alarmed at some of her answers. I asked if an excision and lipo would be performed but I was told they only do the excision and 100% no lipo. Now at this point I was alarmed as I would presume lipo is necessary to sculpt the chest area after excision to keep a natural shape. Furthermore I enquired about compression vests and I was told they never use or inform patients to use the vest. From reading these helpful forums I have found every person recommends the vest after surgery so the skin doesn’t sag and leave a ghastly appearance. My final worry is the fact they would leave some of the gland in! Again from research the general trend is to remove the entire gland as it is prone to grow back.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Chodel

• Silver Member
  • Défectuosité toujours
I had a consultation with a surgeon from the NHS and he seemed to suggest he would do both excision and lippo.  Personally I think this is important (to have both) depending on your case, and I assume others would agree.

As for the compression vest, I am almost certain my surgeon said they would provide me with a compression vest.  I am a little hazey about specifics as you can probably tell because it was a long time ago and I'm not having it ont the NHS now.  Anyway, yes I would have thought they should provide you with a vest...it is important part of the healing process.  As you say to avoid sagging, helping of the skin etc to bond to new tissue (i believe) and also to avoid cavities which may fill up with liquid after surgery. 

As for the gland I'm not sure.

I think you shouldn't panic, and instead should wait til you meet the surgeon and hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.  Go armed with your questions (as you already seem to have done) and make sure you get the answers you are looking for, if not and you are not happy possibly reconsider your next move.

By the way, you could possibly purcahse your own compression vest for after surgery, there are a number of different types available, although it does strike me as odd that they wont provide you with one.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on after speaking to the surgeon!

Offline outertrial

Yeah, sounds like my nhs consultation, except they said they would only do lipo not remove gland. Never found out what would have happened as I went private - and I couldnt get funding either.

If youre not 100% happy with the surgeon then find another one even if you have to pay for it the money isnt that much and its well worth it to have it done proper like.

Offline CAP

• Posting Member
The NHS is a complete shambles when it come to this.

Earlier in the year I had to two consultations with Plastic Surgeons (two, rather than one, due to an NHS male thingy-up... which means I currently have two PS fighting over who'll get their hands on me).

One said he would use drains, recommended a compression vest be used for 7 months, and said he would probably only be doing lippo but might do excission if he found it was needed when he came to do the op.  He took pics of my chest, said men with gyne had a right to be treated as well as anyone else, and talked about how to achieve the best results and said scaring would be almost invisible.

The other said the wouldn't use drains, recommended a compression vest for 2 weeks only, and said he only did lippo.  He had crap people skills too.  Barely looked me in the eye, told me he would be making 4 incissions on each breast, and mentioned all the pitfalls and problems with scaring.

Needless to say I'm fighting to get the first surgeon.

Offline Chodel

• Silver Member
  • Défectuosité toujours
yeah, first one seems like a winner lol

although 7 months seems a rather long time to be wearing the c-vest.

Offline nearlythere

• Posting Member
Oh yer he i was told drains would be put in my chest fro 48 hours. After the initial consultation im 99% sure i want to go private.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024