Author Topic: Compression garment. How long to keep it on?  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
I seem to be reading many conflicting opinions about what time period you should wear your compression garment for. My PS has told me to wear it for 10 days, day and night, and then just wear it day OR night for a further week. Does this sound about right? I suppose these time scales can vary depending on the severity of each case and mine was fairly moderate. Incidentally, once I get to my 10 day point, I will be wearing the garment during the night but also wearing a Nike compression vest during the day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:13:38 AM by Blue2 »
Surgery: 18/03/08
Plastic surgeon: Alex Karidis

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
i was told to wear it constantly for 6 weeks. that being said, i wasnt bandaged up after leaving the hospital, i know some people are for a week or two. i think each plastic surgeon has their own idea about what is the correct way. Ive now been wearing nike compression shirts since leaving the hospital and so far i have had no problems (keeps fingers crossed)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:18:15 AM by barclay »

Offline lexuslexus

• Bronze Member
i was told, 4 weeks 24/7, then 3 weeks only at night.

tho i have gone for the prudent option of 7 weeks 24/7 then 1 weeks at night.
tonight will be the last time i will be wearing mine, then im free  :D

Offline Blue2

• Silver Member
Such a big difference of opinion on this subject. So much so that I decided to call Karidis's office and spoke to his nurse. She told me that keeping it on 24 hrs a day for 10 days was about right. Then, providing that the swelling has all gone, I could stop wearing it during the day and just wear it at night for another week or so. Apparently this is standard procedure for Karidis's patients. I am going to go with this advice as I am sure they know what they are doing and obviosuly they also know my exact case and severity of the op. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes in my diary thread.

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
    • Pre and post surgery photos
Dr. Benito said to wear it for a month. I have a appointment with him in 2 weeks (just over 3 weeks post op), and I'll ask him if I can take it off then. It is a right pain in the arse and I can't wait to be rid of it. Especially now the weather is getting warmer I just want to wear a tshirt
Surgery 2nd April with Dr. Benito.

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
When I first saw Dr Benito he told me 8 weeks and maybe more

At surgery he told me 4 weeks and then just before discharge he let slip he didn't feel they did much after 2 weeks.

I wore mine for 4 weeks and then left it off for a day and night.

The swelling increased so I wore it for a total of 8 weeks but towards the end only at night
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

irish lad

can i ask when all of ye wear the vest do your clothes still fit better? i mean does it look like your chest is flat or does it give of a gyne look?? i put it best i could lol :D

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
When I wear the vest, it does look better, but not as good as without it. If you wear a tighter tshirt people might see the clips through the tshirt, but you can still see an improvement even with it on.

irish lad

cheers jim i was kind of thinking the vest would give of a gyne look same as before.. the countdown is on for me i cant wait for the consultation hopefully il get a op date and move on with my life.. i dnt mind wearing a vest how long does benito recommend to keep it on?

irish lad

ye i know i could of put that a lot better what i meant was to actually get the op.. im well aware the recovery stage is the hardest part.. was that a compliment bkkross or did i read that wrong lol..just kiddin cheers

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
Irishlad, Benito seems to normally say somewhere between 4 or 8 weeks. It must depend on the person and surgery.

irish lad

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member

I wore mine for 4 weeks and then left it off for a day and night.

The swelling increased so I wore it for a total of 8 weeks but towards the end only at night

i did exactly the same last week (5 weeks post op) and had the same problem. i think im gonna pretty much wear mine til the swelling goes, or is very small

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024