Author Topic: how to tell my GP?  (Read 6308 times)

Offline notobvious

• Bronze Member
I finally booked an appointment with my GP for wednesday...the thing is, I'm really scared. I'm afraid i'm going to bottle it and not mention it(which I could get away with as there is another minor reason I am going). What do I say? What if it's cold or because i'm nervous my nipples somewhat resemble normal? arrgh. Any help please? :(

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
I told my GP years ago it took me two attempts before I mentioned it.

In the end he was very good about it and made me feel comfortable through his professionalism but ultimately he wasn't interested

Hope you have more luck mate
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
When I told my GP he was OK about it and told me he'd book an appointment with the consultant at a local hospital. Now I don't know if I have to accept that surgeon and hospital if I take the NHS route, I'd rather have a choice. But yeah, he didn't seem that much interested in it, which is OK, because if he made a big deal out of it, it would've made me more scared.

Just go and tell your GP, at least that's the first step. If he's no good, then change your GP.

Offline omgninja

• Posting Member
I was really nervous and thought i wouldn't tell him either, when i went to see him i knew hardly anything about gyne so i just wrote it down and told him i thought i had it and he agreed and sent me the a consultant.

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
    • Pre and post surgery photos
I saw my GP. She said she knew nothing about gyne, went on the computer and found out which tests to take and passed them onto a consultant. Although my BMI (body mass index) was 0.5 below the overweight point, it was too high to get surgery done on the NHS. This didn't take into account the fact that I am 6ft7 and pretty broad, rather than lanky. Still, the GP was great about it
Surgery 2nd April with Dr. Benito.

irish lad

my mother is pestering me to see my gp about the dangers of surgery as she is the only one who knows what im doing..but i dont feel comfterable talkin about my gyne to my gp as i feel he'l try to convince me not to get it thats if he even heard of it

Offline notobvious

• Bronze Member
still bricking it, but i'm not going to bottle it
my main concern is it'll be cold and the doc will think i'm delusional

Offline Bob_Atkins

• Posting Member
My GP is a she and about the same age as me so I do understand your reluctance to approach your GP...

Though after plucking up the courage to discuss the subject she has been an absolute star...very understanding from day one and worked tirelessly for over 2 years to try and get the work done on the NHS...

Hope this helps!:)

Offline notobvious

• Bronze Member
just got back from the doctors...I told her about it, and she was really really nice, obviously knew about it aswell. Felt almost surreal to be telling her - my only connection with this condition ever has been living with it and reading and posting on these boards, i doubt i've said the word gyne before. Anyway, she told me that treatment would be plastic surgery but for that on the NHS i'd need something called an extenuating circumstances form as if she just referred me they wouldn't operate because they'd say it's just cosmetic, and for that i'd need a psych evalutation(to show how it's ruining my life) beforehand to make sure it went as quickly as possible. Anyway looking good, so glad i've done it and really happy with the response.

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
notobvious, well done on approaching your GP, that's the first step. I felt better after telling my GP (who's a guy, by the way) and he immediately referred me to a consultant on the NHS, who i just saw. Alot of GP's know more about gynecomastia now than before because of the exposure it's getting (see Embarassing bodies tommorow 9pm on Channel 4 for a feature on gynecomastia). I just got back from the hospital after seeing the consultant. I was offered surgery on the NHS and for most people they'd be happy with that news, however I declined. Why? The consultant only does around 5 gyne ops a year, he said there will be scarring and they will not get rid of all and leave some in there (apparently to avaoid having the concave effect). By the way with the NHS you DON'T have choice of surgeon and hospital you have to accept your local hospital and whichever surgeon is assigned to you. Oh dear, looks like I may have to go private. :-\

Bob, I can understand it being harder if the GP is a she and around the same age, but you know if anyone found it hard to speak to their particular GP, there is usually a choice of a few GP's at a typical Doctor's surgery, so you can choose one of the others. It may be more or less embarassing especially if she asks to examine your testicles (though it's usually consultants that do this, sometimes the GP can ask to have a look). On a side note, I remember a mate of mine told us he had a genital problem and went to see his female GP. He said while being examined he got an erection within a matter of seconds, which was too embarassing for him to bear, but now he never wants to see that GP again because of the shame. Now while we might find it funny, it wasn't to him, that's why I always say we should choose GP's we are totally comfortable with, regardless of gender.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:50:39 AM by WXYZ »

GynO_DuDe

Took me three attempts to tell my GP ... best way to tell him is say look mate, I think I got gynecomastia ... He will instantly know what it is.

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
i went to see mine, as soon as i told him, he knew what it was and seemed very interested. he asked me questions about my life ie. is it ruining it, do i feel comfortable taking my top off, when was the last time i went swimming or does it stop me (kinda a phsyche evaluation on the spot) but he was very sympathetic all the time.

referred me, 6 months later i had it done. i didnt have to fill in any forms, jump through hoops or anything. my surgeon, although he doesnt do it on a daily basis, he had done plenty of cases and was great. he also said he would be leaving some gyne in to avoid problems with the nipple, which ive heard is normal?

anyway, all went well with me :) my gp even asked if he could see the results 6 weeks later when i went to see him about something completely unrelated.

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
barclay you said - although he doesnt do it on a daily basis, he had done plenty of cases and was great. he also said he would be leaving some gyne in to avoid problems with the nipple, which ive heard is normal?

What the hell, is that normal?  ??? My NHS surgeon said the same thing, but when I heard that I said no because I've heard that if they leave any gyne it could grow back. Is that normal to leave some in or not? Do the private surgeons also leave some in? I really need to know. My surgeon does 5 gyne ops a year, so I didn't think he's that experienced with gyne. Was it a good or bad idea to refuse the NHS op? Or did I do the right thing?

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
he explained to me that if he removed the whole gyne it could cause my nipple to die, he mentioned something about it being how it gets the blood supply (cant remember too well, its about 5 months since i saw him for the consultation) I was apprehensive, like yourself when he told me about leaving some in, but he seemed very knowledgable about it, and the nurses and other doectors on the ward told me he was very experienced in it and one of the nurses sons had actually had it done with him.
now nearly 2 months post op im very happy.
he said he would be leaving a small amount in. im sure ive read it else where in here, ill try and find it

edit : cant find it on here, but i havent spent that long looking. i have found searching with google that some surgeons will leave some behind, some wont. I was having a look on dr bermants site too and there was mention of only removing "some" of the gland, although i may have read into it wrong. But what i picked up is that sometimes its necessary to leave some to prevent the concave look if there is insufficient fat to build up the breast area if all the gland is removed.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:40:19 PM by barclay »

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
barclay, just saw your pics on your thread about your good NHS experience. I'm still in two minds on whether to take the NHS option or go private. :-\
Has your swelling gone down yet? My gyne is similar to yours but bigger and one-sided - the other side is completely gyne-free. I really need to know if all surgeons leave some in (or just NHS surgeons) because I've heard that can cause re-growth and you don't want that! Also my NHS surgeon said it would not match and look uneven. I want to know the method that private surgeons such as Karidis, Levick, Hamed where they appear to minimise any scarring and get rid of all the gyne and still manage to balance both sides out. ???

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024