Author Topic: VERY nervous about returning to work after OP!  (Read 2358 times)

Offline now-gone

• Posting Member
Hi,

On Saturday I had my op with Dr K.  It went very well.  Today I removed all the dressings for a shower and applied new waterproof plasters (oddly I was really worried about seeing myself in the mirror for the first time - not sure if anyone else felt this way at this stage?).  After putting on the vest and a t-shirt and looking in the mirror again I couldn't believe it, the transformation was vast!!!  I was sooo happy at first but this has now turned in to dread about going in to work tomorrow.  I feel that the change is that massive it will be easily recognisable by my piss taking work mates  :-[  To be honest I am dreading it.  However I have come up with a cover story if questioned about the sudden loss of breasts - 'a bad back'.  I am still walking around like a Darlek so it seems like a good cover - and I can point out that I wearing a support vest  ;).  So by my reckoning after a week or two people will forget all about it and I can begin to lead my new and normal life.

Do I sound mad OR is this just me stuck in my pre-op cover up ways, trying to assess and control every situation that might disclose the true horror of my chest??

Offline thetodd

god your mad returning to work, im guessing you have an office job ... i had 3 weeks off lol

people just say i look more "hench" no-ones even noticed my chest at all tbh and they used to comment on it before now and again. What youve got to realise is that its a massive problem to us but to others its a bit of a joke. No-ones going to mention it and if they do just say that youve been down the gym a bit. The less you think about it the less people will notice

dont hunch over, walk tall (as much as you can) just look confident as you can ;)
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline now-gone

• Posting Member
Thanks for the words of support!!!

I am currently sat at my desk and not a work from anyone - looks like I was being a little stupid last night.

My movement is a lot better today - a little sore getting out of bed but other than that no too bad.  Oh - putting socks and shoes on was hard too!!

Updates to follow.

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member
Glad it went well for you!! Bet it's awesome having a flat chest now  ;D

I'm a bit worried about what other people will think once I've got a flat chest myself, but I'm hoping it's like thetodd says and that no-one actually notices or cares about our moobs half as much as we think they do!
Had surgery with Dr. Karidis (London, UK) on 23rd July. Wearing tight t-shirts and looking forward to going swimming!

My experience so far & updates:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18200.msg126755#msg126755

Pictures:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18539.msg127741#msg127741

Offline now-gone

• Posting Member
I am sure you are right - no one at work said a thing.  The next hurdle is my close friends - I REALLY do not want anyone to know what I have gone through.  I am sure though it will be fine.

It feels so weird having a flat chest now - I have been sat here this evening watching the tennis thinking about what I can now do - swimming, wearing t-shirts, going on summer holidays, etc.  It is very exciting and at the same time quite daunting - all these new experiences to get used to and mannerisms to lose.

I had the op of Saturday afternoon and today I managed to go in to work with out to much fuss (office job).  The vest is uncomfortable and makes me walk around with a stiff looking back.  I did find the computer chair at work to be quite comfy - better than the sofa at home which I found a little hard to get up off.  Saying that though, tonight it feels like I have got a lot more movement back and I even managed to put the rubbish out!!

I have been eating bucket loads of pineapple - helps I love the stuff - no idea if it is actually helping but in my mind it is.  I also swapped and put the spare compression vest on tonight which feels a lot tighter than the first - I imagine that the first has stretched slightly.

I have not needed to take any pain killers for over 24 hours now - I am quite surprised how little pain I have had.  It has only really been discomfort and slight twinges.

My next big decision is whether or not I should drink this weekend - it will have been a week since the op so I see no harm.  Let me know if you have any opinions or know better - I would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Cheers!

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member
I had a quick look around and most websites just seem to advise the same thing: no alcohol 1 week prior or after surgery but after that it should be all fine and dandy!

Personally I think you'll be fine, but wait and see if others say anything. Only problem is that, apparently, "alcohol thins the blood, slows healing, and increases bruising."

I feel the same about family/close friends that don't know about my surgery. I'm hoping they don't notice that my chest is mirraculously flat!  ;D

I can't wait to be in the same shoes as you. I'm already planning awesome holidays / going swimming / going biking in just a t-shirt!! Can't bloody wait!

Offline thetodd

youl be fine drinking a week after, just dont binge

i was up town 2 weeks after surgery proper twisted, didnt have any bad experiences at all!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024