Author Topic: Help Please. Ontario Resident, what the first step?  (Read 4144 times)

Offline FatLuke_Nofx

• Posting Member
Hi Im from Burlington Ontario. Im 25 and have had gyno ever since highschool. I want to get rid of this so bad. Now from my understanding OHIP will cover the gland removal, and I would have to pay for the lipo. This is fine. I've also chosen Dr Fielding as an ideal surgeon for the process.

Now my question is how do I get this ball rolling, Ive been battling so long to build up the confedence to get this far, if someone could just fill in the blanks, give me phone numbers and explain the whole process, espically the OHIP coverage, man that would be great!

Please help, you all know the pain.

Offline Rav86

• Posting Member
First of all, congrats on deciding to do something about it! I had surgery with Dr. Fielding on July 27th and I'm almost 3 weeks post-op right now...I couldn't be happier.

The steps you need to take are as follows:

-- Make an appointment to get assessed by Dr. Fielding. You can do this one of two ways; either contact your own family doctor and have them set it up for you/give you a referral, or contact Dr. Fielding's office directly. I went through my own family doctor so that she would be aware I'm having it done. I think that as long as you have an Ontario health card then you're covered by OHIP for the pre-op appointment, so it's not necessary to see your family doctor first, but I would call Dr. Fielding's office just to make sure. Dr. Fielding's office number is 1-416-766-8890. I'll put his contact info again at the bottom of this post along with his address.

-- Write down a list of questions and concerns you have about the surgery and try to learn everything you can in the meantime about it before going into the pre-op appointment. When you go to see him, he will discuss with you how the surgery is performed and go over the details and risks etc... You can always call back and ask if you have questions after this appointment, but it's better to ask face to face, in my opinion. During your appointment, he will quote a price for your operation that will be somewhere around $2,000 - a small price to pay if you ask me. You will then speak with his secretary before leaving and set up a date for the surgery. Don't be alarmed if it's more than a month or even two months away. It depends entirely upon how busy he is.

-- Start making arrangements for your trip to Toronto!

Now to go over a few things.

OHIP covers any Ontario resident for the gland excision. It doesn't matter what age you are, as long as you live in Ontario - so yes you will be covered. The price you're paying is for the liposuction only, which is not covered by OHIP due to the nature of the procedure. That is to say, the liposuction is considered "aesthetic" and not a medical requirement.

You can pay the fees any time, as long as you pay them at least 5 days before the surgery.

Due to the fact that you don't live in Toronto, they will ask you to stay overnight in the hospital after your surgery. This is pretty standard, and they take very, very good care of you while you're there. The procedure is performed at St. Joseph's Health Centre - the best hospital in Toronto - and this is also where you will be staying overnight.

If you have any other questions, go ahead and post them. I'll check back over the next couple days.

Dr. Fielding
Phone: 1-416-766-8890
Address: 2425 Bloor st. West
Suite: 401

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
In addition... when you make 'The Call' for a consultation, you have to tell them that you want to see JCF regarding 'Gynecomastia'... If you don't tell Leslie that it's for Gynecomastia, then they'll request a referral from your GP...  ;)

GB...
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline FatLuke_Nofx

• Posting Member
Hey thanks for the reply! I called this morning and spoke to the secretary and all was going well until she asked for my health card, which I lost about 2 weeks ago... lol. She was completely understanding and told me how to get the paper form for a new one so they can help me out right away, and not have to wait for the card in the mail.

This site, and you're help has really helped lift my confidence to make the first step, I tell as soon as I decided to dial that number, it was like such a burden was taken off my shoulders.

However, she said OHIP will only cover if I meet the criteria..?? I have puffy nipples, a hard disc feeling thing behind it, they hurt when hit (which is a lot, I work construction and am constantly grabing and holding things on my chest) and they are very noticeable in any shirt, even sweaters too. I'd hate to get my hopes up only to find out I dont meet the criteria... I can afford 2000, but not the 6500 it would cost without OHIP.

Here are some pics, tell me if you think I meet criteria:

Offline Rav86

• Posting Member
Yeah, you'll definitely be covered. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Good luck!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

However, she said OHIP will only cover if I meet the criteria...

Hmmm... I'd like to know what the criteria is. Could you find out and let us know... Thanks my man!  ;)

When I went to JCF in Feb. '05, they never said anything about meeting certain criteria...

As long as you are registered with OHIP you're covered.

Dude, just get a replacement Health Card and you'll be on your way!  ;)

GB...

Offline FatLuke_Nofx

• Posting Member
Thanks guys... Ill probably be gettin my health card papers this thursday, and booking my consultation later that day, I will let you all know the process and any info.

Again, thanks for the help, the info and most importantly the confidence to do all this.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

You're welcome dude!  ;)

Waiting for you on the 'Other Side'...

GB...

Offline FatLuke_Nofx

• Posting Member
I just booked my consultation today with Dr. Feilding. Friday Sept. 11... LOL.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Congrats dude...  ;)

You're on your way to the 'Other Side'.... 

GB...

Offline FatLuke_Nofx

• Posting Member
Been a while, thought Id give you guys an update.

Consultation went very well and my surgery is booked for Nov. 20 I belive. Man, it was just that easy. I called, I went, now I just wait a bit. Simple

Just want to say thanks to everyone here, great source for support and info, espically GB- I notice you are the main man at least on the Canadian portion of this site, very supportive, informative and helpful.

Thanks guys, Ill get back to you after surgery!!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

That's awesome news dude!  ;)

Thanks for the update...

GB...

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
Consultation went very well and my surgery is booked for Nov. 20 I belive. Man, it was just that easy. I called, I went, now I just wait a bit. Simple

I know what you mean when you say it was just that easy! I too had the condition for years. I thought about it constantly. Then one day, bang, booked a consultation. Then bang, surgery was booked 3 months down the road. I'm now 2 weeks post-op.

You'll be in good hands with Fielding. He knows what he's doing. In fact, I actually cancelled my procedure with a different doctor in Alberta, and then booked a consultation with Fielding. I felt comfortable and safe in his hands. The previous doctor left me feeling unsure about everything: in the time between the consultation and the surgery (which I eventually backed out of), I always had doubts. I'm glad I made the choice that I did.

Look forward to hearing how your op goes. Make sure you carefully follow the rules on the preparations sheet. Best of luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024