Author Topic: Need More Info!!  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Ashtangi

Hey everybody, I'm 17, new member.
I've been browsing around the forums for about a month or so.  I didn't know until recently what gynemastia was, all I knew was that I had breast since I was 13 and wanted to get rid of them.  I heard on the this site that it is a good idea to see an endocronologist (sp?), I have no idea what an endocronologist is or how I would make an appointment with one, can someone tell me where they went.  After that I will hopefully get a consultation with Dr. Feilding, I heard he was good on some other post.  But I was just wondering about some other things I heard on the site, for example, I do not know what the different kinds of gyne are, like fat or glands and how do you know which kind you have, will an endocronologist or Dr. Feilding tell me which kind I have?  Also what are the different kind of surgeries that get rid of gyne and which is the most effective.  Do you guys think that my plan to wait and see and endocronologist first before making a consultation with Dr. Feilding is a good idea, I want to get rid of the condition asap!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Ashtangi...

Welcome to the boards Dude!

The correct spelling is: Endocrinologist

An Endocrinologist will do tests on you to see if there is an under lying cause for your Gynecomastia. To find an Endo in your area click on the link.

Endocrinologists

All you have to do is call your local Endo's office and make an appointment.

I bypassed the Endo and went straight to Doc Fielding.
Yes, JCF is an awesome PS. He is about the best there is in Canada for Gynecomastic reduction/removal. He will answer all the questions you have about Gyne.

Personally, I think Gyne is Gyne. There are just varying levels of severity. Mine was moderate to severe.

The two most common techniques used today to remove Gyne is a semi-circular incision at the base of the areola to remove the gland. You can have gland removal only, or Liposuction only, or both. Unless your body fat percentage is very low, I would recommend both excision and Lipo. The other technique is to make incisions in the armpits and use PAL (Power Assisted Liposuction). Dr. Lista in Mississauga, Ontario performs PAL.

You'll get many differing opinions on whether you should see an Endo prior to seeing a PS. Gyne quite often goes away after puberty. You must be at the end of your pubescent stage and there may be a chance that your Gyne will go away on its own. However, if it bothers you, IMO, get it taken care of now! Why wait what, one, two, maybe 3 years in misery in hopes for it to go away and then you find out that it wasn't going anywhere soon. Don't waste anymore of your life being depressed and paranoid. Call JCF and get fixed.

J. Criag Fielding, M.D., F.R.C.S. (C)
Plastic And Reconstructive Surgery

2425 Bloor Steet West
Suite #401
Toronto, Ontario M6S 4W4

Telephone: 416.766.8890

Sorry, JCF doesn't have a Web or Email addy.

Good luck Dude!

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Ashtangi

Thanks you for the info!  I just had another question, money is a HUGE problem for my family, and as of yesterday it just got worse.  So my mother made it clear that she can not pay for surgury, so I was just wondering what if anything can be paid for by OHIP or insurrance, and how much should I expect to pay altogether (the sugury and the tests at the endocrinologist).  I'd say that my case may be medium to severe.  

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Ashtangi....

OHIP pays for all except Liposuction. JCF's going rate for Lipo is $1600 and is steadily increasing :o.

I'm not sure if an Endo vist is covered under OHIP. You would have to make some phone calls on that one.

If money is a BIG factor, you could have gland removal only and OHIP would cover the entire proceedure. However, you say that you are moderate to severe ( post some pics Dude! ), I would suggest that you find the coin somehow and get Lipo as well as having the gland removed. Trust me, you need both to achieve best post-op results.

Here's what you should do.... Pass on the Endocrinologist. Go see JCF ( Consultation is free! ), find out what he is gonna charge you for Lipo and somehow come up with the coin. Talk to your Mom about taking out a small personal loan to cover the Lipo. Don't know what else to tell ya Dude.....

Just a bit of advice.... if you are gonna do it with JCF, do it soon! Me thinks his Lipo fee is gonna sky rocket!

John out....

Offline KingCobra

• Bronze Member
  • La La La La Sing a Happy Song!
Bambu he mentioned that he is 17.  Isn't it free OHIP coverage if you are under the age of 18?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Bambu he mentioned that he is 17.  Isn't it free OHIP coverage if you are under the age of 18?

Cobra....

I don't understand what you mean there Dude. Anything that is 'covered' under OHIP, OHIP will pay for regardless of age.

John.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 01:14:20 PM by Bambu »

Offline KingCobra

• Bronze Member
  • La La La La Sing a Happy Song!
     My bad Bambu, what I meant to ask was whether OHIP will pay for the excision and liposuction since he is under the age of 18.  

Offline Ashtangi

That would be great if it was all covered!  But I doubt that, hopefully I might get some kind of student discount or something, cause I really want this surgery and really can't afford anything over 1000 bucks.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

My bad Bambu, what I meant to ask was whether OHIP will pay for the excision and liposuction since he is under the age of 18.  

I agree with Ashtangi.... I highly doubt it. Lipo is considered a 'cosmetic' proceedure and insurance companies will not pay out for cosmetic surgery regardless of age. No if's, and's or but's...

John out....
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 05:05:00 PM by Bambu »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024