Author Topic: does removal of glandular tissue = reduction of puffy nipples?  (Read 3111 times)

sandokan

Hello everyone.
In your practices do you find that in general removal of glandular tissue (particularly in lean patients) resolves puffy nipples issues.
I have gynecomastia (which im getting removed) the glandular tissue does  not bother me b/c i dont see it (but i can feel it behind my nipple).. What bothers me is my puffy nipples (problem is worse in warm weather)
Im hoping removal of the glandular tissue will resolve this.

Thank you for your input.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Yes, if you're a pretty lean guy and your problem is limited to puffy nipples, then removal of solid breast tissue from behind the nipple/areola complex should solve the problem.  It's the solid gland tissue that pushes against the nipple/areolar skin, thereby causing a puffy appearance.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
A "puffy nipple" is a rounded or dome-like configuration of the areola.  It is produced by solid tissue immediately below the areola and usually will require a peri-areolar (or other) incision to remove it. It is present 100% of the time.

You must, however, differentiate that from the normal minute to minute changes in an areola.  Even for a guy whose chest is absolutely perfect, the areola changes due to temperature, emotion, etc.  That is due to tiny muscle fibers within the skin of the areola.  When exposed to cold, physical stimulation, or heightened emotion, those muscle fibers tighten up and in essence make the areola a bit smaller in diameter and flatter.  They account for the tiny wrinkles in the areola.

When a guy is relaxed, in a warm environment, etc, those muscles relax and the areolar skin becomes smooth and the areola may enlarge or even protrude slightly.  Sometimes this may resemble a "puffy" nipple.  However, these changes are a normal physiologic process and there is no surgery or other treatment for it.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024