Author Topic: Travell from Northwest ( don't be put off ) for op with Karidis on 8th november  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Mickydubs

• Bronze Member
Hi all, just thought I would post this thread for those people who may be considering travelling down to London for possible surgery with Dr. Karidis but might be put off by the distance, Don't be !!!!!!!!!!

I had my surgery on 8th November and these were my travel details.

1st of all I had a consultation on the 28th of Sept and travelled down on a megabus, Preston to London £14.00 return approx 6hrs each way,all booked on line, cheap as chips but you gets what you pays for, wouldn't recomend, certainly not for surgery anyway.

Once your happy to book an op, get list of available surgery dates and the times nothing before 10am to check into your room or you will struggle to make it,
( this is presuming you want to travel and complete op on same day without hotel stay. )
Look online for good Virgin train times and cost, match this to your operation availability, try for a first class, its not snobbery but very worth it !!!
I paid £130 for a return ticket, which was something like £30 more than the standard ticket.
I Got the virgin train down to london which left at 5.20am arrived at Euston at 8am, my hospital check in was at 10.30 so had 2hrs to kill, this is were the 1st class bit is a must because euston has the 1st class lounge for you to use, sky tv, comfy lounge seats, free food and drink even though you won't be alowd any pre op,the time flew.
Left lounge at 9.45 and got tube ( ticket again booked on line for a few pound and collected beforehand from station to save time on op day )
Took the Victoria line towards Brixton, and got off at Green Park Station
Then took the Jubilee line towards Stanmore getting off at St Johns Wood
You can nearly see the hospital from were you leave the underground, 3-4mins stroll.
You could get a taxi from Euston to the hospital but I found the tube easy to navigate travelling by myself and new it would only take 20mins at a very good price.
Got to Hospital at 10.05 and checked in and taken to room
Had Gyne surgery etc and all ready to leave at 6.30pm.
Got tubes reverse of above back to Euston Station and into the Virgin lounge 7pm.
Found a comfy lounge seat and foot stool to leave my bag and caught in front of the sky tv and filled my self up on snacks juice and lattes.
Grabbed some of the variuos newspapers and magazines and the time flew.
(Forgot to mention looked at the packed station and no seats when I left the lounge and new for the extra ticket cost of £30 to go 1st class it was more than worth it, especially after having an op )
Soon it was 8.50pm and time to stroll the 5min walk to the train, this was on time and left at 9.10pm.
Again had plenty of fluid on the train giving the alcohol a miss but had a nice lamb sandwich, again got head into some reading material and also thought how well the day had planned out.
Touched back at Preston station at 11.35pm grabbed a taxi and home for midnight,
should have been a very tiring long day and probably was but just did't feel like it ( how much of this was down to the medication or relief the op was done or the added travelcomfort I can't be 100% sure !!! )
Hope this is of help to someone else, any additional help i can give answers to questions etc i will do my best.    

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:34:30 AM by Mickydubs »

Offline badger

• Posting Member
Having my operation later this month so it's good to hear that travelling so far is doable.

My op is at 8am so I'm travelling from Liverpool to London the night before. Got a single on a Virgin train to Euston for £17 arriving late on the 28th. Staying the night in a hostel nearish to the hospital for £9. Got a single back to Liverpool for £5 on a Virgin train from Megabus.

Taxi from Euston to the hospital for my consultation was an extortionate £10 with the most unfriendly taxi driver I've ever met. Glad I don't live in London!

Offline Mickydubs

• Bronze Member
Good luck mate,
think the main thing I wanted out of the travel mainly after the op was reserved comfy seat, not squashed up next to people with bags of shopping, kids etc, just comfort and drinks on tap etc if you wanted them, as in my post the lounge worked out great for me because I didn't want to leave it tight for time, would sooner be early for the op and also early for return train than dashing.
As with most things you seem to get what you pay for, but must admit you have got bargain priced tickets.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024