Author Topic: "Scarless" Surgery with Dr. Martin Jugenburg in Toronto  (Read 3258 times)

Offline torontopatient

• Posting Member
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my overall experience with gynecomastia, particularly my decision to have surgery done by Dr. Martin Jugenburg, a well-known plastic surgeon in Toronto but with perhaps less of a reputation for gynecomastia surgery than Dr. Fielding or Dr. Lista.

I'm almost 26 now and started noticing growth under my nipples about 2.5 years ago. I've always been slender and in good shape as I work out regularly, but gradually during this time my nipples became extremely puffy. This made my chest appear extremely odd as I had a large upper body and defined chest with essentially a small breast hanging off of each side.

I went through a full year of medical due diligence, went to my GP, a liver doctor, kidney doctor, and endocrinologist with all tests coming back normal. Cleared of any underlying health concerns, I had consultations with Dr. Lista, Dr. Walter Peters, and Dr. Jugenburg. I was adamant about the newer, scarless technique without an incision around the areola and believe that the extra $2-3K is worth better results that last a lifetime.

My general comments:
Dr. Lista - He's obviously the most reputable in his field but charged the highest price and frankly in my consultation he seemed rushed and impatient. I've heard lots of great things about him but in my case I was not left with a sense of comfort or care.

Dr. Peters - Great guy, highly qualified and the lowest cost of all 3 ($3,900). His clinic is not fancy like the others and you get the sense that he's no non-sense and it's about the results and not the amenities. With that said, he seemed the least confident in being able to use the scarless approach in my case, and suggested 2 additional liposuction incisions on the front of my chest (along with one under each armpit) to hopefully avoid the incision around my areola. My advice is GO SEE HIM because he might be the best option in other cases.

Dr. Jugenburg - Great clinic, wonderful staff, and he is a stand-up guy also. To be honest he also seemed a bit rushed and busy, but you can tell he is a good man who cares. And his staff really won me over. His cost was in between the other two, and he used to work under Dr. Lista for 3 years and uses a slightly modified but equally effective technique. His reputation within the field of plastic surgery is exemplary, and although he is lesser known in gynecomastia treatment, I was confident in his ability and left feeling very comfortable.

I had the surgery 5 days ago on January 15 and the results look extremely promising so far. The recovery was a breeze, a bit of soreness still but never needed pain killers and was back to my normal self (except for restricted movements) later that night.

I must stress the patience required post-op, and that results will not become apparent for several months. Also, the results will never be perfect. Those who suffer from this condition are overly critical about their chests, and it is unrealistic to think that a procedure will result in perfection. A vast improvement is all you can ask for, and under this set of expectations, I am extremely satisfied with Dr. Jugenburg. Swelling has yet to subside fully and I am nervous about scar tissue formation in the coming weeks (can anyone comment on their experience with this?), but until then I have zero complaints.

The last thing I want to say is I've been on this site a lot and there is a sense of hopelessness among many members here. DO NOT let this condition control your self-esteem and ability to live life. I had this procedure done because I was uncomfortable with it, but to be quite honest gynecomastia has never affected my life outside of my own feelings. People don't see the problem the way we do, and my sex life never took a hit when I started having this condition. I've seen threads about sex and being with women etc., and they SIMPLY DON'T CARE. The right girls may notice it, but it will simply be deemed an imperfection and not a dealbreaker - it is not the massive problem we all see it as. In my experience, an oddly shaped chest isn't even a consideration the same way we would never deny a great woman because of one physical imperfection. Success with women is about confidence and holding your head up high regardless of gynecomastia.

With that said, I look forward to a life without it and if anyone has any questions about my experience please comment. I will continue to visit this site even after I am healed because I want everyone here to overcome this problem and I will help if I can.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:43:56 PM by torontopatient »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024