Author Topic: Gland removal or just gyno removal  (Read 2260 times)

Offline ChestBrahObv

Hi All,
So I am weighing up the pros and cons between removing the whole gland or just the gyno.
I work out 5x a week and may consider competing in the future, thus I want no gyno at all or a chance of it returning. 
I have had gynecomastia since I was 14ish and i'm now 23, so no problem on that ground.
If wanted the entire gland removed, what do I have to look for etc. I'm very scared about craters etc that would be worst case scenario, if I developed craters can this be revised?

Thanks

J

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Hello and welcome to the forum!

You would serve yourself well by seeking the opinion of a gyne expert in your ares -- or consider traveling for such expertise.  The best defense against a possible post op crater deformity is not to get one in the first place.  And your best insurance would be to go to an expert who is aware of possible crater deformities and who will take steps -- during surgery -- to minimize that possibility.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Agree with Dr. Jacobs. Your understanding of the condition and the process of removal would greatly benefit from an evaluation and explanation by a qualified gynecomastia surgeon.  Many of the "recurrences" we operate on result from removal of part of the gynecomastia, leaving much or most behind. A surgeon who is adept at this procedure will remove all of the gynecomastia and accomplish this with low risk of a crater or other deformity.  
Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I'm not really sure what yo men by gyno or just the gland. Gynecomastia is abnormal male breast enlargement. It can be caused by too much gland, too much fat (pseudogynecomastia) or a combination of both (the most common scenario). I would recommend seeing a surgeon who will make your chest look good regardless of what it takes to get you there. Isn't that what you really want? Go get a live consultation and let the surgeon help you to understand what you have going on and how best to fix. Sounds like you are a great "candidate" nd should do well. Good luck.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024