Author Topic: Thoughts on starting bras  (Read 4900 times)

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
I'm fully expecting the doctor to tell me tomorrow that I should wear a bra. I'm ready for that, but my wife is hesitant.  The doc should convince her, so I've started thinking about it.  Had an on-line consult with herroom.com - got a recommendation on some sports bras and minimizers: 
Glamorise No  Bounce cami sports bra
Glamorise seamless soft-cup sports bra
Champion Spot Comfort molded cup sports bra
Anita Active maximum support sports bra
Lilyette Endless Smooth cup minimizer
Olga cloud 9 underwire minimizer
Vanity Fair full figure minimizer

Any opinions on these bras? Is there one better than another? Is it more personal fit? Are there other brands / models which you prefer for sports or minimizer? Do you find a minimizer useful? Or is it uncomfortable? How about evening and sleep and around the house - does anyone wear a leisure bra for less constraining support?

At this stage, I have a lot more questions than answers, so help would be appreciated.

Lister

A professional fitting is best (provided you don't basically get dismissed out of hand like I did) have you checked out the calculator at Reddit.com/r/abrathatfits ?

Offline CrewdsX

• Posting Member
Natori Feathers is what I wear and it feels really good! You should give it a try! But first you need a bra fitting to know your size.

Lister

I've started with light sports bras as I'm in process of losing weight and that's changing my band size, when my band has stabilized I'll be shopping for more standard bras.. and will probably try and seek a proper fitting again... Though at a different place.  ><

aboywithgirls

Definitely get a professional fitting. You will want a few everyday bras. These will be something that you will be wearing every day  for 12-18 hours a day. So you will want them to be comfortable. I wear sports bras for workouts and I also wear a leisure/ sleep bra to bed.

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
A fitting is really important unless you want to buy a lot of bras that you may never wear again-keep in mind, even on sale they aren't cheap these days for a larger size bra.
Once you get a proper fitting, you will have narrowed down to several bras that should fit well and be comfortable, from there you can reach out to other brands if you choose.
From the list you provided, once you know your band and cup range,  I would recommend the Glamorise brand as they are very comfortable for me and do offer great support.

Lister

I've been using Amazon prime since I already have it, 2 day shipping and the returns work super easy.   Of course a fitting is best, but for online shopping that's about as good as it can get-

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
Has anyone had any experience with herroom.com?

Blousbunnys

As many have already stated a fitting done by a professional is best. Second best go to you tube and look up bra fitting 101.
As far as what bras I prefer.
Leading lady t-shirt bras both underwire and wireless.
Glamorise sports bras that fit like a regular bra. Both band and cup sizes. Example mine are 46D. 
I like the leading lady bras because of the lite padding that hides nipple protrusion. 
I tike the Glamorise sports bra because it really controls bounce during strenuous activity. 
I hope this helps. 

aboywithgirls

Because men's chests tend to be Broder. Certain brands do cater to this. When you go for your fitting, ask about Fantasie bras. I love them. All of their bras in mu size ,just all seem to fit. This is a pic of me in a Fantasie Lois in a  36G .

Offline dbweb

• Bronze Member
All very important issues to be concerned with.  The point, it isn't about band size or even cup size, but how the fit of the bra works for you.
I have found that certain brands do a lot better for me, similar to what ABWG has expressed.   When you find a bra that fits you and is comfortable enough to wear all day long, you are there!

aboywithgirls

Absolutely! And... even when you find a bra that fits, you're only half way there. Shape is just as important. Any bra you wear, will shape your breasts at least to some degree. Find a bra or bras that give you a shape you like. I used to be in molded cup bras exclusively. Now, I prefer unlined underwire bras. When you go for your fitting, bring a few different style shirts with you to see how it looks all together. 

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
Started the day taking daughter to downtown Houston for school, then had to run errands and car shop (my old one drowned in Harvey).  Among the errands was a stop at a lingerie shop in downtown Houston. I'm getting braver - I walked in, looked around a bit, ignored the two younger women, walked up to the counter, and told them I had gyneomastia and doctor recommended support.  Gal who did the fitting was very good - she guessed the band size spot-on, then had an idea about cup sizes.  The first one was a bit big - puckering some. But the band fit well.

Despite the fact that there is a 6 1/2 inch differene between band and over-breast measurements, all the on-line experts would or have said that I'm a DD cup. Not true.  They are more conical, less fatty and round, so they aren't DDs.  

So now I know my cup size and while the shop didn't have much in the 'right' size, the gal gave me a list of recommendations from herroom.com, even noting how the different brands fit.

Then as I drove past a sports goods shop, I swung in on a whim and bought a sports bra. It has built-in liners/protective padding that's removable.  Fits nicely - and if I wanted to look bigger, I could put in the pads - and my small-breasted Asian daughter would be even more envious.

All in all, a good day, despite the fact that I got home 15 1/2 hours after I left this morning.

Offline CrewdsX

• Posting Member
Started the day taking daughter to downtown Houston for school, then had to run errands and car shop (my old one drowned in Harvey).  Among the errands was a stop at a lingerie shop in downtown Houston. I'm getting braver - I walked in, looked around a bit, ignored the two younger women, walked up to the counter, and told them I had gyneomastia and doctor recommended support.  Gal who did the fitting was very good - she guessed the band size spot-on, then had an idea about cup sizes.  The first one was a bit big - puckering some. But the band fit well.

Despite the fact that there is a 6 1/2 inch differene between band and over-breast measurements, all the on-line experts would or have said that I'm a DD cup. Not true.  They are more conical, less fatty and round, so they aren't DDs.  

So now I know my cup size and while the shop didn't have much in the 'right' size, the gal gave me a list of recommendations from herroom.com, even noting how the different brands fit.

Then as I drove past a sports goods shop, I swung in on a whim and bought a sports bra. It has built-in liners/protective padding that's removable.  Fits nicely - and if I wanted to look bigger, I could put in the pads - and my small-breasted Asian daughter would be even more envious.

All in all, a good day, despite the fact that I got home 15 1/2 hours after I left this morning.

Glad you found a bra that you can wear. How's the comfort tho?

Offline dr.moe

• Bronze Member
Then as I drove past a sports goods shop, I swung in on a whim and bought a sports bra. It has built-in liners/protective padding that's removable.  Fits nicely - and if I wanted to look bigger, I could put in the pads - and my small-breasted Asian daughter would be even more envious.

Glad you found a bra that you can wear. How's the comfort tho?

So far, it's pretty comfortable - a bit confining, but supportive enough for my level of activities.  So far, it's controlled the annoying bounce from walking up and down stairs. I suspect that a regular bra would feel less restrictive - like the bras I tried on at the fitting yesterday, but that's an experiment for another day.  May need a conversation with my wife about why I want more than one style of bra.  I can always point to her lingerie drawer....

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024