Author Topic: First step.......done. (Now with Pics!!!)  (Read 7911 times)

Offline Hate_It_37

• Posting Member
    • My Photos Here
Just got back from seing my GP about half an hour ago.....

Hi all, just a quick intro from me. I've been reading these boards for some time under another screen name that would suggest I am 34, I had to change that.

Uk bloke, 37 years old, single (sounds like a dating site), was very over wieght, just lost about 2 1/2 stones, probably 2 to go.
The first 3 or 4 years of living with this was not so bad, I thought I just had to lose weight and lift some iron. Big mistake, I now have decent pecs underneath my hooters. The last 16 or so years have seen me resorting to all the usual tricks, that we are all far too familiar with so I won't cover those. I'm a very big guy, 6'5", but my confidence is at rock bottom.

Because of another medical reason to visit my GP which would require the dreaded shirt off situation, I finally bit the bullet and did it.
I felt quite sick when I arranged the appointment this morning, and as the day went on I felt worse. Then to my horror I was given a female GP.
No need to worry, she was totally fine, she made me feel very much at ease which was a relief.
Basically she agrees that I have a pretty bad case of Gyne and has referred me to the NHS surgeon. She then said that there is a chance that the surgeon may not even see me. WTF?
Is it common to not even get to see the surgeon?
How long can I expect to wait for a response from the NHS? Days, weeks or months?
I really can't afford to go private right now or in the foreseeable future.

I'm not looking to be a perfect specimin of masculinity, I just want to get rid of these, then lose the rest of the weight. I'm in the nasty position of needing to leave some of the chub on so that the boobs "blend" in a bit better. I think for the sake of my health I need to lose the rest of my extra baggage.

Great site that seems to give many guys like us the hope and confidence to make the first step.

Power to you all.

J.

EDIT: 15/09/06 Pics now added, click on link in my signiture.... Any Views Please.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:56:09 AM by Hate_It »
How much money could I have saved on washing powder in 20 years if I only wore one shirt at a time? Probably could've paid for surgery lol.
See my pics here --> http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hate_it_37/my_photos <--See my pics here

Offline irish_dude

• Silver Member
  • Op performed with Mr.Levick, 19/8/2005
Great site that seems to give many guys like us the hope and confidence to make the first step.

Well done mate, the first step is the hardest.

People have reported a mixed-bag of experiences here regarding the NHS route.

However it's well worth it if you can get the money together to go private.

Offline Hate_It_37

• Posting Member
    • My Photos Here
Cheers Irish_Dude, thanks for the reply.

I would love to be in the position to go private here in the UK, but circumstances really don't allow that right now. Even the much more financially attractive proposition of going on (what seems to be, lol) a jolly to Poland is out of the question.

As I stated before, I'm not trying to get a perfectly chiselled shape, I just want to be normal. I will post some pics real soon so fellow sufferers will see that ANY improvement for my case will be great. So the "less cosmetically accurate" results that some (repeat, some) NHS patients have spoken of on here would be more than a blessing for me.

The only thing that really bothers me about the NHS route is the red tape and delays that seem to be common. Though I guess that 1 or 2 more years on top of 20 I can live with if I really have to, I'm just keen to know that the ball is rolling.

My GP doesn't even know if the NHS surggeon will treat me. I'm hoping that when users see my pics they will be able to advise if I'm an NHS candidate or not.

Does anybody know how long the initial consultation process can take?

Cheers in advance.

J.

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
hi matey
i went the NHS route at 1st
i plucked up courage to confront my GP with my problem.
He took me deadly serious and got me an appointment with a consultant.
On the day i went to the hospital to see the young consultant i had my gonads checked in front of an elderly nurse that was very very embarrassing.
Then i had a needle stuck in my boob and had some samples removed from my breast tissue.
I was then told that i will get a date through for the operation within 6 weeks.
I left thye hospital a embarrassed happy chappy.
A few weeks passed and i had a letter through to go back to see the original consultant that this young unexpierienced junior consultant had sat in for.
He ordered i have a breast scan.
And he then said that there is a bit of fatty tissue and gland and itys nothing to worry about.
I said they hurt when i run and to my shock horror and embarrassment he said "wear a bra"
i then used a choice few words and said "im going to poland!"  
So im now booked in for 24th october :) in poland
good luck with your nhs route but id rather cut my breasts off with a knife than risk going through the MRSA infected stinking flea pits that the NHS have to offer.

sorry but if youd been through the mill like i have youd feel the same way too.

and ive never stopped paying my taxes and national insurance since the day i left school 21 years ago.

makes me sick
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

Offline Hate_It_37

• Posting Member
    • My Photos Here
Hi there fedup, thanks for the reply (is it ok to call you fedup, or is it the more formal Mr ofhavingtits_24Oct? :) )

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience going down the NHS route, it's the last thing you need after finding the courage to confront this problem. I wish you well for your trip to Poland, you must be excited. A pretty good time of year for the operation I guess, cool nights to wear compression vest and plenty of recovery time for next summer's beach/t shirt/ swimming/ etc.

Am I being positive, optimistic or just stupid to think that I might actually get a good deal out of my NHS journey? There must be some guys out there that have had a good treatment, and operation result. If there are can you please put my mind at ease.

Cheers.

J.

Offline Hate_It_37

• Posting Member
    • My Photos Here
Update:

Yesterday (Sat 23rd Sep) I recieved my letter from Gwent Healthcare Trust telling me that they are arranging an appointment with a surgeon (General Surgeon).

I have been told that the current waiting time is 2-3 months. I have been given the name of my Surgeon which is encouraging. I will see if I can find him on Tinterweb later.

I'm still enthusiastic about going down the NHS route, only time will tell I guess.

I will keep this updated as I have more news.

J.

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Some questions to ask your surgeon:

What is his typical caseload made up as, as a general surgeon compared to a plastic surgeon?

How many male chest reduction (MCR)  procedures does he typically do per year on average? (I'd be concerned if it was less than ten).

What is his or her preferred procedure for MCR and whey does he or she use this method?

Does the surgeon usually aim to remove fat and or breast tissue?  If removing breast tissue, does he intend to 'sculpt' it into shape or remove as much as possible?

What is the usual procedure if it could be judged that a few months after surgery, more tissue could or should be removed?

And remember, if you are not happy with the consultation, go back to your GP and ask to be referred to a different surgeon.  You are under no obligation to use the surgeon that you are initially presented to.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 04:42:53 AM by phantom »

GynO_DuDe

Mate, im 19 ... and this site gave me the bollox to go visit my GP ... so glad I did, my GP's a top bloke, said it's defo over grown tissue their so you WILL need surgery regardless off losing all the weight in the world ... so ive been recommended to a breast surgeon through the NHS who's indian and i'll be seeing him in a months time ...

I cant believe the surgeon told you to 'wear a bra' ... what a f*ck!n p!ss take ...

I hope my experience is good ... It should be though ... I dont like thinking badly ... I mean im a strong/healthy guy, if I lose a stone i'll be my ideal weight for my height and build as well which I will aim to do before my op ...

Any way, good luck to you as well ... Keep us posted! im also keepin everyone posted with my experience on the NHS.

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
seems like the idiot i went to see hadnt done any at all.
seems he just wanted to look at womens boobs  ???
well in 3 weeks time from now ill be on an aeroplane and on my journey to get these horrible lumps removed for good.
after working out the petrol and time off work i ghad to go the nhs route i realised im well on my way to paying for poland surgery.
Good Luck XX

fedup is fine i dont mind being called that
because soon ill be called "nomoobsandhealing"

Offline Hate_It_37

• Posting Member
    • My Photos Here
Hi guys,

Got a letter today telling me to ring and arrange my appointment with the surgeon, did so and am booked in to see him on 31st Oct. Quicker than I'd expected.

Quite nervous now, just hoping that he will agree to do it and that he's experienced enough in MCR.

I think I'll feel wierd "questioning" his skills and ability, he's a fully trained professional after all, but I can see the need to do so. Any more questions to ask him at the consultation would be very much appreciated, I'll start a list. Thanks to Phantom for the questions already posted.

On a similar subject; even though I know how badly this affects me, my confidence and my life (as does it all of us), does anybody have any advice on what to say should he need "convincing". I'm too old to be giving wedgies and Chinese burns  ;D

Hey fedup, how long 'till Poland? A week or so yeah? All the best mate.

GynO_DuDe, good luck fella. Any tips on surfing the NHS wave would be welcome, and I'll send any I learn yr way too.

J.

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
Hey fedup, how long 'till Poland? A week or so yeah? All the best mate.

i go to Poland on Monday (op on tuesday)
:-/ :D :o ::) :-[ ;D    << ive got all those emotions rolled into one

good luck with your appointment on halloween :)
and let us know how you get on.
Oh yea and a bit of info for the heads up.
Youll more than definately have your testicles inspected by the surgeon  :o
ask him to warm his hands  :-X

Offline samgyne28

• Bronze Member
Hey Fed-up : Good luck with everything.  Let us know how it goes.
If you meet Andreas..negotiate with him for all of us potential patients.  1500 Euros is too much for me.
Thanks buddy.

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
i will see what i can do
but if its a good job the extra 300 euros will still be worth it.
i reccomend booking 2 months in advance and booking your ryanair flight asap that wiull save you a nice chunk of money :)

Offline samgyne28

• Bronze Member
Thanks Fed Up.  Appreciate you gonna try for me.

Really do hope your trip goes well and you have a painless surgery.  I'm anxious to learn about how fast you recover.  I'll be taking sick leave for x amount of days based on your feedback.

Best of luck. ;D

Offline rockstar6181

• Posting Member
Good luck with your appoitment.

I will share my expirences from this week with you.

I had my appoitment at the hosptial breast clinic after a referal from my GP.

I reported at the front desk and went on through to the waiting room. There were quite a few couples in there, mostly around the middle age group. I noticed some men get called up while there wives waited for them.(before this I just assumed they where here for there wives).
Anyhow my turn after about 10-15 mins waiting(not to bad).
I went into the small room and was told to wait. A few mins later the consaltant comes in with 3 other people, 2 of them being students(great). They asked if I minded them being there. I just smiled and said no problem.
First of all he asked a few questions about what the problem was etc, I told him that I had a lump under each nipple and it hurts. He asks about any family histroy with cancer and give him the low down.
The big moment- he asks me to take my shirt off, and place my hands on my hips while sat on the table. I do this and he has a feel, he then asks my to lay down and take my pants down  :-[ this bit was very embrassing esp as thigns just seem to "get smaller", luckly he pulled back the curtian so the students couldnt get a look. After a feel around down there I put my clothes back on and he hits me with the quote of the week.

"I am happy to leave it if your happy to live with it"

I said no I am not actualy and he asked why(looking quite irrated). I told him it hurt and I was depressed about it. He said ok and arranged for me to have a blood test, I asked him about anti estrogens as my gyno only came on in the last 6 weeks, he asked where did i read that and I said online, he then gave me a 3 month perscrioption for amdrix and made a follow up in 3 months.(he mentioned surgey but said you will have to pay for it).

Anyhow I should find out blood test results next week, also I have decied not to take the amdrix stuff as I feel I dont want to mess up my hormone levels.

Sorry for going on so long, I wantede to give you as much info as possible so you can get an idea of what happens.

If I where you id make a list of a couple of questions you might want to ask him, my brain kind of froze up while in there.

Good luck

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024