Author Topic: Best way to find a surgeon?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline i_dont_know

• Silver Member
Hi all.. I'm seriously considering surgery at this point I'm just not really sure what my first step should be. I'd like to find a doctor in the New York area who is familiar with the procedure and experienced but I don't really know where to start. I know there are some doctors here and people here who have had surgery and had good experiences so I guess I'm really just trying to figure out a surgeon I can go to.

Once I find one (or more), what do I do from there? I'm guessing I'd make an appointment for some sort of consultation and then from there decide whether or not I want to go ahead with the surgery?

Also, if I do end up seeing one within the next couple weeks and elect to get the surgery, how soon do you think I'll be able to have it done? Basically, my goal is to be out of a compression vest and just about fully healed before summer time (late May, early June) so if I do feel that surgery is my best option, I'd probably want to have it performed as soon as possible. I don't know for sure, but I do feel that my case is not extreme and is fairly mild.. and I am 24 years old. So I'm assuming my body should be able to heal and recover relatively quickly considering I'm a pretty healthy person. Doing all the research I have and reading about peoples experiences, I think my recovery should go well and shouldn't keep me sidelined for long.

Thanks for any insight or advice you can offer me.

Offline Jake

• Silver Member
  • My body is my temple.
On gynecomastia.org there is a great search engine called "Find A Surgeon".  It doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of surgeons in it, but the ones that are are very experienced.

The best gynecomastia surgeon in New York is Dr. Elliot Jacobs.  I've heard a lot of positive things about him and he visits these boards sometimes.

The only other surgeon listed is Dr. Lealand Deane.  So you could pick one or visit both and pick.  I would look at both to be safe, but Dr. Jacobs seems like the way to go.  You may want someone else though; it's your call.

Yeah, call their office and make an appointment for a consultation.  Some offices will charge a small fee for consultation.  Just look at their website for more information.  After that you can either tell them you want to book the surgery or leave and have time to make up your mind.  You can always think about it and call back later. 

Take your time and good luck!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:10:48 PM by Jake »
Had gynecomastia since age 12.
Surgery performed on July 18, 2008 by
Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis, IN.
(Excision and Liposuction)

"The heart moves on while the mind remembers."

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024