Author Topic: Do I have gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia? help! im frustrated  (Read 5504 times)

Offline teatake2011

• Posting Member
I'm 17 years old almost 18. I have 20% BF. I weigh about 146 pounds. My height is 5ft 7in. I feel hardness under the nipple only when I pinch really hard. They feel like a bunch of marble sized balls clumped together. But underneath both nipples there is a small ball behind both marble sized I believe. but when I pinch the aereola (however you spell it) it just feels like its air inside. When I am cold my chest looks normal. When I press my man boobs all the way down I can feel my ribs and it does not hurt at all and my nipples are not sensitive or painful. I went to a family doctor and he suggested I get a mammogram. The lady who did my mamogram said she does not see any abnormalities in my chest and the results are normal. But my family doctor said I have gynecomastia. My doctor did more testing and it turns out I have a hypothyroid, High TSH levels. I have been taking Synthroid for about a month now. Could the high TSH level be a cause? If my mammogram is normal does it mean its just a bunch of hard fat? What do you guys think? Should I run/excersise to lose my BF? That is my current goal. I'm hoping its  just fat because my younger brother is at 8% BF and his chest is completely flat. I do not have any money for surgery. Any help will be appreciated because this has been runining my life recently.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'm not sure what the obsession is with doing diagnostic studies of gynecomastia in a teen.  Unless there is concern about cancer, a mammogram is a meaningless and wasteful test.  It's interesting that you have abnormal laboratory studies, and I'm curious if you had other signs or symptoms that go along with your thyroid abnormalities.  Hormonal fluctuation is normal during the teens, and the development of gynecomastia is common, unfortunately. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with your thyroid abnormality.   If the condition has been present longer than 3 years, it may improve with diet and exercise, but you may still have some puffiness of the nipples.  Of course, there's no reason that you can't pursue a regimen of diet and exercise to bring down your body fat and see what happens.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline teatake2011

• Posting Member
Thanks doctor! So you are saying that the area aroun the nipples should become flatter with exercise and lowering body fat? Except the nipples will stay puffy

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024